DVD/DTS Poll Santana - Abraxas [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Santana - ABRAXAS

• Total voters
Wow, such divergent voting as to the like I've rarely seen!
Both ends of the spectrum, from opinions of folks I admire.
I guess those that really love the material are giving it a lifeline to a higher plane; but truly, the mix and sonic's are a mess for me.
So I'm going with a 3 on this one... desperately needs a complete re-do; come on Sony :mad:

I guess those that really love the material are giving it a lifeline to a higher plane; but truly, the mix and sonic's are a mess for me.
So I'm going with a 3 on this one... desperately needs a complete re-do; come on Sony :mad:

I think the ship has long sailed for this title to be remixed from scratch (the old Sony SACD really should've included a new 5.1 mix), but maybe some folks would give the old quad a reappraisal if a good mastering of it were to be released. "Black Magic Woman" on AF's The Collection is good tease for how the quad master tape might actually sound.

I think the ship has long sailed for this title to be remixed from scratch (the old Sony SACD really should've included a new 5.1 mix), but maybe some folks would give the old quad a reappraisal if a good mastering of it were to be released. "Black Magic Woman" on AF's The Collection is good tease for how the quad master tape might actually sound.

Yeah I feel ya, but I hope you're wrong. Sony put out an SACD of the Quad Santana Lotus concert 3 years ago (a nice concert for sure) but IMO an awful example of surround (being live and also with little rear presence.)
https://www.discogs.com/Santana-Lotus-Complete-Edition/release/10040223
Abraxas is a much better known and loved Santana release, and you'd think garner a much wider acceptance. Apparently (maybe partially) the original Quad tapes are viable since AF's The Collection is a clue. I'm still holding out some minor hope, but I also don't believe an outfit like D-V could get a hold of it for re-issue due to cost.

So again, why isn't Sony gettin' it done???

Yeah I feel ya, but I hope you're wrong. Sony put out an SACD of the Quad Santana Lotus concert 3 years ago (a nice concert for sure) but IMO an awful example of surround (being live and also with little rear presence.)
https://www.discogs.com/Santana-Lotus-Complete-Edition/release/10040223
Abraxas is a much better known and loved Santana release, and you'd think garner a much wider acceptance. Apparently (maybe partially) the original Quad tapes are viable since AF's The Collection is a clue. I'm still holding out some minor hope, but I also don't believe an outfit like D-V could get a hold of it for re-issue due to cost.

So again, why isn't Sony gettin' it done???
Cause they MIGHT use the horrible ADATs they sent poor Brad!!!

"Black Magic Woman" on AF's The Collection is good tease for how the quad master tape might actually sound.
So we know a much better mix exists. Why did DTS give us this aborted attempt?
Larry Keyes did some other Santana. Why is this one so bad?

So we know a much better mix exists. Why did DTS give us this aborted attempt?
Larry Keyes did some other Santana. Why is this one so bad?

There's only one quad mix of this album - I've heard all the various versions of it (SQ LP, Q8, QR, DTS-CD, and "Black Magic Woman" on the AF SACD) and they are all the same. The DTS-CD appears to have been sourced from a low-quality digital transfer of the master tape and mastered poorly on top of that - just about every other version sounds better.

There's only one quad mix of this album - I've heard all the various versions of it (SQ LP, Q8, QR, DTS-CD, and "Black Magic Woman" on the AF SACD) and they are all the same. The DTS-CD appears to have been sourced from a low-quality digital transfer of the master tape and mastered poorly on top of that - just about every other version sounds better.
Is the aforementioned Robin Reel the same quad mix?

I gave 5. Music: 9, Sound & Mix 1 (0 was not possible, out of range). Summarized: 5.
It would make sense to vote content and mix/sound separated. Especially for this one.

Thank goodness we now have the Sony Japan SACD.
I resold this DTS CD, along with a fan-made DVD-A of the RR, without a 2nd thought.
As the SACD is available, this DTS CD is more toward the "waste of plastic" end of the scale, for me.

We DO have to thank DTS Entertainment for at least releasing this title in 2001 even though it was obviously from a substandard master [where's the BASS] but as Mike infers, the recent SONY JAPAN Japanese hybrid SACD release blows it out of the water and ironically for only a few dollars more* and of course the 7" packaging is exquisite!

DISCOGS currently has the DTS~CD for $44 + s/h which is risible since it's more than the current SONY Japan remastered SACD!!!!!!!

https://www.discogs.com/release/1865022-Santana-Abraxas
*The DTS~CD had an original list price of $20

"The sound of the DTS CD is SUUUUUUUUUPER BAD though "
I agree.

Would like to compare it but the SACD is too expensive for an experiment like this. Anyway I've the CD too and stick with this.

Back