SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundophile

Surroundophile
Since 2002/2003
Is Sony still making a SACD receiver? The last one I was aware of, the MEX-DV2200 ,I know has been discontinued.

ah right! what's the point of limiting yourself to just SACD?
why not get a Universal player like an Oppo, Denon or Marantz so you can playback all the formats?

SONY has their finger in too many pies to ever go bust in our lifetimes; the name brand recognition remains quite valuable. (despite some maddening decisions)

Well not bankrupt and finished completely, exactly, I'm no Sony basher, don't get me wrong I've loved so many of their innovations and classy products over the years. Maybe more that Sony will go on, just not quite as we know it now.

In so many ways they're easily one of the finest electronics corporations of all-time. Its just now it seems their best days are behind them. In key areas of their electronics business things are looking a bit gloomy for them and have been for a few years.

Sony haven't made a profit in the last 4 years. Their losses for this year are expected to be double what had been forecast (nearly $7 Billion). Sony are scaling back their Television production dramatically, as of this year as they can no longer compete with the likes of Samsung & LG. Sony's new Head honcho in Japan has even gone so far as to whinge their TV division is going under because Samsung are supported by the Korean state, which is unfair! Well.. Boo hoo! It's tough out there for everyone right now!

Sony's TV arm is suffering because of competition from Samsung, LG, etc..
Sony's mobile telecoms suffering because of competition from Samsung, LG, Apple..
Sony's Walkman division is suffering because of competition from Samsung, LG, Apple..

Samsung, LG, Apple, aren't going to disappear anytime soon, so what will it take from Sony to recover?

So far their solution to their TV manufacturing dilemma is to, umm, stop making so many TVs! Brilliant!

What next? Stop making so many phones and portable music players?

How long before they don't make anything anymore and are only a music & movie company?

So perhaps they won't "go bust" exactly, they'll still be very, very big!
Just rather far-removed from their roots and so many of the things they've done best or created over the years, sadly.

one recent personal experience which highlights the current woes of Sony's electronics arm. yes it's one tiny measely story but repeated hundreds of thousands of times, they'd be sunk and i fear this is what is happening..

just the other day a friend was seeking a recommendation on a cheap blu ray player.

I went hunting around online for him and there was not one Sony machine in their current line-up that could be recommended, they all had such poor reviews. whether for reliability, build quality, you name it, the negatives were there in droves.

there were, however, several models from the likes of Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc.. that all had great features, great customer feedback and crucially were inexpensive.

Sony invented the blu ray format and in these ultra competitive, tight financial times, they can't come up with a decent cheap blu ray machine themselves?!? Grr...!!

There was even a Toshiba blu ray player that was cheaper and got more praise than the Sony's and they were responsible for the ill-fated HD-DVD that Sony's blu ray killed..! Bizarre.

one recent personal experience which highlights the current woes of Sony's electronics arm. yes it's one tiny measely story but repeated hundreds of thousands of times, they'd be sunk and i fear this is what is happening..

just the other day a friend was seeking a recommendation on a cheap blu ray player.

I went hunting around online for him and there was not one Sony machine in their current line-up that could be recommended, they all had such poor reviews. whether for reliability, build quality, you name it, the negatives were there in droves.

there were, however, several models from the likes of Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc.. that all had great features, great customer feedback and crucially were inexpensive.

Sony invented the blu ray format and in these ultra competitive, tight financial times, they can't come up with a decent cheap blu ray machine themselves?!? Grr...!!

There was even a Toshiba blu ray player that was cheaper and got more praise than the Sony's and they were responsible for the ill-fated HD-DVD that Sony's blu ray killed..! Bizarre.

Not to mention the sacd fiasco. They killed both formats with the BS. It hakens back to vhs vs beta. Perhaps it has something to do with that? Before no BD they made did sacd, or very few, amybe just top ES series did. now most do again? Cheap BD? look for open box or used. If you dpn't wnat to spend, look for an old oppo-an 83 or what ever is avail. After I bought into Oppo I was left feeling ripped off by sony. The sacd player Im had sucked! Oppo kills when it comes to sound. sony can't do better with their own?

Not to mention the sacd fiasco. They killed both formats with the BS. It hakens back to vhs vs beta. Perhaps it has something to do with that? Before no BD they made did sacd, or very few, amybe just top ES series did. now most do again? Cheap BD? look for open box or used. If you dpn't wnat to spend, look for an old oppo-an 83 or what ever is avail. After I bought into Oppo I was left feeling ripped off by sony. The sacd player Im had sucked! Oppo kills when it comes to sound. sony can't do better with their own?

Oh yes.. They killed their own SACD format with lots of stupid punitive licensing fees, so many poor decisions, blah blah, etc, SACD as a format wasn't perfect but could have quietly replaced CD altogether if every future release were to be a Hybrid.. Then they added insult to injury and forced those terrible DualDiscs on the world! Only to pull the plug on those too after 5 minutes.

Oppo don't have much of a presence here in the UK, plus he doesnt want or need SACD or DVDA (Blasphemy! I know!) .. otherwise I'd have steered my friend towards an Oppo, or Cambridge Audio (essentially the same inwards as Oppo just different casework).

Um ...Hello....
I posted this question under "mobile audio"...as in car/truck. Why would I post something here about a HOME receiver or playback device?

Back