Requesting Updates for the Popular "Asian Market" Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
I am currently working on the Popular Asian Market Discography and cannot place the title or artist of this Crown release. Does anyone have any info?
Crown GW-5368Q (RM) [Japan]

UNKNOWN -Unknown. Crown GW-5368Q (RM) [Japan]c.jpg
UNKNOWN -Unknown. Crown GW-5368Q (RM) [Japan]a.jpg

Last edited:
I am currently working on the Popular Asian Market Discography and cannot place the title or artist of this Crown release. Does anyone have any info?
Crown GW-5368Q (RM) [Japan]

Plugging the kanji on the right side of the sleeve in to google translate, this is what I come up with (from right to left):

日本の抒情名曲集 Vol. 2 ("Japanese Lyrical Masterpieces Collection Vol. 2")
出船 ("Departure")
からたちの花 ("Flower Buds")

and the text in the white boxes on the obi-strip, again from right to left:

出船 ("Departure")
花のまち ("Flower Town")
春の唄 ("Spring Song")

The 'Vol. 2' designation suggests there's probably a Vol. 1 as well.

Plugging the kanji on the right side of the sleeve in to google translate, this is what I come up with (from right to left):

Wow, How did you do that? I need a tutorial! Thanks.
So now the questions is does it file under popular, classical or anthology. I always struggle with that info along with who the artist is.
I regret not using the classical page format of listing by catalog number. It makes it more of a pain until all the info comes in.

The Popular Asian Market Discography has been updated and the temporary file can be seen here.
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpasia-TEMP.htm
Thanks to steelydave for the motivation for the update. The 1st one was met with lackluster enthusiasm but I just had to do it for myself.
After he started the threads on Japanese labels and some of the auctions he captured I was inspired by the photos of rare gold.
I really enjoyed using his posts as a check list and the Q8 Additions make my heart beat.
This is by far the hardest page to work on as translating and info can be scarce. Steelydave really helped on the new tape additions and for that I say THANK YOU!

Note I still need to add some of his additions to the Movie, Popular, Classical (regretting that task), Sampler pages so if you do not see it here that is why.

Last edited:
Wow, How did you do that? I need a tutorial! Thanks.
So now the questions is does it file under popular, classical or anthology. I always struggle with that info along with who the artist is.
I regret not using the classical page format of listing by catalog number. It makes it more of a pain until all the info comes in.

The way I did the translation is by going to http://translate.google.com - pick 'Japanese' for the left box and 'English' for the right. Then in the bottom right corner of the 'Japanese' box, you'll see an icon that looks like a pencil - click that and it will activate a pad you can 'draw' on with your mouse cursor. Basically what you do from there is hand draw each symbol, and Google will show you a bunch of kanji symbols below that it thinks you may have drawn, and you pick the correct one. It takes some practice to get the hang of it - I don't know anything about Japanese but the order the strokes are done in seems to affect the accuracy of the translation, and I've had best luck when I've drawn the symbols going from left to right, top to bottom. There are occasionally more complex ones that it just (for whatever reason, most likely my bad penmanship) won't pick up, so usually what I do in those cases is paste the symbols I have got right in to Google (with quotation marks around them so it does an exact string search) and see if it turns up any results for the album or string of characters I'm looking for and it often does.

As for where to put that album specifically, I'd say in the Japanese Popular page - I suspect it's one of those "golden strings" type studio orchestras and it's probably billed somewhere on the jacket or label, just we can't see it. At least with the title and catalog number you're halfway to digging it up.

The Popular Asian Market Discography has been updated and the temporary file can be seen here.
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpasia-TEMP.htm
Thanks to steelydave for the motivation for the update. The 1st one was met with lackluster enthusiasm but I just had to do it for myself.
After he started the threads on Japanese labels and some of the auctions he captured I was inspired by the photos of rare gold.
I really enjoyed using his posts as a check list and the Q8 Additions make my heart beat.
This is by fare the hardest page to work on as translating and info can be scarce. Steelydave really helped on the new tape additions and for that I say THANK YOU!

Note I still need to add some of his additions to the Movie, Popular, Classical (regretting that task), Sampler pages so if you do not see it here that is why.

I'm glad I could help, and I know it's probably a bit of a thankless task but it's definitely worth doing, your quad discographies are an invaluable resource to every fan and collector, myself included.

One thing I noticed straight off is the artist 'SIMMONS' should be 'SIMONS' (as in two Paul Simons), I think that album is a collection of covers of his songs. I also noticed that there are quite a few artists where the albums don't seem to be listed in either alphabetical order or catalog number order (not sure which you're using, or maybe neither) but it's a minor quibble really.

