Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's really hard to photograph where it is. There is a lot left out of the picture, but it's three racks full. the bottom of the racks are used for LP storage and for the CD-4 demodulator, which can be either a JVC 4DD5 or a Technics SH400. There is an Audionics Space and Image Composer, which is not shown in the pictures, except for just the corner. Note the gargoyle sitting in front of the power conditioner near the top. The room has a black light and the system has green flourescent lizards and snakes lurking about on it. Yeah, it's a holdover from my hippie days as is most of the music that gets played on it. But it's all in fun.

The Quadfather

P.S. Hey Quadgirl! Nice setup. Is that you on the screen? I was wondering if you have trouble with feedback with the turntable on the speaker? It seems to be inviting trouble. Those look like Altec Voice of the Theater speakers. Am I right? I almost bought a set of those, but chose JBLs instead.

I don't mean to step on toes and answer for QG, but the short answers are:
1) No. It's Kathy Griffin (Very funny raw comedian)
2) It looks like a second (extra) turn table.
3) They are Klipsch, I believe.
QuadGirl, more info?

Lonster

OK, so I'm a dumb*ss. Sorry Quadgirl. I don't watch a lot of TV, in spite of being a TV broadcast engineer, And Quadgirl never showed me her picture.

The Quadfather

P.S. The turntable on the speaker is a Marantz 6300 which I recommended to her. She bought it for CD-4. Last time she mentioned it, she said she was using it for that purpose. But Altec Voice of the theater speakers have a very solid cabinet. There might not be a feedback problem.

Hey Kerr-Avon:
Sure, you're in the club. Although Ambisonics was sort of the great white elephant of multichannel, it is a qualified multichannel system. I have never heard an Ambisonic system or for that matter, I have never actually seen a piece of Ambisonic gear. I have read that it is quite outstanding. It's operational theories are quite different than that of quad. But you're in!

The Quadfather

P.S. There is an Ambisonic section in this forum, you might want to check it out. Also, add to it, as it is not well traveled.

No one has posted here in a bit so I will. Here a portion of my stuff.

Jeff02.jpg

HEY! (y) Someone with the same Reel-to-Reel as me! Cool. Will have to post pics once I get a chance.

eardoc_living_room.jpg

Since this pic was taken, I have upgraded to a Hi-Def TV.

Marantz SR7300 Sourround sound amp/receiver
Klipsch RF5 stereo speakers
Klipsch RC7 center
Klipsch KCH6 Ceiling mount surround speakers
Sony DVP-NS500V Multiplayer (DVD/VCD/CD/SACD/DVD-A)

I must say I love it.

Had this unit custom built as I could not find a tower wide enough for the QRX-7001. From bottom to top:

Kenwood KD-2055 turntable
Panasonic DVD-RP91 (runs through the Sansui)
Pioneer DV-45A (directly to the Sony)
Sansui QRX-7001 (with line out running from headphone jacks to the Sony)
Sony STR-DA3000ES (with dual 5.1 analog inputs)
Sansui QRX-777 (backup unit in case of 7001 failure)
Modern Sansui psuedo neon sign

And a large chunk of the LP collection

Attachments

• monolith.jpg
    monolith.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 524
  • record wall.jpg
    record wall.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 534
I thought I did this already...

Some of this has changed a bit (more surround discs :)), but it will give you an idea of my 'man cave'.

Attachments

• from couch.jpg
    from couch.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 526
  • back wall 2.jpg
    back wall 2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 525
  • gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 532
  • Benno.jpg
    Benno.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 525
I have no classic quad stuff, just a 6 channel preamp and a Marantz universal disc spinner. In the pic below, a pair of Maggie 1.6s, a Maggie MGCC-1 on the top shelf, behind the speaker on the left is the main power amp (AVA 550 Ultra with bronze face plate peeking out behind the speaker in the bottom left corner), 3 Outlaw M2200 amps for the center and rear channels, a McCormack MAP-1 preamp, and a Marantz DV9600. The TV is a Sony.

fro.jpg

mcCmar.jpg

Out of shot are the rear speakers and the sub (a pair of Maggie SMGc's and a Mirage MS-12, respectively).

