SONY Unveils First Wave of Blu-Ray Pure Audio Releases!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should point out that it has been snowing here extensively and after shoveling my driveway, I am on my second martini - no harm meant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm relieved (not quite jumping for joy!) that Sony are doing anything at all with Blu-ray even if it is the same old stuff! It seemed with all their DSD downloading & new hardware they're showing off they'd skipped BDA altogether.. ah well, it would be nice to see some new/different stuff but I'm not banking on it.

I can't find the original post. what do they mean by 20 *additional* titles?

And Peter Tosh's "Legalize it" seems like an odd choice to me. Is that still a big seller?

If its Multichannel - I'll buy it.... :D

If fact that and The Stranger are probably the only ones I'd go for...

In the spirit of hope springing eternal, I thought I'd point out how many of these titles have either 5.1 or quad mixes rumoured or existing:

- Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue 5.0 mix on SACD derived from 3 track master
- Michael Jackson - Thriller Supposedly a 5.1 mix of this exists
- Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin
- Billy Joel - The Stranger 5.1 mix on SACD
- Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison 5.1 mix on SACD
- Janis Joplin - Pearl Quad mix released on Q8 and LP
- Carole King - Tapestry Quad mix released on Q8 and LP, 5.1 mix released on SACD
- Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
- Herbie Hancock - Headhunters Quad mix released on Q8 and LP and re-released on SACD
- Dave Brubeck - Time Out 5.0 mix on SACD derived from 3 track master
- Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
- Lou Reed - Transformer
- The Clash - London Calling
- Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
- Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble - Texas Flood Thom Cadley said he completed a 5.1 mix for this and it was scheduled but never released on SACD
- Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin 'On
- Pearl Jam - Ten
- James Taylor - JT 5.1 mix on SACD
- Peter Tosh - Legalize It 5.1 mix on SACD
- Patti Smith - Horses

I agree that it would be nice to see some new/unreleased 5.1 mixes, but you have to start somewhere. If these discs do contain 5.1/4.0 mixes it makes total sense to reissue them first as they've officially been out of print for almost 10 years. I'm sure if sales are encouraging that more discs will be forthcoming - it's encouraging that both Sony and UMG are releasing high resolution in the same physical format...now it's Warner's turn to join the party.

Like I said, "I'm sure some members here would love to have these titles in 5.1..." These titles are all old news. Give me something new - how about some Bruno Mars, Daft Punk, Queens Of The Stone Age, Coheed & Cambria, Justin Timberlake - Hell, I'll even take some pure pop princess shit like Katy Perry or Lady Gaga - anything new to move this FORWARD! I love Miles Davis "Kind of Blue." Got it - everyway since Sunday. We complain about Sony sticking it to us and then when they stick it to us again we jump for joy - can't have it both ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would literally kill for Random Access Memories in 5.1. I just can't see Daft Punk giving someone the authority to do it without being a part of the process. But yes, more of the same is not going to be a winning strategy though seeing new to non-cd/vinyl items like Pearl Jam and The Clash is good to see.

I would literally kill for Random Access Memories in 5.1. I just can't see Daft Punk giving someone the authority to do it without being a part of the process. But yes, more of the same is not going to be a winning strategy though seeing new to non-cd/vinyl items like Pearl Jam and The Clash is good to see.

If there are no current(previous) surround mixes of these titles, then they will be hires 2.0 BD - NO DOUBT! No disrespect to anyone here who finds the notion of that exciting - but I'm not here for that reason.

This is good news from Sony. I'm in for any of those confirmed as surround. (I hope they don't play at loudness wars just to show 'how good SACD is').

I'd love Lou Reed's Transformer in real surround. I listen to my quad up-mix from the original CD release quite a bit. It sounds pretty good as the CD was well mastered, but something more discrete should be excellent!

This was one of my originals CDs I bought when they first came out. It's RCA but no date just 1972 which was the album release date not CD release.

It's about time! Hell, Sony only invented the format. All the titles on the list are rereleases of SACD titles, except Clash, Joplin, Pearl Jam and three RCA/Arista titles.

Joplin's Pearl is the only one I would buy on this list. Musically and mix-wise, it's one of my favorite Quads. Yes, I know, some people think the mix could be better. If it were 5.1, I might also buy Reed's Transformer.

Let's hope all of the titles previously released in 5.1/Quad will be mch. If Legalize It is 5.1, it would be a mixed blessing. My 5.1 SACD's value would surely tank.

Andy was everybody's Darling:
215469163391614257_mkjxzm3v_c.jpg

er, make that CANDY was everybody's Darling:
candy6.jpg
Take a walk on the Wild Side...

image.jpg
In the spirit of hope springing eternal, I thought I'd point out how many of these titles have either 5.1 or quad mixes rumoured or existing:

I agree that it would be nice to see some new/unreleased 5.1 mixes, but you have to start somewhere. If these discs do contain 5.1/4.0 mixes it makes total sense to reissue them first as they've officially been out of print for almost 10 years. I'm sure if sales are encouraging that more discs will be forthcoming - it's encouraging that both Sony and UMG are releasing high resolution in the same physical format...now it's Warner's turn to join the party.

Excellent sleuthing! Though it was SRV's "Couldn't Stand The Weather" that got remixed into 5.1 by QQ Member Thom C.

http://www.thomcadleymusic.com/7173.html

Fingers crossed for surround. I already own a lot of these titles on SACD, but I'd rebuy them in BD if they were surround. I'll also buy the newly available titles by Lou Reed, Patti Smith, the Clash and Sly Stone even if they aren't in surround, although I'd obviously prefer surround.

I'm confused.
These are all Universal releases, not Sony.
The linked thread on SA-CD.Net says quite clearly
Thread: Universal Music 25 new "Blu-Ray Audio" format titles for May

So they will be the HF-PA form - although a little bird told me recently that UMG's next batch will drop the HDMV authoring style & go to BD-J style instead - much better.
I'm not even sure how they got HDMV authoring to map the tracks on the remotes either.........but the next lot should be properly made according to the PA-BD Authoring guidelines as adopted by the AES standard AES-21 ID
(PDF attached for reference)View attachment Pure Audio Blu-ray specification according to AES-21 ID.pdf

I'm confused.
These are all Universal releases, not Sony.
The linked thread on SA-CD.Net says quite clearly

So they will be the HF-PA form - although a little bird told me recently that UMG's next batch will drop the HDMV authoring style & go to BD-J style instead - much better.
I'm not even sure how they got HDMV authoring to map the tracks on the remotes either.........but the next lot should be properly made according to the PA-BD Authoring guidelines as adopted by the AES standard AES-21 ID
(PDF attached for reference)View attachment 12933

The thread title "Universal Music 25 new 'Blu-Ray Audio' format titles for May" is a thread title from April 2013, Neil. Somebody just posted about these new Sony releases in that Universal thread without creating a new one, but AFAIK all those titles are still owned by Sony and not Universal.
I'll buy any of those that have 5.1 surround for sure! :)

The thread title "Universal Music 25 new 'Blu-Ray Audio' format titles for May" is a thread title from April 2013, Neil. Somebody just posted about these new Sony releases in that Universal thread without creating a new one, but AFAIK all those titles are still owned by Sony and not Universal.
I'll buy any of those that have 5.1 surround for sure! :)

quessing time.

what will warners release? I hope james taylor sweet baby james and mudslide slim

joni Mitchell- blue and court and spark

Gordon lightfoot- sundown and cold on the shoulder-they were both quad lp mixes.

UMG - I bet the stones beggars banquet and some girls
the who- live at leeds and who's next

Back