Sansui QRX 9001 receiver repair needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawksao

I own a Sansui QRX 9001 quad receiver that won't power up. I took it to my local repair shop (felt lucky to have one until this experience.) Bottom line, after several weeks and a charge to inspect my unit, I was told the shop manager wouldn't "approve" the repair because they were fearful of the amount of time they would have to invest and potential follow-up warranty claims. Sounds to me like they weren't that confident they could properly repair the unit. Who services these units at reasonable cost? I don't have big money to spend on a complete rebuild with "upgrades," although I'd love one. I just want my receiver fixed. Any ideas/experiences?

Thanks,
Scott:banana:

Last edited:
I own a Sansui QRX 9001 quad receiver that won't power up. I took it to my local repair shop (felt lucky to have one until this experience.) Bottom line, after several weeks and a charge to inspect my unit, I was told the shop manager wouldn't "approve" the repair because they were fearful of the amount of time they would have to invest and potential follow-up warranty claims. Sounds to me like they weren't that confident they could properly repair the unit. Who services these units at reasonable cost? I don't have big money to spend on a complete rebuild with "upgrades," although I'd love one. I just want my receiver fixed. Any ideas/experiences?

Thanks,
Scott:banana:

The Sansui QRX-9001 is an amazing receiver, but it is one of the most complex designs EVER. I really don't blame the repair centre for being cautious. Quad Bob is certainly the best one to get into it, but given the complexity of the unit, he will likley advise a complete rebuild ... and justifiably so.

The receiver has so many pass-through circuits and layered circuit boards that it can have a multitude of issues after more than 30 years. Cold solder joints alone will be all through it. To fix a single problem will most surely reveal a multitude of other issues.

I opted for a 7001; which is not as powerful, but it has the same Variomatrix decoder and a LOT simpler design. If you don't have the money to do it up right, then maybe you should sell it and buy a 7001 that is working well ... and no, mine is not for sale.

Mike.

Back