Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now, this is welcome news, and that's putting it lightly! Listen To The Music is one of my Top 10 favourite tracks of the '70s, so I'll be awaiting this release eagerly. Definitely also looking forward to Eyes Of Silver, I Cheat The Hangman, and Take Me In Your Arms..., just to name a few. :love:

No it's not a joke. It's a testament to the superb quality of THIS recording. Ted Templeman and Don Landee created a work of art in it's analog form that was far superior to many of the full digital recordings made later on. I'm not understand the hostility and the distortion that I was trashing other fine analog recordings.
I don't know that it is hostility, but the notion that analog vs digital has that much bearing on the level of sound quality is uninformed. Again, there are literally tens of thousands of wonderful sounding analog recordings. The recorder is just a machine, the artists who work with it are the largest factor in the final product. I asked if it was a joke because there are many audiophiles I know who swear just the opposite, that analog is somehow inherently superior to digital.

I have "The Captain and Me" on DVD-A, Stereo/5.1 both versions are superb quality. It's hard to believe it's an analog recording. Wonderful surround mix by Elliot Scheiner. The original produced by Ted Templeman engineered by Don Landee. Those guys knew what they are doing in 1973. The material and recording quality makes this one of the most prized discs in my collection. If this quadio set is released, GET IT!

hate to disagree with what is likely just a matter of personal taste—-but while I love “The Captain and Me” and I think it sounds fine, I find it far from one of the best sounding recordings of the analog era or even of 1973. I think the drums sound weak throughout (a common complaint I have of Templeman/Landee recordings) and the rockers “Without You” and “Evil Woman” sound like mush. the vocals are so buried on the latter I can barely make out what he’s saying.

For the best of ‘73 start with Dark Side of the Moon and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. And Headhunters. Because you can hear those in surround. :). Then try Countdown to Ecstasy and Innervisions.

For those curious QQ'ers: Steel Woole = foragingrhino, so you know the info is REAL. He's been trying to get this thing out for a few years, as you all know. He's just as happy to see it scheduled as we are!

:QQlove
Well... welcome back - whatever you want to call yourself these days;):)

hate to disagree with what is likely just a matter of personal taste—-but while I love “The Captain and Me” and I think it sounds fine, I find it far from one of the best sounding recordings of the analog era or even of 1973. I think the drums sound weak throughout (a common complaint I have of Templeman/Landee recordings) and the rockers “Without You” and “Evil Woman” sound like mush. the vocals are so buried on the latter I can barely make out what he’s saying.

Evil Woman does indeed sound coarse, but I think it’s clearly intentional. I called it a “ nasty” blues rocker, with tracks mic’d and equalized accordingly. Sounded pretty distorted on my Warner Q8 but just fine on the DVDA. Also lots of (appropriate) reverb, though I never had trouble hearing the vocals. Deliberate “nastifying” of edgy rock tracks was a thing in the early 70’s — for an extreme example, check out the (mono) single mix of Three Dog Night’s Liar, featuring vocals recorded in a bathroom and most tracks dialed up to distortion level.

No complaints here with any of the Doobie drum sound through 1976, but I can kind of see your point re Minute by Minute. “Well-recorded” does not always mean to my taste. I love Alan Parsons recordings overall but have never been a fan of his thinnish drum kits with boomy snares.

Without You is such an awful track I never listen to it. Can’t believe it actually charted on the Hot 100 as I never once heard it on radio or a dentist’s office.

Evil Woman does indeed sound coarse, but I think it’s clearly intentional. I called it a “ nasty” blues rocker, with tracks mic’d and equalized accordingly. Sounded pretty distorted on my Warner Q8 but just fine on the DVDA. Also lots of (appropriate) reverb, though I never had trouble hearing the vocals Deliberately “nastifying” edgy rock tracks was a thing in the early 70’s — for an extreme example, check out the (mono) single mix of Three Dog Night’s Liar, featuring vocals recorded in a bathroom and most tracks dialed up to distortion level.

No complaints here with any of the Doobie drum sound through 1976, but I can kind of see your point re Minute by Minute. “Well-recorded” does not always mean to my taste. I love Alan Parsons recordings overall but have never been a fan of his thinnish drum kits with boomy snares.

Without You is such an awful track I never listen to it. Can’t believe it actually charted on the Hot 100 as I never once heard it on radio or a dentist’s office.
I don’t believe it ever did chart. I don’t think it was released as a single. Not in the US anyway.

I think the Johnston era albums all have a ridiculously weak snare sound. Even for early 70s.

I don’t believe it ever did chart. I don’t think it was released as a single. Not in the US anyway.

For some reason I thought it had charted but it was just the flipside to Long Train Runnin’. Some B sides have cracked a Billboard chart but thankfully not this one.

I think the Johnston era albums all have a ridiculously weak snare sound. Even for early 70s.

I’ll listen again but the snare sounds fine to me on China Grove and other tracks. Maybe you like it brighter or with more punch.

