Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if plywood and / or osb are subjected to repeated moisture, then plywood is better as it will not rot as fast - but both will rot.
wood scientists agree that the structural performance of osb and plywood are equivalent. Osb and plywood share the same exposure durability classifications: Interior, Exposure 1 (95% of all structural panels), Exposure 2 and Exterior. They share the same set of performance standards and span ratings.
I know nothing of this wood debate. Being of Italian heritage, I insist that everything be made of granite and marble. Right Ralphie? @4-earredwonder

I was reading something today about how construction of domestic properties hasn't changed much in 100 years, and you could take a builder from 100 years ago put them on a current house construction site and they'd know what to do. I think Ricky's build shows this is true. Factory pre fabrication and/or 3D printing haven't taken off as much as expected.

I was reading something today about how construction of domestic properties hasn't changed much in 100 years, and you could take a builder from 100 years ago put them on a current house construction site and they'd know what to do. I think Ricky's build shows this is true. Factory pre fabrication and/or 3D printing haven't taken off as much as expected.
I would like to take that 1924 builder and see his expression when you tell him that you want the place built with conduits for Atmos.

Even better, I’d like to see your expression when 1924 Builder lies to your face and says, “Yeah, I can do that.” :ROFLMAO:

I would like to take that 1924 builder and see his expression when you tell him that you want the place built with conduits for Atmos.

Even better, I’d like to see your expression when 1924 Builder lies to your face and says, “Yeah, I can do that.” :ROFLMAO:
exactly
that 1924 builder know what an Pneumatic Nailer is ? a compressor ? wedge anchors ? hot dip galvinized ring shank spikes ? hangers and joist nails ?
Engineered trusses ? LSL beams ? LVL beams ? Tyvek moisture barrier ?
I could go on and on but - sorry - a 1924 builder versus a 2024 builder is akin to horse and buggy versus a BMW M2.

exactly
that 1924 builder know what an Pneumatic Nailer is ? a compressor ? wedge anchors ? hot dip galvinized ring shank spikes ? hangers and joist nails ?
Engineered trusses ? LSL beams ? LVL beams ? Tyvek moisture barrier ?
I could go on and on but - sorry - a 1924 builder versus a 2024 builder is akin to horse and buggy versus a BMW M2.
My parents built their dream house in 1958. Five acres, 4 bedrooms, basement, sub-basement, swimming pool, a couple of horses & poured concrete basketball court in the back yard. Yup, that's how I grew up.

Anyways we have a lot of home movies shot on 16mm film from that time. Being up a hill my dad had to get his Farmall tractor out for some towing assist on the concrete truck. And movies of guys cutting the roof beams. No hard hats, no eye protection. Just on their knees hanging over the edge with hand saws and cigarettes stuck to their lips.

Big tech advancement back then was not Atmos but a full house intercom system so we could listen to AM radio & bother each other room to room.

My parents built their dream house in 1958. Five acres, 4 bedrooms, basement, sub-basement, swimming pool, a couple of horses & poured concrete basketball court in the back yard. Yup, that's how I grew up.

Anyways we have a lot of home movies shot on 16mm film from that time. Being up a hill my dad had to get his Farmall tractor out for some towing assist on the concrete truck. And movies of guys cutting the roof beams. No hard hats, no eye protection. Just on their knees hanging over the edge with hand saws and cigarettes stuck to their lips.

Big tech advancement back then was not Atmos but a full house intercom system so we could listen to AM radio & bother each other room to room.
would love to see the movies !!

There was one of those in my current house (built 1969) when I bought it. I've. Since removed it. Made by Nutone. The base station was huge. The size of a microwave oven. Incredible heavy. Tube powered. As I remodeled the rooms, I removed the satellite stations. All the speaker surrounds were rotted. The only one left is at the front door.

would love to see the movies !!
I transferred those films to DVD back in the day of Win XP. Now of course, if I could just remember where I put those discs....

The house was nice enough to rate its own feature in the "Homes" section of the Sunday Kansas City Star. Back in the days when people actually read ink on paper.

I don't remember what the cost of building was. But I remember we had had a mortgage burning ceremony in the back yard early 70's. Dad was so damn glad to get rid of those $125/month house payments!!

As you might say, things change.

There was one of those in my current house (built 1969) when I bought it. I've. Since removed it. Made by Nutone. The base station was huge. The size of a microwave oven. Incredible heavy. Tube powered. As I remodeled the rooms, I removed the satellite stations. All the speaker surrounds were rotted. The only one left is at the front door.
Nutone! Exactly! Same here.
Another feature was remote controlled lighting in the kitchen & master bedroom. Rotary switch with nine positions and a rocker switch for on/off. They connected to a circuit breaker size box in the basement loaded with glass tube type latching relays. If you heard a mysterious noise outside you could hit the outside floods. Or turn on the lights in the living room before you walked down. They actually came in pretty handy over the years.

