Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is unrest in Ricky forest
Trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And this oak ignores their pleas

This Oak on the back of our property has intrigued me. Its BIG ( pics dont really show true size ) It is 12 foot 2 inches diameter measure from 4 foot height.
Based on this the web tells me that this tree is about 180 years old !! Almost as old as 4 Ears Ralphie !!

View attachment 105522View attachment 105523
I had an oak tree in my front yard in Virginia that was about five feet in diameter. An early snowfall broke a major limb off it, so I had it cut down. I didn’t count the rings, but it gave me three years of firewood!

good point. Ive always been a believer of short cord length from amp to speaker. the shorter the better. I can hide the front end amps behind the wall.
But the other 4 or 6 speakers...........I dont know. The last thing I want is this room to be cluttered with amps and speakers all over the place. I dont know....
I kept all my speaker wires equal length. Shorter lengths make sense but different lengths would have to cause a bit of delay for your surrounds. I'm presently renovating a house and finally will have Atmos and used equal 50' length for all four of my ceiling speakers. It's a bit wasteful but I'm anal about stuff like this and I'm sure the difference would be imperceptible to your ear. Just my two cents.

The Oppo 203 is not cheap.
True...not by a long shot. Also, I use the HDMI output from my Oppo 205 as my main source for surround music because of room correction below 500Hz in the Marantz AVR. This arrangement sounds better than the straight analog outputs from the Oppo without room correction. For stereo (I've forgotten what that even is,) I still go straight from the 205's balanced outputs.

The Oppo 203 is not cheap.
Considering that EARLY CD only players in the late 80's were listed at US $1K ....... the OPPO 203 in the 00's was a veritable bargain for a Universal Player!

And those early RBCD players were wretched ....... whereas, the Oppo 203 is still a great player by any standard! But the 205, IMO, was a step above and worth the extra expenditure!

And those early RBCD players were wretched ....... whereas, the Oppo 203 is still a great player by any standard! But the 205, IMO, was a step above and worth the extra expenditure!
I missed Oppo going out of production so had to buy a 20x second hand. The cost of 205s in the UK is now insane, whereas 203s can easily be had for about £700 and I put the rest of the money into a considerably higher spec AVR (Arcam AVR31) than I could have justified if I'd bought a 205.

I missed Oppo going out of production so had to buy a 20x second hand. The cost of 205s in the UK is now insane, whereas 203s can easily be had for about £700 and I put the rest of the money into a considerably higher spec AVR (Arcam AVR31) than I could have justified if I'd bought a 205.
A few years ago, a QQ poster was aghast [as we ALL were] when some joker on ebay had a like new OPPO 205 listed for US $9K! Now that WAS ridiculous!

I kept all my speaker wires equal length. Shorter lengths make sense but different lengths would have to cause a bit of delay for your surrounds. I'm presently renovating a house and finally will have Atmos and used equal 50' length for all four of my ceiling speakers. It's a bit wasteful but I'm anal about stuff like this and I'm sure the difference would be imperceptible to your ear. Just my two cents.

I wouldn't be too worried about cable lengths and delay. The speed of a signal in a copper speaker cable is within a few % (1%-2%) of the speed of light, so for a 50' cable the total delay is going to be around 51.2ns-51.3ns, so not an issue. The delay introduced by the speaker cross-overs will be way more significant. Theoretically, by having equal lengths the resistance/impedance of the cable will be matched, so assuming identical speakers in all positions, the power levels would be matched as the losses would be equal.

cbmmm3 - post #489 - calibration is mentioned, have the Dealers explained how that would be done (auto-calibration system in the A/V receiver(s) or software in a PC/laptop)?

Kirk Bayne

I wouldn't be too worried about cable lengths and delay. The speed of a signal in a copper speaker cable is within a few % (1%-2%) of the speed of light, so for a 50' cable the total delay is going to be around 51.2ns-51.3ns, so not an issue. The delay introduced by the speaker cross-overs will be way more significant. Theoretically, by having equal lengths the resistance/impedance of the cable will be matched, so assuming identical speakers in all positions, the power levels would be matched as the losses would be equal.
What he said! :)

Me, too. I was in the middle of moving 2,000 miles when Oppo said they were abandoning us. I have a 105, which is my primary source, and I’ll try to keep it going for as long as possible.

I love my 3D TV, and UHD abandoned that feature, so I’ll stick with what I’ve got until something breaks irrevocably.

I'm trying to get a handle on how large this barn really is. It looks damn big in the pictures. I can only imagine how big your house is going to be!

Anyways I see by the garage measurements it's 42' wide. If I carry my noughts correctly the length adds up 80' for square footage of 3,444. Am I right? If so, yes that's a damn big barn!

I'm trying to get a handle on how large this barn really is. It looks damn big in the pictures. I can only imagine how big your house is going to be!

Anyways I see by the garage measurements it's 42' wide. If I carry my noughts correctly the length adds up 80' for square footage of 3,444. Am I right? If so, yes that's a damn big barn!
Well, since I'm renting out the loft, it needs to have some size. I come with lots of baggage. lol

progress continues on the house portion of the project
345houseframe.jpg

hey Sonik -- barn is a 40' x 80' footprint

I see random oriented strand board is as pervasive in the US as it has become here in the UK. I hate it, no grain to work with and a terrible finish so you have to cover it. Getting proper plywood has become much more expensive.
why would you need a grain on wall and roof board ?
shingles on the roof board and siding on the wall board....................
what am I missing in your post ?

Last edited:
Back