Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slow progress

Saturday was 2" thick R10 white foam in 2 foot by 8 foot sections screwed and glued to the inside of the foundation walls. So - this now allows the excavator to finish the backfill of the barn on Monday

345barmwallfoam.jpg

once the backfill is done there are 2 major items that need to happen before I pour the cement floor
1. Plumbing underground work incl. garage drain
2. 2" Dia schedule 40 PVC piping in the ground to all points where a speaker will be located, running back to where the amplifier will be located

Once the above happens, the cement floor can be poured and then its on to the biggie ----FRAMING !!!. I am hoping to start framing in 10 days

once the backfill is done there are 2 major items that need to happen before I pour the cement floor
2. 2" Dia schedule 40 PVC piping in the ground to all points where a speaker will be located, running back to where the amplifier will be located

Once the above happens, the cement floor can be poured and then its on to the biggie ----FRAMING !!!. I am hoping to start framing in 10 days
IMG_6963.png

Ricky, what is the purpose of the foam insulation? It doesn't insulate any living space does it? I know it's a requirement for a basement wall here, and it would also be for a crawlspace, but basically what you have there is a deep footer.

When I built , they wouldn't pour the pad until the framing was complete and there was a roof in place. Then they poured through a chute through the basement windows. They also had to lay poly tarps under the concrete to prevent any radon gas from entering the structure.

Last edited:
RICKO'S LOCAL 'BODEGO' [photo courtesy of cbmmm3 Ltd]
newsalemgeneral.jpg

Ricko: "Whatdoyoumean you Don't carry SHM, blu spec, MQA and UHQ CDs? And Domaine De La Romanee wine???????"

Proprietor of Bodego: "But sir we do have an extensive bin of used 8 track tapes ..... as well as Ripple, Beef Jerky and crispy pork rinds!"

Ricko: HUH!

Last edited:
Ricky, what is the purpose of the foam insulation? It doesn't insulate any living space does it? I know it's a requirement for a basement wall here, and it would also be for a crawlspace, but basically what you have there is a deep footer.

When I built , they wouldn't pour the pad until the framing was complete and there was a roof in place. Then they poured through a chute through the basement windows. They also had to lay poly tarps under the concrete to prevent any radon gas from entering the structure.
The foam insulation goes down 2 feet from top of slab. This helps to keep the soil below the foundation from freezing and expanding. Important for the foundations longevity. If the soil near and below freezes it can add pressure to the foundation - with shifting and cracking. And it helps keep the floor warm

Yes - a house with foundation walls - and a basement, it is best to pour later after all load bearing is up. But my barn is - essentially - a slab on grade project - ( no basement )

never kiss and tell Ralphie
Until you see the WHITES of their PINK eyes!

Looking REALLY GOOD, Ricko! And hopefully by Christmas with your JVC projector and 120" Screen you'll be invested in VIDEO so we can discuss the current state of serious cinema! 🎬🎥

Back