Had this unit custom built as I could not find a tower wide enough for the QRX-7001. From bottom to top:

Kenwood KD-2055 turntable
Panasonic DVD-RP91 (runs through the Sansui)
Pioneer DV-45A (directly to the Sony)
Sansui QRX-7001 (with line out running from headphone jacks to the Sony)
Sony STR-DA3000ES (with dual 5.1 analog inputs)
Sansui QRX-777 (backup unit in case of 7001 failure)
Modern Sansui psuedo neon sign

And a large chunk of the LP collection

LED9

What is the turntable sitting on? Very clean setup btw.

Justin

Justin,
That is a piece of foam core board (from an art supply store) on top of two layers of large size bubble wrap. Had problems with bass feedback through the cart. They make very expensive platforms with air suspension and decided to make my own econo-version. Works incredibly well. Highly recommended at a cost of about $15.

Rick

system_room.jpg
This is my very basic system...for now. As listed in my siggy, it includes a just-overhauled Sansui QRX-9001, Technics SL-1300, Akai GX-630DSS, 4 Bose 501's, and some kind of CD player. I'm looking for a period correct cassette deck (Nakamichi?) to round out this system. I bought all of this new (except the CD player, of course) back in the mid to late 70's while I was stationed in West Pac.

The Sansui was just completed by Chris Ready last week, and is sounds fantastic. He replaced about 200 components, including new caps, resistors, LEDs, fuses, etc. He cleaned it, tuned it, and basically gave it a major face-lift. He even restained and polished the case. Beauty!!

The Akai got a makeover about 15 years ago, and has been used occasionally since then. With the new room set up specifically for this quad system, I expect it will get more use.

I reconed and recovered the Bose 501s about 10 years ago with a cheap eBay kit. Still sounds pretty good, though. I've still got tons of speaker cloth if anybody needs some.

The Technics SL-1300 has never been touched and works perfectly. I've submitted my request for a Lou Dorren's demod and cartridge, but I may pick up an Ed Saunders A/T CD4 cartridge from eBay (unless somebody has a better deal NOW.)

I've got a pair of Bose 901's in my spare bedroom that I would love to hook up in this system, but I don't think I can use them for the front, with the 501's in the back. I assume the equalizer would affect all four channels, and possibly the QS/SQ/CD4. One possible option is to hook up the 901's to speaker B outputs, and only use them in direct stereo mode. But, that defeats the purpose of having a quad system, doesn't it?

I've got some pictures of the work done by Chris, and will post those in the appropriate thread. Suffice to say, I am a HAPPY CAMPER!!

Here is my toy room. Tons more gear exists but is kept in the storage until needed. What I have out now is Kenwood VR-6070 Receiver, Panasonic DVD-RP91 DVD-A Player, Sony DVP-NS755V SACD Player, Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-Ray, Technics 858 Q8 Recorder, Tate 101A for creating the back surround channels from the rear surround output, Dokorder 7140 4 track & Tascam 32 1/2 track, Tascam 454 porta-studio, JBL P50 Front Channel Speakers, JBL P40 (sides) JBL P30 (rears) Surround Speakers & JBL 702VX Center Speaker front & rear. Panasonic 58" plasma. Two Peavy 2-15" cabinets with Titanic MKIII woofers and Dayton HPSA1000R amps.
DSC02244.JPG

DSC02249.JPG

DSC02250.JPG

DSC02253.JPG

DSC02254.JPG

Basement-Stereo Layout Model (1.jpg

View attachment 3217

The Akai got a makeover about 15 years ago, and has been used occasionally since then. With the new room set up specifically for this quad system, I expect it will get more use.

Suffice to say, I am a HAPPY CAMPER!!
i'm glad to see other akai gx-630d-ss'es in operation. great decks!

most of my gear can be seen in 'my stuff' below.

Back