Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got shingles.

those areas without shingles will get metal roofing. Note to the astute - we ran out of Ice and Water Shield. Yes those areas lacking it will get it
Ricky, I've never seen part shingle and part metal done before. Is it a style choice or is there some build quality reason?

Ricky, I've never seen part shingle and part metal done before. Is it a style choice or is there some build quality reason?
Its more style over substance LMQ. Not an engineering performance issue. Just more of an Architectual piece of eye candy. An offset.
Someone in my camp wanted the silver/galvanized look here.
Nope. Matte Black for the win.

Its more style over substance LMQ. Not an engineering performance issue. Just more of an Architectual piece of eye candy. An offset.
Is Ricko Michigan's answer to THE TIN MAN?

Wizard-of-Oz-TinMan-Jack-Haley | Tin man costumes, Wizard of oz ...

AR
funny you ask. there have been several meetings with the local 4H and Farmers Co-op regarding this
We've also published editorially in the following local for advice
https://theoveriselbureau.wordpress.com

Feedback has been given. Here is the results.
There will be a John Deere exclusive parade on 2 days for the locals to see
Parade Route One is for New Salem
Parade Route 2 is for North Dorr
Day 3 the trophy will reside on the top of Farmer Joes corn dryer ( 3.5 stories high ) for all in the Ottogan area to see
Days 4 - 5 - 6 and 7 the Lombardi will reside at The Countryside Inn in North Dorr. Maps will be published soonView attachment 105377

I failed to mention that - during Lombardi week - the CountrySide Inn will be offering their fried gizzards at 50 percent off all week long - and - biggie -
they will serve NY Strip all week long !! ( typically you can only get this item on Friday and Saturday nights ). This is big. Its going to be one helluva week in North New Salem !!

Lets Go Lions !!

In my town, there is a house done up in Honolulu blue. I will take and post a pic next time I go by it.

I failed to mention that - during Lombardi week - the CountrySide Inn will be offering their fried gizzards at 50 percent off all week long - and - biggie -
they will serve NY Strip all week long !! ( typically you can only get this item on Friday and Saturday nights ). This is big. Its going to be one helluva week in North New Salem !!

Lets Go Lions !!
I hope the Lions management have consideration and leeway in their schedule as to when I get the Lombardi as planting season and harvesting season are OUT.

Careful, that can be a nasty disease.

Being serious for a moment, what are the shingles made of? We don't have those in the UK at all. I've heard of bitumen but also wooden shingles.
They can be asphalt and/or fiberglass. There might be new stuff out now. I believe bitumen is another name for asphalt. I think fiberglass is pretty widely used now. I don't think they are 100% fiberglass either. It's been a while for me. They all have a gravelly top texture.

They can be asphalt and/or fiberglass. There might be new stuff out now. I believe bitumen is another name for asphalt. I think fiberglass is pretty widely used now. I don't think they are 100% fiberglass either. It's been a while for me. They all have a gravelly top texture.
Bitumen/asphalt same thing yes. We use that sort of material in big sheets for shed roofs or flat roofs on various house extensions etc in the UK, but never as shingles. The big sheets have a gravelly top texture too. It's fallen out of favour now because it only has a 20 year life, rubber sheets or big sheets of fibreglass (no gravel texture on either) are the current technology for flat roofs in the UK and tend to come with a 50 year guarantee. In the UK people are scared of having to replace the roof, they're regarded as something that should outlast the home owner so materials with a 20 year life are very disliked.

I got shingles.

those areas without shingles will get metal roofing. Note to the astute - we ran out of Ice and Water Shield. Yes those areas lacking it will get it

View attachment 105376

This is starting to shape up & look good! I'm loving it and it isn't even my project (or expense)!

First thought is that's a lot of roof real estate just prime for solar panels. Did you consider this? Fellow QQ member @JimHansonDC posted a couple of years ago about doing that:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/solar-battery-powered-system.32607/

but no follow up to tell us how that went.

Second thought is what are you doing with top space? Partitioning off & use as an attic & storage? Or maybe the room will be open to the rafters with decorative beams or the such in place?

