RUSH Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary edition (with Richard Chycki Dolby Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I will have to settle for the 3 CD set for the same reason as well.
My favorite band and they are the only ones that seem to continually force you to buy vinyl if you want the digital content. No thanks and an F you to whoever is responsible for that decision.

It isn't 100% clear from the way that it's worded that the non-Atmos mixes are new, is it?
Edit... nevermind I suppose it is.

The deluxe box is a no go for me at that price, as much as I love that album. If they make the surround version available for download, then I'm in. If not, then it will just be the streaming Apple Music version will have to do. (I have said this before, I was REALLY hoping this would be a Steven Wilson remix, since I know he loves the album and has worked on Rush previously.)

That's unfortunate. This means there will be little chance of a genuine surround mix getting made and released for this one any time soon.

I'll probably get this because I'm such a Rush fan. Thank goodness it's a fresh new 5.1 mix (I wasn't much of a fan of the last one) as well as Atmos. I'm not really getting my hopes up on the mixes though. Chycki is still... Chycki until otherwise noted.

Was "A Farewell to Kings" masterful remix guru, Steve Wilson, ON VACATION? 🌅

See the source image

ALOHA FROM HAWAII ......NO RUSH TO GET HOME!

Last edited:
There are mixes done to different levels. There are some surround mixes that are disappointingly inferior to the stereo counterpart. All well and good. But then there are occasionally "novelty" surround mixes done where you can tell no one paid any attention to any details, had any interest in the music whatsoever, or even any interest in actual surround sound. That's what this guy's mixes sound like. The Rush stereo mixes are all on point and much more accomplished than average. The Chycki mixes are bluntly insulting to the music. These are all exceptionally bad remixes.

So they're going to hide some of them behind the Atmos codec and stream stepped on lossy remains now? Great...

There are mixes done to different levels. There are some surround mixes that are disappointingly inferior to the stereo counterpart. All well and good. But then there are occasionally "novelty" surround mixes done where you can tell no one paid any attention to any details, had any interest in the music whatsoever, or even any interest in actual surround sound. That's what this guy's mixes sound like. The Rush stereo mixes are all on point and much more accomplished than average. The Chycki mixes are bluntly insulting to the music. These are all exceptionally bad remixes.

So they're going to hide some of them behind the Atmos codec and stream stepped on lossy remains now? Great...

totally agree with you Jim. They suck--BUT - whats weird, The Camera Eve is incredible, the rest of the 5.1 on the abum blows chunks. Did Chycki have a day off and the intern did this selection ? Any one else notice this ?

Brand new to the hobby, and this is the first new release from my favorite band, and...ugh. $300+? And I've never heard the SW mix of A Farewell to Kings, but I found Hemispheres disappointing.

URGH. The OCD collector in me wants to pre-order this, but the (admittedly tiny) rational part of my brain says that cash could be better spent on other releases.

Back