Evil Woman does indeed sound coarse, but I think it’s clearly intentional. I called it a “ nasty” blues rocker, with tracks mic’d and equalized accordingly. Sounded pretty distorted on my Warner Q8 but just fine on the DVDA. Also lots of (appropriate) reverb, though I never had trouble hearing the vocals. Deliberate “nastifying” of edgy rock tracks was a thing in the early 70’s — for an extreme example, check out the (mono) single mix of Three Dog Night’s Liar, featuring vocals recorded in a bathroom and most tracks dialed up to distortion level.

Although The Captain And Me has the bulk of the "killer" songs, I've always preferred Toulouse Street as a body-of-work album. I've never really taken a liking to Dark Eyed Cajun Woman, Without You and Evil Woman on TCAM. But I never skip tracks when listening to Toulouse Street. It was one of my first CD-4 records and I played the heck out of it. I don't have the other two albums in this upcoming set, so I'm very much looking forward to hearing them....in QUAD!!!

Oh, and I prefer not to go to a dentist's office for my casual listening. :p

Although The Captain And Me has the bulk of the "killer" songs, I've always preferred Toulouse Street as a body-of-work album. I've never really taken a liking to Dark Eyed Cajun Woman, Without You and Evil Woman on TCAM. But I never skip tracks when listening to Toulouse Street. It was one of my first CD-4 records and I played the heck out of it. I don't have the other two albums in this upcoming set, so I'm very much looking forward to hearing them....in QUAD!!!

Funny how everyone's tastes are different.....on a side note, Dark Eyed Cajun Woman (multi-channel) absolutely always blows me away. The louder, the better. Wonderful to my dumb ears. lol

I’ve only owned the stereo LP of Toulouse Street; and enjoyed it, but never really appreciated it until I heard the Quad. I’m sure there are gobs more albums out there that would affect me that way. I guess that’s why most of us are here.

Funny how everyone's tastes are different.....on a side note, Dark Eyed Cajun Woman (multi-channel) absolutely always blows me away. The louder, the better. Wonderful to my dumb ears. lol
Well Gene, I am paying for my transgression as I’ve had a triple ear worm of Dark Eyed Cajun Woman, Without You, and Evil Woman ever since I hit the “Post reply” button on my earlier post. I should know better by now!

The Doobie Brothers at Home today performing Listen to the Music

Listen To The Music.jpg

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-the-music-at-home-covid-performance-1012723/

I tend to disagree about "Without You" to me it us the hardest rocking tune the band ever did, and maybe my favorite song of theirs. I would have never known of the song until someone got me their greatest hits album, cant remember which one as their a few.

For some reason I thought it had charted but it was just the flipside to Long Train Runnin’. Some B sides have cracked a Billboard chart but thankfully not this one.

I’ll listen again but the snare sounds fine to me on China Grove and other tracks. Maybe you like it brighter or with more punch.

"Without You" is on the "Best of the Doobies" so a lot of people might think it was a single for that reason. I personally like the track fine. I like it better than "Evil Woman" which sounds more like a filler/throwaway track to me.

Yeah, I guess I like the snare with more 'punch' if that's the word. A little deeper tone and louder in the mix. It sounds like a little piccolo jazz-type snare most of the time. Which for a rock band doesn't really suit, IMO. Throughout the 70s, rock band drum mixes were continually getting bigger and beefier and more up front. And the Doobies usually sounded like they were still mixing the drums for the 60s during this period.

A lot of that is personal taste, of course. But they were hardly pushing the boundaries of what could be done with analog recording on these albums by almost any objective measure.

I actually like the sound of "Toulouse Street" a lot. It has a more open, laid back, early 70s feel and everything on the album is clear and crisp. I think "Vices" sounds better than "Captain". At least every track is consistent throughout. "Captain" suffers from too many overdubs that end up with things getting buried on some tracks.

"Stampede" is all over the place. 'Sweet Maxine' is a killer track that I think might have been a bigger hit except for the buried vocals, The backgrounds sound like they were recorded in a bathroom. Where's that great, killer, in your face vocal sound that was one of the reasons "Black Water" went to #1? Lay off the reverb! But the bridge sounds great. Guitars get nice and crisp again.

Looks like an ad for "Just for Men". Why do old guys insist on dying their hair. Not too obvious.......

It's only obvious when it's obvious. Lots of old guys color their hair but you never notice because it's done well. C'mon, Tommy. You can't afford a good hairdresser? Did you do this yourself?

That clip is really good though. For guys in their 70s, their voices still sound great!

Last edited:
That clip is really good though. For guys in their 70s, their voices still sound great!

Sure do.

When I saw them live in Las Vegas maybe 6-7 years ago Patrick’s voice was completely shot but not here.

I’d bet TJ did in fact color his own hair.Don’t forget most of us haven’t been near a salon in nearly three months.

I tend to disagree about "Without You" to me it us the hardest rocking tune the band ever did, and maybe my favorite song of theirs. I would have never known of the song until someone got me their greatest hits album, cant remember which one as their a few.

OK gents. For my penance, I listened to Dark Eyed Cajun Woman, Without You and Evil Woman all in a row...and no other tracks off of that album. I'll probably do this again some time as these songs have a certain synergy when played in this sequence all in a row. Try it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 7.46.26 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back