I really enjoy "the thrill of the hunt" and think it's pretty cool that we're still finding previously unknown quad releases like the RCA Victor Q8's and the King and EMI Japan QRs.

I think my next checklist project is going to be for UK quad releases - I have a record and tape guide from 1974 that lists quad releases, and @fredblue was kind enough to buy and photograph for me another one from 1976, so between the two I have the titles and catalogue numbers for nearly everything released by RCA, CBS (Columbia/Epic), EMI, Decca, Pye/Precision Tapes, and W/E/A.

There are also a couple of smaller European labels like the Swiss label Pick/Classic Pick that I don't think have been fully investigated - the common link there seems to be the German engineer Hellmuth Kolbe, who worked on some of E. Power Biggs's quad albums that were recorded in cathedrals in Germany and Austria.

I think my next checklist project is going to be for UK quad releases - I have a record and tape guide from 1974 that lists quad releases, and @fredblue was kind enough to buy and photograph for me another one from 1976, so between the two I have the titles and catalogue numbers for nearly everything released by RCA, CBS (Columbia/Epic), EMI, Decca, Pye/Precision Tapes, and W/E/A.

Definitely looking forward to that! You did a great job on that UK thread from a few months back. I'm still not entirely convinced every quad release from that EMI "Studio 2" label was released in discrete form on Q8. I've never seen any evidence of albums like Manuel & The Music Of The Mountains' Carnival and Mandingo's The Primeval Rhythm Of Life getting Q8 releases, only SQ LP. Perhaps you have a lead on this? Hardly popular titles, but still it's interesting...

I also noticed that there are quite a few artists where the albums don't seem to be listed in either alphabetical order or catalog number order (not sure which you're using, or maybe neither) but it's a minor quibble really.

I have been using the album title to list alphabetically under the artists but mistakes are possible, if you have the time let me know. Artist should be alphabetically also.

There are also a couple of smaller European labels like the Swiss label Pick/Classic Pick that I don't think have been fully investigated - the common link there seems to be the German engineer Hellmuth Kolbe, who worked on some of E. Power Biggs's quad albums that were recorded in cathedrals in Germany and Austria.

I have about 2100 updates to review for the classical discography which include Pick so If I can help let me know.

I'm still not entirely convinced every quad release from that EMI "Studio 2" label was released in discrete form on Q8. I've never seen any evidence of albums like Manuel & The Music Of The Mountains' Carnival and Mandingo's The Primeval Rhythm Of Life getting Q8 releases, only SQ LP. Perhaps you have a lead on this? Hardly popular titles, but still it's interesting...

Manuel & The Music Of The Mountains' Carnival-EMI Q8 TWO 337 (Q8) [UK]

crappy photo

MANUEL & THE MUSIC OF THE MOUNTAINS -Carnival. EMI Q8 TWO 337 (Q8) [UK].jpg

Nothing on Mandingo's The Primeval Rhythm Of Life

Mark, spotted this on eBay:

Akira Ishikawa - Road to Kilimanjaro (QPF-2003)

qpf 2003 - akira ishikawa - road to kilimanjaro 1.jpgqpf 2003 - akira ishikawa - road to kilimanjaro 2.jpg

I noticed you have this in your discography as QRF-2002 for both the QR and the Q8 - could it be you have the catalog number wrong?

Also, the fact that this is 2003 suggests there might be unknown titles occupying at the very least 2001 and 2002...

Thanks Dave, I do not have the Q8 listed but listed the reel twice and need to consolidate with out the bands. Does the Q8 title translate different than the reel?

AKIRA ISHIKAWA & COUNT BUFFALO -
The Way To Kilimanjaro. Pony Canyon QRF-2002 (QR) [Japan]
AKIRA ISHIKAWA & THE FREEDOM UNITY -
The Way To Kilimanjaro. Pony Canyon QRF-2002 (QR) [Japan]
AKIRA ISHIKAWA -The Way To Kilimanjaro. Pony Canyon QRF-2002 (QR) [Japan]a.jpg

AKIRA ISHIKAWA -The Way To Kilimanjaro. Pony Canyon QRF-2002 (QR) [Japan]d.jpg

AKIRA ISHIKAWA -The Way To Kilimanjaro. Pony Canyon QRF-2002 (QR) [Japan]b.jpg

AKIRA ISHIKAWA -The Way To Kilimanjaro. Pony Canyon QRF-2002 (QR) [Japan]c.jpg

Thanks Dave, I do not have the Q8 listed but listed the reel twice and need to consolidate with out the bands. Does the Q8 title translate different than the reel?

I haven't translated it but the album title on the back of the reel is the same as the Q8:

1710455835031.png

1710455915168.png

All the song titles in Japanese match up too.

Back