Rush "Hemispheres" (40th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-Ray Audio!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It adds that shocking keyboard moment I referred to. lmao...that one just caught me off guard.

At the very least, Lamar will now be privy to a brand new shiny LITTER BOX!

CAT_02_RK0351_05_P_large.JPG

RUSH .....A ROYAL FLUSH?

Last edited:
It adds that shocking keyboard moment I referred to. lmao...that one just caught me off guard.

It caught you off guard because most of the time nothing is going on there:rolleyes:...I don't want to sound too negative...a lot of folks that love the content might love this too...so that's all I can say about it....time to EAT...I'm hungry:whistle:

any chance of a waveform pic or two, please Mr.G?

maybe one screengrab of the track with the shockingly loud keyboard in the Centre channel and a grab of another song with more happening in the Rears or something?

many t's in a! (y)

I think this is about right. I'm a big Rush fan, so I'm happy with this upgrade. I wouldn't buy this just for the surround mix if you aren't a big fan of this album to begin with. Big stereo with a few very obvious almost "novelty" surround elements like an acoustic guitar or a keyboard is the order of the day. Happy to crank this up.

I'm glad that some will like it...and to be candid...I'm not that familiar with that album so I have no idea what the previous versions of it sound like...but you mentioned something that I was going to comment on...the few "striking" surround moments...I felt it was almost like he just inserted them to create some surround elements and it appeared "forced" to me....like it really didn't belong...like Gos said.."shocking keyboard moment...but again...it's not an album I know very well at all...

Baggy knows this album backwards and forwards. New system is RAWKIN' too.
Knowledgeable Rush fan review by tomorrow morning.
Promise. :geek:
Thank you. I await your response. I have the Amazon box at my door, won't be able to hear this one until Sunday. Dying to find out. After the Tull, Hendrix, and Beatles last week, the bar may be tad high...

Baggy knows this album backwards and forwards. New system is RAWKIN' too.
Knowledgeable Rush fan review by tomorrow morning.
Promise. :geek:
Thank you. I await your response. I have the Amazon box at my door, won't be able to hear this one until Sunday. Dying to find out. After the Tull, Hendrix, and Beatles last week, the bar may be tad high...

I think my expectations have been tempered by reading Chycki's mixing philosophy in an online interview.
He prefers subtle. A heavy reference to the original mix, which opens things up a bit around you, with infrequent discrete "wow" moments.
If that's what we got and he didn't f*#k anything up, as he did with Cygnus Book 1, I'll be happy.
Just for S's & G's I'll run my 2011 Van Dette remastered CD through Auro-3D and let you know which one sounds best.

Last edited:
For once, I'm glad I didn't order this. I would want it mainly for the 5.1 remix but to spend well over $100 on a ANOTHER mediocre remix is plain ridiculous as I have no interest in the vinyl, etc.

Thanks Gene and Clinty [two respected voices on QQ forum] for nixing this remix/remaster. I'm glad I spent my $$$ on the forthcoming Ingmar Bergman 40 film Criterion BD~V collection [a $1600 value for under $150]!

Man you have to love the Barnes & Noble Criterion sales. I made a killing in previous years on Zatoichi and AK100.

Those bursts in the center are not the keyboard I mentioned...but some guitar riffs. The keyboard stuff doesn't really show up much in the pic above. First one bursts in at 24-26 seconds. All I can say is, it sounded way out of place coming center...to my ears anyway.

You could mess around with it just for kicks- I’d try mixing the center into the rears (get those bits of isolated activity coming from behind you) and maybe lower the fronts a couple of dB to get it more balanced.

Too bad about this one- SW really did kill AFTK.

Last edited:
Clint, that previous post was not a dig at you as I do appreciate the pic's and any information but the Rush fanboy who has loved Hemispheres from the first time I heard it in 1978 and then when news came out that a 5.1 was finally going to be done and you actually have it, well that's the impatient part of me just wanting to get some official news on this 5.1. Eagerly waiting for the first report.

I didn't take it as a dig...no problem:D

Back