HiRez Poll Seals & Crofts - SUMMER BREEZE [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Seals & Crofts - SUMMER BREEZE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new Blu-ray Audio release from Rhino Records of the classic Seals & Crofts album "Summer Breeze".
This new Blu-ray Audio release is part of Rhino's ongoing Quadio series and features the first release of this classic Quadraphonic mix since the 1970s! o_O

(y):)(n)

SealsAndCrofts_SummerBreeze_Quadio-min.png

Call me a sentimentalist, but I've always had a soft spot for SUMMER BREEZE. I even had it on QUAD OPEN REEL but IMO, Rhino's 2024 BD~A remaster in 192/24 resolution is, to my ears, the definitive version to own. There is musicality on every track and to REALLY hear it for the first time in such stunning
sonics is a revelation!

Now bring on the other three Seals/Croft's QUAD releases .....

I voted TEN

I voted 9.
This will not likely be listened to again?
The 4.0 mix is excellent, the sound quality is excellent.
The music is just not what I listen to.
I do not want to slam a release based on my musical preference, so I gave this a 9 equal to the last 4 Quadios released.
I support the Rhino Quadio program, so I purchase all and take the ones that I would not buy otherwise.

I give it a 9 also. Great job overall!

Really enjoyed this mix, particularly for the opening track "Hummingbird." The separation of the channels is superb as is the harmonizing and immersion of the vocals on this particular track (I'm a "sucker" for harmonizing :) ) .

My only complaint is that I found the vocals in the title track to be a bit more buried than I like.

But nonetheless, highly recommended!!

Jon

Last edited:
I'm thinking that this one is caught between an 8 and a 9 for me. The two hits are burnt out crispy for me, and there is one track I find weaker than any of others. However, the remaining 7 tracks still work as fine and are exceptionally played, produced and mixed into quad. The mood on those remaining tracks is just beautiful as well. I'll wait two weeks listen again and see if a short 7 track listening session is enough to work. Guitars and vocals sound so nice here.
It is a major album.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in the poll thread for America's Holiday, but the photos of the quad master tape boxes in this series are a wonderful inclusion for people interested in the history of the format and also the technical side of the music-making process.

The other titles in this batch didn't yield any previously-unknown information - Roberta Flack's Killing Me Softly and Donny Hathaway's Extension of a Man had quad remix credits on the sleeve (Bob Lifton and Tom Dowd, respectively) and Hot Tuna's Burgers has nothing on the master tape box other than the tracklist - but the quad master tape boxes for Summer Breeze have a couple of interesting revelations.

The first is that this is the first quad mix that can be definitively attributed to Dave Hassinger, a legendary producer and engineer whose work included records by the Rolling Stones, Electric Prunes (who he also managed), Love and the Jefferson Airplane in the '60s, and Donald Byrd (it's possible he did the quad mix of Black Byrd), The Blackbyrds, Seals & Crofts (obvs), Linda Ronstadt, Little Feat, Aretha, and many others in the '70s.

The master tape for side two has two credits: 'D.H.' (obviously Hassinger) and 'J.A.' - I believe this 'J.A.' is probably John Arrias, who was an assistant engineer and tape operator at Sound Labs during this period.

Aside from being a producer and engineer, Hassinger was also the owner of Sound Labs, a highly regarded studio in Hollywood, and recorded and did the original stereo mix of Summer Breeze. The interesting thing about the quad masters for Summer Breeze is that they have a notation on them stating that they were received (probably by Warner's tape library) on July 27th, 1974, which means the quad mix was done nearly two years after the original stereo album (which was released in September 1972) came out.

This also means that despite being S&C's first hit album, Summer Breeze was actually their third quad release, chronologically - their first was Diamond Girl, which was released in September 1973 as part of the W/E/A group's initial batch of 25 CD-4 Quadradiscs, and it was followed by Unborn Child in February of 1974, pretty much day and date with the stereo version. I haven't checked the Library of Congress Catalog of Copyright Entries but I think it's a safe presumption based on the 7/26/74 date on the tapes that Summer Breeze was on the market in time for Christmas of that year.

I suspect the reasons for going back and remixing a two-year-old album for quad in 1974 were two-fold: one was that WEA were trying to bolster their quad catalog with more older "evergreen" titles, and Summer Breeze joins Black Sabbath's Paranoid (1970), Jethro Tull's Aqualung (1971), Deep Purple's Machine Head (1972), and the Doobie Bros. Toulouse Street (1972) as albums that were reissued in quad in 1974 and 1975. The other reason, I think, was that after two top-10 albums in Summer Breeze and Diamond Girl (which both produced top-5 singles) S&C entered 1974 with a thud by releasing Unborn Child, a stinker of an album which made it no higher than #14 in the Billboard charts and yielded two even more disappointing singles, neither of which made it any higher than #60, so Warner probably wanted to get some more "popular" product on the shelves and a quad release of Summer Breeze fit the bill.

On the stereo side of things in 1974, they also released "old" product, buying up the rights to the duo's first two independent albums (a self-titled release from 1969 and Down Home from 1970) and reissued them as a double LP Seals & Crofts I & II, followed by a Greatest Hits album in 1975 so I think it's fair to say Warners could see which way the wind was blowing with regards to S&C's commercial popularity and were doing what they could to monetize it while there was still time.

Fantastic Quad all round. Sounds quadtastic, clear and like it was recorded yesterday. Shame I have had to wait do long to get round to listening to this batch of quads. Excellent summer album shame it's raining right now.

Back