Oh, and is this your Countryside Inn?

https://get2countrysideinn.weebly.com/

Bitumen/asphalt same thing yes. We use that sort of material in big sheets for shed roofs or flat roofs on various house extensions etc in the UK, but never as shingles. The big sheets have a gravelly top texture too. It's fallen out of favour now because it only has a 20 year life, rubber sheets or big sheets of fibreglass (no gravel texture on either) are the current technology for flat roofs in the UK and tend to come with a 50 year guarantee. In the UK people are scared of having to replace the roof, they're regarded as something that should outlast the home owner so materials with a 20 year life are very disliked.
We have that big sheet stuff too. They typically don't use it on pitched residential work except as a water/ice barrier around the roof edges. Most flat roofs here are on commercial buildings. Especially in snowy areas like mine and Ricky's, you wouldn't want flat roofs because of the possible high snow loads. Even with pitched roofs, the snow loads here can get so high they cause a collapse under the right circumstances.

Here, they claim the longest life comes with the metal stuff Ricky is using on some parts. Most of that stuff is guaranteed for life... Whatever that actually means. It is more expensive, but pays for itself after 1 roof replacement, which around here is 30 to 40 years. And 30 years from now a new roof is probably twice the price it is now.

I'm surprised to hear you say wood shingles are still in use there for roofing. What wood do they use that lasts 50 years? Maybe it's treated somehow?

This is starting to shape up & look good! I'm loving it and it isn't even my project (or expense)!

First thought is that's a lot of roof real estate just prime for solar panels. Did you consider this? Fellow QQ member @JimHansonDC posted a couple of years ago about doing that:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/solar-battery-powered-system.32607/

but no follow up to tell us how that went.

Second thought is what are you doing with top space? Partitioning off & use as an attic & storage? Or maybe the room will be open to the rafters with decorative beams or the such in place?

Oh, and is this your Countryside Inn?

https://get2countrysideinn.weebly.com/
Thats our Countryside Inn !!. Actually - for the menu they have ( bar type stuff ) , the food is really good !! Its an old building with a gravel parking lot in North Dorr - just down from the North Dorr General store posted up a ways in this thread. Fried Gizzards -yum ;)

Though Id love to have solar, Mrs cbmmm3 outvotes me --she wants a big ol lawn

Top space - thought about putting in attic or bonus room trusses, but - damn - we are building too much space as it is !! I dont need more space --and not more cost !!!. So it will just be a non functional attic where the heating / cooling duct work will run and where ceiling speakers and audio cables are located

thank you for the compliment Scott. Appreciated

btw - the big ass windows will be installed on Monday. Pics dont really show how big they really are - especially the bank to the left and right of the front door

Of course the more you reveal the more I'm curious about...
Top space - thought about putting in attic or bonus room trusses, but - damn - we are building too much space as it is !! I dont need more space --and not more cost !!!. So it will just be a non functional attic where the heating / cooling duct work will run and where ceiling speakers and audio cables are located

btw - the big ass windows will be installed on Monday. Pics dont really show how big they really are - especially the bank to the left and right of the front door

So your putting windows in a non functional attic? It's a nice deign touch but yet another expense & how useful would they be? Or will they be fake windows like at CVS?

RE: Big ass windows. Yup I see a lot of glass going to be there. I know you will be using projector & those only work best in dark environments. What will you be using for light proofing? In the conference room at the retina practice I worked at, before large flat panels became common, we used a projector. They had motorized light proof blinds that rode up & down in tracks & they really worked well. They should for what they cost.

At least in my humble Bassment I have only one window to black out on the AV side so its easy & cheap for good viewing.

Edit: looking back at the first post I see entry is through the mud room so no light from the front door. And the Great Room (which it certainly will be) has only one large window to deal with. Right?

Last edited:
Thats our Countryside Inn !!. Actually - for the menu they have ( bar type stuff ) , the food is really good !! Its an old building with a gravel parking lot in North Dorr - just down from the North Dorr General store posted up a ways in this thread. Fried Gizzards -yum ;)

Though Id love to have solar, Mrs cbmmm3 outvotes me --she wants a big ol lawn

thank you for the compliment Scott. Appreciated

I think the solar question was about having panels on the roof not the field/lawn.

I have always balked at the idea because, I've assumed, if you need to have any work done on the roof, you are responsible for the cost of removal and re-installation of the solar panel. I would think that isn't cheap.

Back