Nutone! Exactly! Same here.

My oldest cousin built his house and had one of those Nutone intercom / stereo music systems installed. He put the stereo speakers one above the other in some rooms. LOL. And the system always had a problem with hum because of all of the lighting dimmer switches in the house.

My oldest cousin built his house and had one of those Nutone intercom / stereo music systems installed. He put the stereo speakers one above the other in some rooms. LOL. And the system always had a problem with hum because of all of the lighting dimmer switches in the house.
Stereo?. Oh that is much more advanced that what I had.

A lot of builders today in the UK wouldn't know how to conduit the place for Atmos.

But I have to agree, after more thought yeah the 1924 builder knows how to saw timber or lay brickwork, but they'd be completely out of date on building regulations and use of power tools. A UK house in 1924 was completely uninsulated and didn't even have cavity walls, it was 9" thick double brick solid walls then (cavity walls came in the 1930s, to solve damp walls from driving rain originally). You could use the 1924 builder, but they'd be bottom of the pile learning the trade again.

A lot of builders today in the UK wouldn't know how to conduit the place for Atmos.

But I have to agree, after more thought yeah the 1924 builder knows how to saw timber or lay brickwork, but they'd be completely out of date on building regulations and use of power tools. A UK house in 1924 was completely uninsulated and didn't even have cavity walls, it was 9" thick double brick solid walls then (cavity walls came in the 1930s, to solve damp walls from driving rain originally). You could use the 1924 builder, but they'd be bottom of the pile learning the trade again.
It could a difficult conversation, trying to talk them out of using asbestos for insulation. Clean power generation and fiberoptics, HDMI and Cat 8 ethernet cabling would also be interesting discussions (not to mention 4K flat screens). Rhodium input jacks, anyone?

It could a difficult conversation, trying to talk them out of using asbestos for insulation. Clean power generation and fiberoptics, HDMI and Cat 8 ethernet cabling would also be interesting discussions (not to mention 4K flat screens). Rhodium input jacks, anyone?
Ummmm Rhodium. Or something like that.
1716942138233.png

Well, I suspect that if a 100 year old house even had wiring, it would have been tube-and-knob, and grounds would not have been installed. Fuses, not circuit breakers, too. If it had plumbing, it would have been lead pipes.

That being said, my parents had a house built in 1963. I was a high school freshman, and had taken a handful of shop classes so I was interested in the process. I’ve done enough work on all of my own houses that I can probably compare, and other than foundations (I’ve owned slab, basement and crawl-space on piers), the biggest difference I can see is pre-built trusses. Drain pipes are plastic, and water-supply lines are PEX a lot of the time, but electrical seems to have been unchanged, unlesss you get solar or some other local generation.

Well, I suspect that if a 100 year old house even had wiring, it would have been tube-and-knob, and grounds would not have been installed. Fuses, not circuit breakers, too. If it had plumbing, it would have been lead pipes.

That being said, my parents had a house built in 1963. I was a high school freshman, and had taken a handful of shop classes so I was interested in the process. I’ve done enough work on all of my own houses that I can probably compare, and other than foundations (I’ve owned slab, basement and crawl-space on piers), the biggest difference I can see is pre-built trusses. Drain pipes are plastic, and water-supply lines are PEX a lot of the time, but electrical seems to have been unchanged, unlesss you get solar or some other local generation.
But this build is in Michigan, the state that sadly put lead pipes into the national conversation.

But this build is in Michigan, the state that sadly put lead pipes into the national conversation.
I realize we’re getting way off topic here, but I am befuddled by lead. My toothpaste was from a lead tube for about 20 years, and I suspect it was that way for a long time before I started using it. Yet, there was a polar expedition that supposedly was killed primarily by the lead in the solder used to seal their canned rations. And, of course, we’ve read about the water in Flint, but even the word “plumber” comes from the Latin word for lead.

No doubt, a better chemistry class could have told me enough to understand, but …

I realize we’re getting way off topic here, but I am befuddled by lead. My toothpaste was from a lead tube for about 20 years, and I suspect it was that way for a long time before I started using it. Yet, there was a polar expedition that supposedly was killed primarily by the lead in the solder used to seal their canned rations. And, of course, we’ve read about the water in Flint, but even the word “plumber” comes from the Latin word for lead.

No doubt, a better chemistry class could have told me enough to understand, but …
It depends whether there is anything dissolving the lead. In the UK we have some old lead water pipes, but a lot of places have hard water so a calcium carbonate deposit builds up inside the pipes. Provided nothing disturbs that lining, the water is not even in contact with the lead. But if you make any changes it is wise to strip out the lead in case the lining got disturbed.

The problem in Flint, Michigan is the city changed where they sourced their water to a cheaper supply, and the new water was more acidic so it ate away any deposits lining the pipes and it then started dissolving the lead and that's when the problem started. If Flint had stayed using their previous water supply the problem would not have occurred.

Back