Richard Whittaker IAA Interview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another great job Jonathan, thanks!

I'd be interested in knowing more about his de-mix techniques (but could be a KFC secret sauce affair IDK.)

I also noticed he dodged this question of yours-

"Do you believe there’s a significant difference in sound quality between the 768 kbps Dolby Digital Plus codec used by the streaming services for Atmos delivery and the ADM masters?"

Here's a screen grab of his recent Dolby Atmos mixes from his web site, do we know if all these are up on Apple Music - spatial audio?

starboard.audio - Atmos.jpg

A lot of interesting things from this interview including:

Last year, I introduced Bob to Dolby Atmos and he absolutely loves it. In fact, we have a bunch of Atmos projects scheduled for release this year!

Some of the most beautiful words in the English language.

I also appreciated the answer to potential difficulties in matching effects/balances to the original stereo. It helps me better understand just how much effort goes into a really good Atmos mix.

Thanks once again to Jonathon for feeding our music geek. Always interesting reading these interviews. I also was pleased with TLSOHHB. Kudos to Mr. Whittaker.
One thing is beginning to hold clear in the remixing in Atmos of the earlier works; staying true to the original stereo intent as much as possible. While I laud these efforts to be true to our cherished albums, I'm also not opposed to a tiny bit of adventurism if it improves the overall sound field for we listeners with actual Atmos speaker setups.

I don't care much for the "gimmicky" sounds, I'll call it, but sometimes moving/repositioning sounds can be done quite well. Out of respect for Mr. Whittaker I won't compare his work against others here.

These two examples of albums with some songs with a lot of "movement" are of course new works and not subjects of reworks of older albums, but two newer discs I find especially well done are the recent Tears For Fears and xPropaganda.

Back