Rush + Steven Wilson (new Geddy interview)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting back to Power Windows.... its great that Geddy Lee & Steven Wilson are seeming to get connected. Seems to me that ALL of Steven Wilson's 5.1 projects have originated from the artist reaching out. Sounds like Geddy just reached out a little, yes???

Actually for King Crimson it was Steven's agent that reached out to Robert Fripp, with the awesome results we all know. :)

Yes, any album would be great to hear. Even as a Rush-nut, IMHO, every album after Power Windows contains filler, sometimes quite a bit.
I blame the rise of the CD, as it caused Rush to expand the running time of their records. The (normal) time limit of the LP provided some quality control.
I know that HYF and many other later Rush records were also released on a single LP, but I guess the grooves were spaced closer (which, at least for HYF and Presto, made them sound like GARBAGE), so the album could utilize more space on the CD medium, while still fitting on one LP, keeping manufacturing costs down.
The point is Rush were really great at making 34 - 40 minute albums. Not so much at making 60 minute ones.

Ah.. a lot of great 34-40 minute Quad albums back in the day back up your assertion my friend.. :upthumb

Actually for King Crimson it was Steven's agent that reached out to Robert Fripp, with the awesome results we know. :)

Oh that's great to hear.. what a wonderful move on Steven Wilson's part that was for all of US at QQ..!! :wave

We have so many fabulous albums in surround to thank him for.. its quite something when you stand back and take in his mightily impressive surround mixing achievements to date and there seems no sign of him slowing down even with his own career seriously riding high!

Actually, do you know where the legend all started? I mean, do you happen to know who introduced him to surround music for the very first time or how it was that SW got the taste for 5.1?

(Please say its my hero Scheiner..? I love the whole karate kid thing of ELS imparting his decades of knowledge and innate wisdom to the pupil, or whatever.. I've had a few beers now guys so go with me, I'm in a happy place, the imagery is.. vivid :eek: )

Kind of a no brainer.. but I would very very happily buy any and all Rush records, even the same ones all over again, in surround if SW was doing them!

Actually, do you know where the legend all started? I mean, do you happen to know who introduced him to surround music for the very first time or how it was that SW got the taste for 5.1?

(Please say its my hero Scheiner..? I love the whole karate kid thing of ELS imparting his decades of knowledge and innate wisdom to the pupil, or whatever.. I've had a few beers now guys so go with me, I'm in a happy place, the imagery is.. vivid :eek: )

Kind of a no brainer.. but I would very very happily buy any and all Rush records, even the same ones all over again, in surround if SW was doing them!

I think Mr Scheiner indeed showed him what 5.1 could do when Steven was attending the surround mixing sessions for In Absentia. But I don't know if Steven was acquainted with surround sound before that. Something I'll have to ask him!

I read, somewhere, or maybe it was in the Insurgentes movie, that he began trying out 5.1 for himself because he was somewhat disappointed with early PT MC mixes.
Like, "I wonder if I can do better" type of thing.

I think Mr Scheiner indeed showed him what 5.1 could do when Steven was attending the surround mixing sessions for In Absentia. But I don't know if Steven was acquainted with surround sound before that. Something I'll have to ask him!

Oh yes please do! Thanks!

I think he meant "IA" for "In Absentia". ;)

Ah right, thanks RT.

You long-time PT surround fan fellas here may not be aware that my knowledge of PT stuff is v.limited so IS could well have stood for something significant Porcupine Tree related!
(As our LizardKing will tell you, I was on a quest of supreme SACD zealotry at the time and a lot of their stuff passed me by.. I will get around to it and things like all the KC DVD-A's I've not picked up yet in the fulness of tiiiiiime.... :eek: )

In case anybody doubts that I love Power Windows...
me-pow-resize.jpg

Back