SACD multichannel format and hook-up questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huggy

and an oher question are those SACD have the true 5.1 surround, becasue I had order as it was listed the blood, Sweat & Tears hi rez with the 4.0 mix is that the original quad mix that was in the 70's? I am not to familar with the SACD disc I did see them at our local best buy back in the early 90's all columbia artists, I do have a creedence Clearwater Revival the concert and it said on the case hybrid stereo super audio CD plays on ALL SACD and cd players, so I played it on my 7.2 yamha 7.2 and all of the music just came from the center and front and left what is the story on that. I thought the sound was supose to come out of all 4 speakers.and I was listening to some old DTS surround my blu ray player is hooked to an HDMI, and my yamaha is model RXV 577 but for some reason even tho I have all of my speakers balanced but it seems on the DTS surround DVD audios I do not hear the rears like on my Denon AV 1315 are some of my settings wrong on my Yahama or not it does have dolby Pro logic IIX music as I just listening to audio on my yahama and watching movies on the denon one why is that?
huggy

thanks snood man!!!!! are you one of the mods just wondering, I think I am getting the hang of things in here, problem is just not sure what forum to go to
buggy

OK - here goes....

SACDs can have 5.1 surround, but they can also be stereo (or mono only).

The recently issued version of Blood Sweat and Tears is the original quad mix (4.0), authored on the disc as 5.0 with a silent center channel.

Your comment about SACDs in the early 90s doesn't make sense as they only started being issued in about 1999 (IIRC). Did you mean the early 2000s?

The Creedence Clearwater title you are referring to is stereo only - as you said "hybrid stereo super audio CD"...

& read your manual & check your HDMI settings....

What player are you using to play the SACD disc? If it's not an SACD player (for example, if it's a standard DVD player), then you won't be able to hear the surround sound.

jdmack thank you for answering my question I have a blu ray player that supports hybrid and dts it is a sony BD-380 I did try a regular DVD one from 2002 but as you said it would not read it my mistake about when SACD came out you are right about the dates when they first came out sorry.I do have some of those DTS surround discs as well but from I heard that is a different format, as I am still new to this site,
huggy

thanks snood man!!!!! are you one of the mods just wondering, I think I am getting the hang of things in here, problem is just not sure what forum to go to
buggy

Nah Snood not a mod, just a helpful QQ banana :banana:

Always happy to help

You may have one of the early Sacd's of CCR which indicate, incorrectly, on the back package, that it's surround.
Ignore this indication it is stereo only.I have a couple of Kinks discs with this misinformation as well (a cruel joke if you ask me)

I have a Sony BDP-370 and it plays sacd but states so on the front panel (has the Sacd emblem)
But for sacd I use my Pioneer 588a as I don't have HDMI on my Yamaha receiver.

Your Yamaha should indicate on the lighted display when your playing DTS. Mine indicates dts in orange for dvd and red for dts cd.
For dvd you also must click on the audio menu of your dvd player unless the disc defaults to dts. But for dts cd my receiver does the
default automatically as I believe dts cds only offer this option

Hope this is helpfull

fizz

Huggy

I know it may be dumb to ask but did you purchase a coaxial or optical cable needed to hear disceet 5.1 dolbydigital, dts

I know someone with a big beautiful surround system and for all his investment gets pro logic 2, when a dvd movie is played
only because he lacks this final $20 cable. Of course no cable was supplied with his dvd or receiver.

Huggy, what are your setting in the Sony? From the manaul I understand that you can set HDMI output to PCM or Bitstream (Dolby orDTS) or DSD.

The settings on Dolby and DTs should not matter much if it is either PCM or Bitstram, as your Yamaha can handle both. But as far as I can see, the Yamaha cannot take DSD, so you should put that to off in your Sony, meaning the Sony concerts to PCM and sends that to the Yamaha.

From your OP, I do not understand what the setting son your Yamaha are. Do ypu listen with PLx Music on all the time or not? If yes, better try the Straight option. From the manual I understand that this would give you the mix as it is on the disc, without any adjustments by the Yamaha.

The cable should not be the problem as you have an HDMI cable hookup.

On the Yamaha, I would choose the Auto mode and see if that makes a difference.

Fizz

Back