Remembering Record Stores

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had Crazy Larrys and Believe In Music. Then came Vinyl Solution. About Napster time ( 2000ish ) they were all gone. Now with the resurgence of vinyl we are back to several real good record stores......Corner Record Shop and Vertigo Music. I rarely go there as they dont carry much in they way of CDs. I always enjoy Reckless Records in Chicago when we go down to see the kids.

Funny, Ricky, up until a few years ago, we also had a store called the Vinyl Solution which specialized in used/new vinyl as well as new/used CDs [and rarely, a few SACDs]. The owner, Jeff, used to give me great deals [I always paid in CASH] but one day he was especially perturbed as numerous complaints forced him to change the name of his store as it reminded them of the final solution ........How things had changed with the 'Politically Correct' movement!

Funny, Ricky, up until a few years ago, we also had a store called the Vinyl Solution which specialized in used/new vinyl as well as new/used CDs [and rarely, a few SACDs]. The owner, Jeff, used to give me great deals [I always paid in CASH] but one day he was especially perturbed as numerous complaints forced him to change the name of his store as it reminded them of the final solution ........How things had changed with the 'Politically Correct' movement!
When I read the first sentence and saw "Vinyl Solution" I kind of chuckled and thought that the point or that name was that it was a play on words with "Final Solution". Otherwise I could not fathom the point of pairing the word "vinyl" with the word "solution". The vinyl solution to what? ...digital music? I didn't think that was something that needed to be solved. :ROFLMAO:

When I read the first sentence and saw "Vinyl Solution" I kind of chuckled and thought that the point or that name was that it was a play on words with "Final Solution". Otherwise I could not fathom the point of pairing the word "vinyl" with the word "solution". The vinyl solution to what? ...digital music? I didn't think that was something that needed to be solved. :ROFLMAO:

But at the time the Vinyl Solution opened, CDs were taking over the record' buying market and the name was certainly applicable......that Vinyl [new and used], although SCARCE, was definitely STILL available. The store also stocked new and used CDs ..... some quite rare.

I grew up in south Florida in the 80s. My stores were specs and vibrations. I would either walk or ride my bike. When I started driving I would go to peaches. I spent a few summers in my teens and would visit white rabbit in the village. My wife sometimes travels for work. When I have the opportunity to accompany her I always research the shops in the area.

I am old enough to remember King Karol in Flushing Queens, the EJ Korvettes, Alexander’s and even Gertz had a record department.

I did most of my very early record shopping in a small discount store in North Flushing just south of Whitestone called SS Linds. Bought mostly 45s there.

Eventually when I began to work in Manhattan I discovered Tower and J&R Music.

Good times.

King Karol! Holy moly, I haven't heard or thought about that in eons. I never actually got there as I lived further out on the Island (West Islip, on the South Shore) but I was very aware of the name and the logo since I spent my summers in Far Rockaway and we did our main shopping up at King's Plaza.

My main jams were Looney Tunes in West Babylon and Record Stop in Lake Ronkonkoma (both still there!), but I also used to hit up a very small shop in Babylon where I bought 12" singles and I'm not even sure I ever knew the name (I don't remember it having a catchy one, it was just like "Babylon Records and Tapes" or something like that)... and of course Sam Goody/The Wall/etc. in the Gardiner Manor Mall since I could ride my bike there in the pre-car days.

Actually, jeez, they did have a Gertz at that mall way back... there's another name I haven't heard in ages. I don't remember whether they had records there but what great memories of those weird little nooks in department stores where they did... I would peel off and hang there while my mom shopped elsewhere... that's how I found the pre-Tears for Fears 10" Graduate EP (U.S. Version minted after TFF had some success) at the old Times Square Stores in West Bab! Good times, indeed.

And then there was the Vinyl Vendors mail-order service! RIP!

Last edited:
I remember a record store with a wall of headphones that you could preview albums on request.
Can't remember the names anymore.
Maybe @Quad Linda does, as it was on the west side of Chicago.
We had a store in the Baltimore area call record and tape traders. In the pre-cd days they would let you "rent" an album for 24 hours. Used were $1 and new were $2. Needless to say, there was a period of several months where my brother and I would rent several albums at a time, record them on cassette, and return them. I am sure we weren't the only ones doing that. I don't remember if they were forced to "cease and desist" that practice or if the advent of the cd made it moot. I seem to think it was the former.

I bought my 45s in Great Eastern (a NJ area department store.) Many years later I worked for Crazy Eddie's in the record department. We didn't get much of a discount on records, but I still stocked up.

I had a couple of buddies who worked at Crazy Eddies in Hartsdale, NY and they used to give me music CDs/laser discs for sometimes a buck a piece! And of course [Crazy] Eddie Antar himself used to come into his various stores and take ALL the CASH out of the registers [TAX FRAUD???]

It was great while it lasted but like ALL GOOD THINGS .........

