Rumors: Van Halen 2019 w/Michael Anthony???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
From Setlist.fm:

Van Halen fans, keep your ears peeled in 2019, because some serious rumors are floating around that Van Halen will be reuniting their classic line up, including bassist Michael Anthony, for a tour in 2019. If the rumors are true, it would be the first time since September 1984 that David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony, Eddie Van Halen and Alex Van Halen all toured together.

These rumors stem from an interview Roth did with Vulture, and a report from radio personality Eddie Trunk. Roth said: “When we come back through town in the summertime and do the original thing, maybe somewhere sportin’, maybe with somebody famous, I’ll make sure we get you all tickets so you can see what we do for gainful employment,” adding, “Because, you know, next time my rock band will be playing the same place that the Yankees play. Okay?”

He also noted:
“The band is solvent. And I can say that I contacted colleagues about being part of the show — Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, Jason Aldean, the Foo Fighters, [Eric] Church, and [Chris] Stapleton. And they all said that, if everything happens, they would certainly be involved.”​

On his Sirius XM show, Eddie Trunk weighed in on the rumors, stating:
“The rumors from reliable sources — but still rumors that are unconfirmed — is that the band will tour in 2019 with the original band, which would mean the return of Michael, and that it’s gonna be some sort of stadium package.”

Van Halen has been touring with Eddie's son, Wolfgang Van Halen, as Anthony's replacement since 2006. Their last tour was in 2015, and the last album they released was 2012's A Different Kind of Truth. In 2007, the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, where only Sammy Hagar showed up in place of Roth and Anthony.

Again, these are just rumors! But we really hope they come true, and if they do, you know Setlist.Fm will be front row! So stay tuned.

Last edited:
I'd rather see Van Hagar, but I know I'm likely in the minority there. Roth's last live stint with VH yeilded some of the most painful moments of listening known to man.
I'm with you here... I saw them in 2013 and the weak link wasn't Wolfgang... David sounded absolutely awful (but he was a wonderful frontman/showman).

I'd rather see Van Hagar, but I know I'm likely in the minority there. Roth's last live stint with VH yeilded some of the most painful moments of listening known to man.

I haven't seen VH since the final tour with Hagar & Anthony in 2004. Sadly, on that tour Eddie's guitar playing was really bad. (Well, at least it was at the show I saw, and comments I read from Hagar later indicated that was the case throughout much of the tour.) Fortunately, Alex, Mike & Sammy were all kicking some serious butt that night so the show wasn't a total loss.

Even though I prefer the albums from the DLR era over the Hagar era, at this point I'd rather they bring Sammy back. In every youtube clip I saw from the recent tours, Dave is sounding real bad. Sammy still has his voice.

I'm with you here... I saw them in 2013 and the weak link wasn't Wolfgang... David sounded absolutely awful (but he was a wonderful frontman/showman).
Yes DLR was the weak link, but for me anyways the HIGH POINT (pun intended), it was the best years of Classic Rock Revival....it was because of that original line-up and showmanship that Classic Rock came back as big as it did. Not to take away from the Van Hagger days as 2 of my favorite albums that they ever did were F U C K & OU812 :):)

Now let's get some multi channels of MOST of the albums....shall we :)

I saw Van Halen, back in their "killer", late 70's output. I then saw Roth on his solo Eat Em & Smile tour...which was also killer. I then saw them when they first showcased Hagar at lead at the very first Farm Aid concert in Champaign/1985.....and then saw them at the Monsters of Rock tour at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin...which was also stunning.

VH reminds me of Uriah Heep. The first few albums are hard to argue with. Heavy hitting and just stunning rock guitar playing. Then alcohol...

I would have thought Van Hagar would have been an evolution but the forever 13 bit was cringy/creepy.

I remember the big youtube moment from the last reunion-ish tour with Roth was when their soundman played the backing track for that synth hit at the wrong speed and therefor pitch (I think it was determined to be a 44.1k/48k wrong choice screw up) and they just churned their way through the train wreck.

Wish I would have caught these guys opening for Black Sabbath back in the day. I was 10. Mom said no...

I've seen VH many times both with DLR in the early 80's and Haggar. Both versions have their merits. Also first saw Haggar for the first time opening for Boston!! For my honest opinion because I was a freelance photographer for the music industry from '78 - '89 I would say my best times had at VH concerts we're in the original DLR years.

Sorry but I don't post my photography on line for obvious reasons :)

Let's just CUT TO THE CHASE and petition Van Halen to release ALL their brilliant 80's core albums on Superior HI RES BD~A 5.1 or DOLBY ATMOS!:SB:LB:SG:QQlove:51QQ

dolby-atmos-logo-400x242.jpg

Always prefer Van Halen with Sammy Hagar myself. I like both singers, but their music, lyrics and overall sound is just better with Hagar. It's what I grew up with...

At this point, I would love just remasters of the Hagar era stuff, but higher resolution new mixes would be welcome too.

Wish I would have caught these guys opening for Black Sabbath back in the day. I was 10. Mom said no...

I was fortunate to catch the New Haven Coliseum show of Sabbath & Van Halen on 9/10/78. A fabulous show! Then caught VH as headliner in Springfield MA at the Civic Center on 8/17/79. Another awesome show. Saw them next at the Hartford Civic Center on the "1980 Invasion" tour on 7/24/80, and I am sad to say it kind of sucked. Roth had gone over the edge with his ego - never a small entity in the first place - but by Hartford he had given up on much of the singing and spent alot of time striking suggestive poses - the classic example of a poser. I stopped seeing them then, and never saw Van Hagar, nor solo DLR.

On 7/20/15 the reunited classic VH minus Anthony played Red Rocks in Colorado - a legendary place to see a show, so I rolled the dice and went. Eddie and all instrumentation was on fire. David's vocals were not what they once were, but I confess that after reading some of the drubbing reviews here on QQ my expectations were subterranean, and this served me well. He did not suck as much as the Hartford show in 1980, ego-wise, and I did not mind his vocals. Again, not as great as 78, but not as painful as some would have you believe. My opinion.

As for a reunion, if it came through in a stadium I would pass. A stadium has never been a great place to go see music, and I will tolerate such a venue for a very few artists. Thankfully most of the people I want to see do not play them.

Reactions: GOS
I would see VH again if they played with Sammy... not sure if I would pull the trigger on Dave or not.

Back