SDE Blu-Ray no.23 new Crowded House album, Gravity Stairs (May 31st, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$45 total to USA with shipping.
$60 CDN to the Great White North.
My M.O. with SDE Surround Series releases to North America is to preorder them at launch, possibly adding in another (non-exclusive) release or two to spread out the shipping cost and soften the blow. Then, once a new release is announced, I check to see if the previous-but-not-yet-released album is still available. If so, I add it and any other items from my previous order to a new order, checkout, and send an email to SDE requesting cancellation and a refund for the first order. Anne @ SDE usually processes the refund within a couple days, if not within hours of requesting it. I then repeat this process ad nauseam as new releases are announced, gradually building up my order until the earliest release (or any subsequent) is no longer available, at which point I start again with a new order centered around the latest preorder.

Naturally, this is an imperfect system. Preferably, SDE would be able to combine existing orders for shipping together. That way, even items no longer available to buy could be held and shipped together with the latest releases. Unfortunately, SDE's current fulfillment partner—Parallax Studios—is unable to accommodate this. I have suggested in the past both to Anne and @PaulatSDE that they consider partnering with Burning Shed on fulfillment, as they have no issues combining orders and refunding the difference in shipping costs once dispatched. I'm sure there are other partners who could handle this, too. Thus far, no movement on that front. I must reiterate that this would make a big difference for overseas customers, and possibly lead to sales that would otherwise be avoided due to high shipping costs, as alluded to by others in this thread.

My M.O. with SDE Surround Series releases to North America is to preorder them at launch, possibly adding in another (non-exclusive) release or two to spread out the shipping cost and soften the blow. Then, once a new release is announced, I check to see if the previous-but-not-yet-released album is still available. If so, I add it and any other items from my previous order to a new order, checkout, and send an email to SDE requesting cancellation and a refund for the first order. Anne @ SDE usually processes the refund within a couple days, if not within hours of requesting it. I then repeat this process ad nauseam as new releases are announced, gradually building up my order until the earliest release (or any subsequent) is no longer available, at which point I start again with a new order centered around the latest preorder.

Naturally, this is an imperfect system. Preferably, SDE would be able to combine existing orders for shipping together. That way, even items no longer available to buy could be held and shipped together with the latest releases. Unfortunately, SDE's current fulfillment partner—Parallax Studios—is unable to accommodate this. I have suggested in the past both to Anne and @PaulatSDE that they consider partnering with Burning Shed on fulfillment, as they have no issues combining orders and refunding the difference in shipping costs once dispatched. I'm sure there are other partners who could handle this, too. Thus far, no movement on that front. I must reiterate that this would make a big difference for overseas customers, and possibly lead to sales that would otherwise be avoided due to high shipping costs, as alluded to by others in this thread.
yeah, I see shipping as difficult and tricky biscuit no matter how you cut it... for everyone.

LOVE Crowded House...ordered. I recall a few years ago, AmazonUK was literally blowing out gorgeous deluxe editions of Crowded House's back catalogue which included remastered 2 RBCDs, glossy booklet in a sturdy slipcase for £6~7 [plus minimal s/h to the states at the time] and I stocked up on them.

Last edited:
LOVE Crowded House...ordered. I recall a few years ago, AmazonUK was literally blowing out gorgeous deluxe editions of Crowded House's back catalogue which included 3 RBCDs, glossy booklet in a sturdy slipcase for £6~7 [plus minimal s/h to the states at the time] and I stocked up on them.
I do know their ST DVD from 2002 has always held up value wise and much more over the years (I'm still trying to get my own copy at a reasonable level 😬.) I wonder how many of those were made?

I do know their ST DVD from 2002 has always held up value wise and much more over the years (I'm still trying to get my own copy at a reasonable level 😬.) I wonder how many of those were made?
I was able to get a copy back in the early 00's for NOT a lot of money, JP, but since it was on the Capitol Record Label I'm assuming not too many were made since Capitol pulled out of the DVD~A market early and AFAIK never re~released it as a Multi~CH SACD!

None

Last edited:
That Parallax studio, is a big mess, also not really customer friendly when it comes to questions or changes. Sometimes no answer to questions either. We will come back to YOUR issue, they tell in emails, but in reality, never. Never had a decent reply or solution from them, they also act very rude to you.
I've never tried to contact them directly. I've only gone through SDE, where Anne is the first point of contact, and she's great.

Ordered!

$45 total to the USA with shipping. I think prices are getting out of hand at SDE; soon they will be $100.00 USD, including shipping for a single album from an artist or album that almost nobody has heard of.

They better be careful, or they will alienate overseas customers from USA and outside Europe.

Regards,

Last edited:
Ordered!

$45 total to the USA with shipping. I think prices are getting out of hand at SDE; soon they will be $100.00 USD, including shipping for a single album from an artist or album that almost nobody has heard of.

They better be careful, or they will alienate overseas customers from USA and outside Europe.

Regards,
To quote the first release in the series, they may have found my “Tipping Point”.
$45 is a bridge too far for me…at least for an album like this.
An Atmos remix of a classic album?
That will be the true test 🤑

Trust me, once you can let go of the completist mindset, it's quite liberating.
Thankfully, the stand alone Pure Audio BD~As currently trickling out of the studios with ATMOS remixes at sane prices kind of make up for those excessive s/h charges from the UK....and think of all those overseas customers who are ravaged with s/h + import fees when ordering from US vendors like RHINO.

It somehow all equals itself out ... in the end!

So in addition to playing a show at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC on 5/31 (the album's release date) the band will also be doing a performance and in-store signing at Rough Trade. This is just killing me! I still have to be off my feet for another three weeks. No way I could pull this off. :oops:

Well, if anyone does get to meet the band, ask Neil about doing the back catalog in Atmos!

438108786_993612442128537_1935834891682212622_n.jpg

Back