Software decoders

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I have not heard anything decoded by the Surround Master, because despite requests that decodes be made available for comparison, no-one posted any.

I am not interested in incorrect rear channel effects. I can get those any time I like by playing stereo sources through my amp in Pro Logic II or DTS Neo 6 modes. They are no more and no less correct than what the Surround Master produces with matrixes it was not designed to handle.

Now if people want incorrect decodes and they enjoy them that's their affair. But I don't like seeing recommendations that decoders are good for matrixes x,y or z which don't include the relevant caveats. People come here for advice, as a community we owe it to them to be honest and not mislead them.

Yes the best decoder for UHJ is a UHJ decoder
I have the IMF UHJ decoder It gives a very smooth surround effect
The next best is The UD4 100 using UD4 as a matrix decoder it is almost the same as UHJ
The the Sansui system QS Michael Gerzon thought that was second best to his UHJ

Thanks for the info, it's a shame nobody currently makes a UHJ decoder, if I get Reaper and Wigware working in real time I was let you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, it's a shame nobody currently makes a UHJ decoder, if I get Reaper and Wigware working in real time I was let you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the key. You can only buy the matrix decoders on the market today. Unless you check eBay regularly.... :)
For matrix decoding and stereo to multichannel synthesis, the Surround Master tops other approaches like Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo 6 to my ears.

That is the key. You can only buy the matrix decoders on the market today. Unless you check eBay regularly.... :)
For matrix decoding and stereo to multichannel synthesis, the Surround Master tops other approaches like Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo 6 to my ears.

Fair enough. I find that Oxford Dickie decodes more stuff than I have time to listen to anyway so I generally just stick with his decodes. That does mean it's his selection of music as well (except for requests), but the quad era is one I don't know well musically and I'm discovering bands I've never heard of all the time on OD's blog.

Back