Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to mention, permits with building inspectors will happen.
This build is not being done without permits, guaranteed.

What you are referring to is electrical rough in and must be signed off. Then insulation R-13 minimum in walls, once those two inspections are completed then it is ok to drywall.
Trust me Ricky knows all this.
My post was in response to @MidiMagic, who said he’d be looking for a new single-story house, not to @cbmmm3, who is building a new structure.

Electrical inspection depends on both the jurisdiction and the extent of modification. I recently had a kitchen remodel done, and the “inspection” only verified GFI function, and missed the fact that the electrician wired up the kitchen to the wrong circuit. Most DIY projects don’t require inspection.

A concrete pro once told me his concrete floors were guaranteed to crack. The trick is to get them to crack in the right place.

It's not a trick, it's reinforced concrete structural design. Reinforced concrete is meant to crack in tension (the bottom) with the rebar picking up the bending load. The concrete itself, along with some rebar, picks up the compression load at the top. If concrete cracks/fails in compression, you are in deep doo doo if you are inside that building. There is no warning as the concrete member 'explodes' upon failure.

a ha ---fellow GC ?
I let my walls set 2 weeks before backfill. The walls will be moistened for cure by Mom N as we have rain tonite, tomorrow aft, wed morn, fri nite.
I sump crock every house . Footing and foundation drain every house. EVERY HOUSE. No if ands or buts. Pea stone every ground level opening.
I adhere to the 'over engineer' build process. Adds cost but also adds piece of mind

I poured concrete once.
You never pour it more than once. The next time you deal with it will be with a jackhammer/diamond saw! Usually accompanied by the comment "Oops! Or often something stronger. And $$$$ will be involved.

Skin It Back

Forms came off on Monday. Then the rains came. Needs to dry out so that progress can be made.. Need sand---lots of sand !!!!!!
Need to put 2" foam on exterior walls and need to do plumbing underground. And --- underground piping for speaker cables !!. Once all that is done,
backfill of walls to complete and then pour the cement floor. Hope to have all this done by April 9 --weather permitting. Wood framing
to commence once the above is done

345foundationbarn.jpg

You know, Ricky, you've got enough space on that land to erect several buildings. One specifically for video and Atmos; one specifically for 5.1 surround sound (no video) with identical speakers all around; and one specifically for a pair of 10 ft tall giant stereo speakers.

While you are at it, you can add a fourth building exclusively for an indoor/outdoor G-scale giant model railroad, but with spurs to the other buildings. Then you can put your bar in only one of the buildings because your beer will be delivered to the others via the model railroad.

You know, Ricky, you've got enough space on that land to erect several buildings. One specifically for video and Atmos; one specifically for 5.1 surround sound (no video) with identical speakers all around; and one specifically for a pair of 10 ft tall giant stereo speakers.

While you are at it, you can add a fourth building exclusively for an indoor/outdoor G-scale giant model railroad, but with spurs to the other buildings. Then you can put your bar in only one of the buildings because your beer will be delivered to the others via the model railroad.
now THAT would be freaking awesome !!!!! Ill need to win that Powerball jackpot to afford it. Or own a funeral parlor...........

Skin It Back

Forms came off on Monday. Then the rains came. Needs to dry out so that progress can be made.. Need sand---lots of sand !!!!!!
Need to put 2" foam on exterior walls and need to do plumbing underground. And --- underground piping for speaker cables !!. Once all that is done,
backfill of walls to complete and then pour the cement floor. Hope to have all this done by April 9 --weather permitting. Wood framing
to commence once the above is done

View attachment 103946
Ricky, can you explain the foundation plan? It looks like they leveled at a door sill with walls that are 3- feet high. Are those additional sills in the walls at the top? Where will the final grade be on the walls?

Ricky, can you explain the foundation plan? It looks like they leveled at a door sill with walls that are 3- feet high. Are those additional sills in the walls at the top? Where will the final grade be on the walls?
due to layout and MBO of the house, the barn foundation walls went from 42" tall to 6' tall. This means even more sand at 7 dollars per yard and a 3000 dollar uptick in the invoice from my wall guy. See the pic below. This is the garage doors on the front side ( the open slot is so that we can get the skid steer in there ) and a service door around the corner to the right. This shows you how much sand needs to truck in this week

345foundationbarn.jpg

Back