Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why would you need a grain on wall and roof board ?
Depends what you're doing with it. In my dad's case he put a roof over an outdoor garden seating area, and because the base layer is exterior plywood we were able to just sand and varnish the underneath and it looks great.

Also you can't plane something that has no grain.

But mostly as someone doing occasional spare time projects and helping my parents, it took me 30 years to learn how to work properly with real wood and plywood. Now I find those skills are worthless, random oriented strand board can't be worked in the same way and it doesn't settle in the structure in the same way. And I don't have another 30 years to learn how to work with it.

why would you need a grain on wall and roof board ?
shingles on the roof board and siding on the wall board....................
what am I missing in your post ?
Plywood is a stronger, more robust material. On the build I did 30 years ago, they specified roughdeck for the walls but plywood for the roof. My current house has plywood on the roof and exterior wall corners, but roughdeck everywhere else.

if plywood and / or osb are subjected to repeated moisture, then plywood is better as it will not rot as fast - but both will rot.
wood scientists agree that the structural performance of osb and plywood are equivalent. Osb and plywood share the same exposure durability classifications: Interior, Exposure 1 (95% of all structural panels), Exposure 2 and Exterior. They share the same set of performance standards and span ratings.

if plywood and / or osb are subjected to repeated moisture, then plywood is better as it will not rot as fast - but both will rot.
wood scientists agree that the structural performance of osb and plywood are equivalent. Osb and plywood share the same exposure durability classifications: Interior, Exposure 1 (95% of all structural panels), Exposure 2 and Exterior. They share the same set of performance standards and span ratings.
Well Sir you would know better than I.

she did not hear a thing until the last second when all of a sudden it got black --shadow - and she felt the air of its wings. this is freaky. she said it was huge. I asked her if it was an eagle or vulture. she did not know as she was so freaked out
I miss out on all the fun.
Ugh. A few years ago there were a bunch of Turkey Vultures feasting on some dead delicacy on the side of the road. I could not slow down in time to avoid one taking off and it destroyed the grill on the Grand Cherokee.

I'm sure you are right. No doubt the manufacturing process for OSB has improved over the years.

Wowsa. We have some hawks here but so far have kept their distance. Now the crows.....man they mess up the birdbaths washing their food and their constant hooting and hollering is noise pollution! lol.
Since I had the pond built last summer its the seagulls (and they really love <bleep> squawking) that trash everything, they land to wet material for their nest on a roof nearby, and then decide to have a drink and leave the nesting material behind floating/sinking, they crap everywhere and have also taken to ripping up plants in the pond for their nest. The sea and the cliffs where they should be residing is less than half a mile away!

Since I had the pond built last summer its the seagulls (and they really love <bleep> squawking) that trash everything, they land to wet material for their nest on a roof nearby, and then decide to have a drink and leave the nesting material behind floating/sinking, they crap everywhere and have also taken to ripping up plants in the pond for their nest. The sea and the cliffs where they should be residing is less than half a mile away!
The rats of the sea.

the crime scene. hawk came around the corner, so my guess is both the hawk and my wife were startled

feeder.jpg

Depends what you're doing with it. In my dad's case he put a roof over an outdoor garden seating area, and because the base layer is exterior plywood we were able to just sand and varnish the underneath and it looks great.

Also you can't plane something that has no grain.

But mostly as someone doing occasional spare time projects and helping my parents, it took me 30 years to learn how to work properly with real wood and plywood. Now I find those skills are worthless, random oriented strand board can't be worked in the same way and it doesn't settle in the structure in the same way. And I don't have another 30 years to learn how to work with it.
OSB is a construction material, not a finish material, much like the 2 by 4 boards used for framing. My floors, for example, are OSB sub floors, but what you see in the room is carpet, hardwood strips, or ceramic tile. OSB is also under the asphalt (bitumen?) shingles on the roof. If you get into the attic spaces, you can see it, but that is not a living space.

wow ------a quick change in subject. my wife just came running downstairs to tell me she was outside filling the hummingbird feeder when a huge hawk swooped down and literally made contact with her !!!!!

wish I could have seen that !! - and yes - she is fine
I saw a red-tailed hawk cruising by at eye level a few years ago. He did turn his head and looked at me, but simply continued on his way. Pretty cool.

wow ------a quick change in subject. my wife just came running downstairs to tell me she was outside filling the hummingbird feeder when a huge hawk swooped down and literally made contact with her !!!!!

wish I could have seen that !! - and yes - she is fine
she did not hear a thing until the last second when all of a sudden it got black --shadow - and she felt the air of its wings. this is freaky. she said it was huge. I asked her if it was an eagle or vulture. she did not know as she was so freaked out
I miss out on all the fun.
Since your missus is named Mary......couldn't resist Ricko

Back