I had a couple of buddies who worked at Crazy Eddies in Hartsdale, NY and they used to give me music/laser discs for sometimes a buck a piece! And of course Eddie Antar himself used to come into his various stores and take ALL the CASH out of the registers [TAX FRAUD???]

It was great while it lasted but like ALL GOOD THINGS .........
Eddie, real name Eddie Antar, code name "Kelso" in the stores, was an odd character. Very impulsive and hot headed. Family members, even distant cousins, were the only ones in management. An announcement was made over the store's loudspeakers....and would use the word "Kelso" in it.... if they knew he was on his way for a visit. You had to be on your best behavior. We later come to find out he is a criminal. Fraud.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Eddie

Eddie, real name Eddie Antar, code name "Kelso" in the stores, was an odd character. Very impulsive and hot headed. Family members, even distant cousins, were the only ones in management. An announcement was made over the store's loudspeakers....and would use the word "Kelso" in it.... if they knew he was on his way for a visit. You had to be on your best behavior. We later come to find out he is a criminal. Fraud.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Eddie

There was so much 'rampant' internal theft among employees going on in the store I cited and another location nearby it was inevitable the chain was doomed to fail.

And those annoying TV commercials ......

There was so much 'rampant' internal theft among employees going on in the store I cited and another location nearby it was inevitable the chain was doomed to fail.

And those annoying TV commercials ......

You gotta love Dr Jerry Carroll. He was so well known on those commercials. Lol I remember one that had Jerry in a duck costume. Never said a word, just waved his hands around quacking. And everyone knew it was a Crazy Eddie's commercial. 😂 Annoying as they were, it was amazing marketing.

I remember a record store with a wall of headphones that you could preview albums on request.
Can't remember the names anymore.
Maybe @Quad Linda does, as it was on the west side of Chicago.

Sal, are you referring to Chicago Digital in Oak Park? Every disc was behind the counter, only the booklets were on display. So, you could audition CD's.

I visited King Karol on the upper east side. It was in the 90's. Perhaps their last
remaining store.

Remember long boxes?

I remember the good ole daze at Yonge&Dundas in downtown Toronto…the 2 biggest record stores in the world….these were the daze before Starbucks became the meeting place where EVERYONE met up to talk about MUSIC….what else …as the song goes “THOSE WERE THE DAZE MY FRIENDS, WE’D THOUGHT THEY’D NEVER END”….😭😭😭
1644286660847.jpeg

1644286805481.jpeg

1644287048388.jpeg

Last edited:
In the late 70s, all the large record stores I remember, Wherehouse, Towers... had a head shop next door. We'd go in an spend a couple of hours browsing the cut out bins... I got a lot of Clapton, Cream, Traffic, 60s English Rock, etc... but stuff like DG, Steele Dan, The Allmans, Supertramp, most jazz, etc... always commanded five or sixe bucks! Yowza!

No Zappa in the cut outs either.

This after "visiting" the adjacent "glass jar" and poster store. ;-)

No wonder I ended up with multiple copies of cut outs I liked... like Thelonious Monk's Straight No Chaser. ;-)

I'd get home... "Wot? I got this already... oh well..."

Then, when LPs started to fade away, I'd drive up to Pasadena, Pooh Bah Records, to the used record shops... and they had some great ones in Costa Mesa too. Pooh Bah is still around, sort of, but LA County is absolutely nuts with this Wuhan Flu, so I avoid LA County if I can help it.

For the last 20 years or so, I've done it online, like the subscriptions to the Classic and Mercury digital reissues... but honestly, I don't buy much anymore, I got 1000s so I got my own library.

I have noticed that the prices are through the roof though. I just bought two LPs in a near by audio shop, Excel Audio, mostly to support them, but the prices are through the roof. I supposed I ought to rethink the insurance on my LP collection. Those Elvis Classic LPs are worth a mint nowadays!

Last edited:
I grew up in south Florida in the 80s. My stores were specs and vibrations. I would either walk or ride my bike. When I started driving I would go to peaches. I spent a few summers in my teens and would visit white rabbit in the village. My wife sometimes travels for work. When I have the opportunity to accompany her I always research the shops in the area.
Yeah. I remember Specs, we had a few in the Lakeland area, bright shiny stores full of LP's and CD's. I moved to North Florida in '83 and haven't been in a record store since. Sadly.

We had a store in the Baltimore area call record and tape traders. In the pre-cd days they would let you "rent" an album for 24 hours. Used were $1 and new were $2. Needless to say, there was a period of several months where my brother and I would rent several albums at a time, record them on cassette, and return them. I am sure we weren't the only ones doing that. I don't remember if they were forced to "cease and desist" that practice or if the advent of the cd made it moot. I seem to think it was the former.

Maybe it was the passage of the 2/15/1972 law that actually made copying records and tapes illegal. All records made before that date are still fair game.

Back