Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are no such laws in the US for residential builds that I know of. I know people that have many acres of land surrounding their house. If you can afford the land, you build what you want. My brother built his dream house a few years back. 70 acres of land. His driveway to get from the road to his house is 1/2 mile long.
You guys are lucky with so much space in the USA. If you fly over the UK you see a village or town frequently, when I've flown across the USA the distance between small towns is huge in comparison, and lots of wilderness between them.

You guys are lucky with so much space in the USA. If you fly over the UK you see a village or town frequently, when I've flown across the USA the distance between small towns is huge in comparison, and lots of wilderness between them.
Well Dunc...doing a tiny bit of research, the entire UK is smaller than both Michigan and Pennsylvania in land mass! At one time, England [like Rome] included many foreign territories but like all good things over the years it slipped through their royal fingers!

And truth be told, a LOT of the US is uninhabitable which is why our cities are so overcrowded! There's very little work to be found in the 'hinterlands!'

That's true, but you do have some large estates outside the cities that include a lot of land right? And ya got castles. :cool:

That's true, but you do have some large estates outside the cities that include a lot of land right? And ya got castles. :cool:
wait - my hometown in Grandville Michigan has a castle. The place is huge

Grand_Castle_2.jpg

There are no such laws in the US for residential builds that I know of. I know people that have many acres of land surrounding their house. If you can afford the land, you build what you want. My brother built his dream house a few years back. 70 acres of land. His driveway to get from the road to his house is 1/2 mile long.
It's not laws in the UK, but you do have to get planning permission. And while you can buy old and/or expensive houses in this much land, it's rare for new builds. First of all, most houses are built commercially to make a profit and they make more profit the more houses they cram onto the site. Second, the planning committee at the local council may not like a lot of land being used for one house. They have local forward plans to meet which include how many houses a year are wanted to be built in a particular area, and land to build them on is one of the constraints. Building your own house on land you own is probably the easiest way to do this in the UK, but you do still need to get planning permission from the local council. If you build it without they can force you to demolish it, and many councils have done precisely that.

Sadly all my (sand)castles are gone :cry::ROFLMAO:

There are quite a few big estates, a lot owned by foreigners with the big money! The population of the UK is around 70m most of whom are crammed into England. Its about 10m in the Greater London Area (around 600sq. miles). Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland aren't so heavily populated over all, but are in and around the cities.

But man property prices are shooting up in texas, what used to be a place of unlimited space.

Population growth of states like Texas and Florida has been booming. Thus, there is more stress on housing, traffic, health care, etc.

I say to people, "If everyone is going there, it's probably a good idea to look elsewhere."

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 8.31.36 AM.jpg

It's not laws in the UK, but you do have to get planning permission. And while you can buy old and/or expensive houses in this much land, it's rare for new builds. First of all, most houses are built commercially to make a profit and they make more profit the more houses they cram onto the site. Second, the planning committee at the local council may not like a lot of land being used for one house. They have local forward plans to meet which include how many houses a year are wanted to be built in a particular area, and land to build them on is one of the constraints. Building your own house on land you own is probably the easiest way to do this in the UK, but you do still need to get planning permission from the local council. If you build it without they can force you to demolish it, and many councils have done precisely that.
A fair number of farmers are selling their land tomdevelopers, who are building subdivisions (housing tracts) on the land. So what once held one farm house and corn, wheat and potato fields now have 300 houses. Somehow the city or county ended up footing the bill for all the wires and pipes going to a new village five miles down the road.

It's all the old folks moving to warmer climates. My wife and I want to move south....when I retire. I hate cold weather.
My brother lives in Florida during the winter. He and his wife are smowbirds. They have new houses in NY and FLA.. I guess I don't understand the draw. They can't stand the summer heat there, so they come back to NY every April. They stay until January so they can do the holidays with their grandkids. They put thousands of miles on vehicles driving back and forth because they don't want to fly. While they are in FLA, half the time they are indoors with the AC. They worry about every hurricane. They've been flooded. Other than warmer weather FLA offers them nothing they don't already have. It just seems so complicated and needless to me. Still it's what they want.

My brother lives in Florida during the winter. He and his wife are smowbirds. They have new houses in NY and FLA.. I guess I don't understand the draw. They can't stand the summer heat there, so they come back to NY every April. They stay until January so they can do the holidays with their grandkids. They put thousands of miles on vehicles driving back and forth because they don't want to fly. While they are in FLA, half the time they are indoors with the AC. They worry about every hurricane. They've been flooded. Other than warmer weather FLA offers them nothing they don't already have. It just seems so complicated and needless to me. Still it's what they want.
You forgot to mention the interesting bugs. @mandrix you must be accustomed to the variety of bugs since you are a native (?) Floridian.

A fair number of farmers are selling their land tomdevelopers, who are building subdivisions (housing tracts) on the land. So what once held one farm house and corn, wheat and potato fields now have 300 houses. Somehow the city or county ended up footing the bill for all the wires and pipes going to a new village five miles down the road.
The electric company maybe footing the bill for electric infrastructure. They will make their money back when all those new customers start paying their bills every month,,,, forever.
Not sure who foots the bill for water and sewage.

It's all the old folks moving to warmer climates. My wife and I want to move south....when I retire. I hate cold weather.
Chose wisely. You might want to spend some time in the summer wherever you are planning to move before you pull the trigger. I guess if you know there is no such thing as "too hot" for you then maybe you don't have to. I know I dislike too hot just as much as I dislike too cold.
You never know, if this climate change deal pans out like they are predicting, you may not need to move. LOL

Back