Setting up Quadraphonic System - Please Help Guide Me!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris8301

Ok... so this is not an audiophile set up, I kind of got started down this rabbit hole when I just saw a quad pressing of a Paul Simon record (Still Crazy After All These Years), I put it on and thought it sounded really different on a stereo unit, and wanted to see what it would sound like in Quad. Over the past two years I have been sort of piecing together a quadraphonic system, and hopefully one day I'll get to hear some of these albums in a whole new way. I feel like today might not be that day.

So first I found a Sansui reciever (QRX-5001) for $60. Seems to be working totally great.

Then I found a Panasonic SL701/C turntable with the CD-4 catridge/needle for $80. It has a power cord issue I fixed this morning.

I didn't have 4 good speakers so I started by purchasing a pair of quadraphones (super cheap ones), just to sort of tinker and fine tune. The cable is messed up and it cuts out and I'm not even sure that all 4 speakers in the headphones work and people seem to have mixed feelings about the quadraphones as it is.

I purchased two more speakers when the headphones seemed to be a bust. I have records that are in SQ (Dark Side of the Moon), CD-4 (Paranoid)... I see that my receiver has different buttons that I can push when I'm playing in the different formats.

What I'm really struggling with is finding a balance. I see that the receiver has fine tuning knobs for 'CD-4 Separation" for both Right and Left, also on the back of the receiver there is another fine tuning knob labeled "CD-4 Carrier Level". Anyone have any advice/tips? Also should I pursue another pair of headphones or is that just a gimmick to put four speakers right against two ears?

Thanks any and all help, I have a feeling that this could be the beginning of a really fun new experience in listening to music!
-Chris

Chris,

I'm not certain what it is you want specifically, but if you need info on cd-4 set-up you will need a cd-4 stylus(SHIBATA or equivalent).
CD-4 can be a little tricky to set up, but when it works it is incredible.

I would check out the legacy quadraphonic site on QQ .There you will find a thread devoted to CD-4.

Also a thread devoted to matrix quad set-up, QS , SQ etc.and if your Sansui has QS VARIO MATRIX you need to view that site.

Back