"Sparkle in the Rain" Separating Fact from Fiction

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I just got through chatting with Amazon UK. They are processing a refund for the original preorder price of 19.74 GBP that included shipping charges. They provided a return shipping label for one of the discs. I guess the only sure bet is to order through burning shed. Sorry Adam.

Well I received my replacement disc today...I did initially buy a blu ray but received a DVD-A instead...which is fine with me...I actually never opened the blu ray and played it...but I will now just to compare the 2...as I suspected it came from London and the booklet that came with the DVD set was included with the DVD-A

003.JPG

Wow, I'm glad I'm not a member there. What a bunch of over inflated, pompous asses.

That's why I don't even listen to suggestions from that forum...my favorite on that thread is that Steven Wilson shouldn't even be doing new stereo mixes..LOL...and the irony is they follow Steve Hoffman(Mr. Minimalist)like he was some type of super human...it's just sad on several levels...

That's why I don't even listen to suggestions from that forum...my favorite on that thread is that Steven Wilson shouldn't even be doing new stereo mixes..LOL...and the irony is they follow Steve Hoffman(Mr. Minimalist)like he was some type of super human...it's just sad on several levels...

That is just a tiny, but very vocal minority. We've seen it's mainly one guy that's attacking Steven's work. He seems to have something almost personal against him. Weird.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not a member there. What a bunch of over inflated, pompous asses.

I can understand your reactions believe me. I've been a member since 2006 and many great people have left because of the attitude that a minority of members have in general. Not just regular members, but also special guests like Bruce Johnston, Andrew Sandoval, Ken Scott, Barry Diament, and many more. I've learned to read the posts of those whose opinion I value and respect and ignore the few that really seek to aggravate people. I did take a two year break from the place a few years ago. Like any other forum, it's a reflection of society in general so at some point there are bound to have some agitators. I've made some very good friends over the years and there are a many knowledgeable people there that make me learn new things everyday (as it's the case here also). I've recognized many fellow members who are also part of this wonderful place that is QQ and this is why I chose to join as well. Your group is much smaller and there's a family vibe here that I like. You don't have to worry about me. I'm not a trouble maker. Like you, I'm hooked to multichannel music and music in general and I'm glad there are places where one can discuss and learn about amazing music. I think it's a privilege to be a member so I don't intend to jeopardize this at all. Not my style. :)

Don't worry, be happy! :D

Better still, ignore them (I find that feature v.handy in threads I'm interested in where people who's p.o.v I'm not interested in chime in these days, that's for sure!) or tackle 'em head on if they're really out of line! :p case in point, I told some fella getting personal what for on a Bowie thread there the other day - telling me to "shove it where the sun don't shine".. just cos I asked for Hi-Res & Surround Bowie! I am NOT taking that kind of nonsense lying down and neither should you Clint or anybody else.. the vast majority of people there and elsewhere are there in a good cause, we have to stay mindful of that and as the saying goes "don't let the b@st@rds get you down!" :)

I can understand your reactions believe me. I've been a member since 2006 and many great people have left because of the attitude that a minority of members have in general. Not just regular members, but also special guests like Bruce Johnston, Andrew Sandoval, Ken Scott, Barry Diament, and many more. I've learned to read the posts of those whose opinion I value and respect and ignore the few that really seek to aggravate people. I did take a two year break from the place a few years ago. Like any other forum, it's a reflection of society in general so at some point there are bound to have some agitators. I've made some very good friends over the years and there are a many knowledgeable people there that make me learn new things everyday (as it's the case here also). I've recognized many fellow members who are also part of this wonderful place that is QQ and this is why I chose to join as well. Your group is much smaller and there's a family vibe here that I like. You don't have to worry about me. I'm not a trouble maker. Like you, I'm hooked to multichannel music and music in general and I'm glad there are places where one can discuss and learn about amazing music. I think it's a privilege to be a member so I don't intend to jeopardize this at all. Not my style. :)

I just noticed your join date...WELCOME...there are many valued members over there...my main problem is with the overall atmosphere..you are correct about this place having a "family" vibe...my problem with that forum(aside from the agitators)is Steve Hoffman's involvement...it's great that he can provide information about the industry but he also seems to suppress any negative comments about his work..even people with objective views find themselves either on the outside of conversations or banned...IMO it's a fine line when you start discussing your own work...at times it's like the Hitler youth group over there as they all march in unison to every thing SH says..and their views on surround recordings is ..well...strange...again I guess that mirrors SH's views as well...

You will notice the moderators on here operate with a soft touch...not a hammer...because they aren't just moderators they are music lovers at heart...I think because the membership on here is "mature"..you have less problems...we are certainly fortunate to have someone like you join our group...we are small but passionate...and people on here actually share information...which is what I like the most...I'm sure you have seen Adam(fredblue)over at SH...when I first joined here he welcomed me from day one and helped me right off the bat...it's been that way ever since...newbies aren't "probies"(NCIS reference for you TV folks)on here...we are all equal from day 1..

I said this about "that" forum a few months ago when the faulty Simple Minds discs originally went out, and it's still true today.

They are probably jealous that he [SW] hasn't given them the time of day since December 2012. He knows better than to deal with them...

Clint, what is your tv brand & screen size? Mine is a 65" Samsung. The top of the line LCD/LED. I used to have a Panasonic Plasma from 2006 but upgraded to a Samsung LCD/LED about 3 years ago. Then, the 65" a few months ago. I keep going bigger. Now, I want a 75"-80" screen size. :yikes

I played this disc in its entirety tonight. Well, just the surround tracks in DTS-MA. It sounds pretty good but overall, the levels are up and down on instruments including the center channel vocals from one track to another. Though, overall, it sounds spacious.

In retrospect, I regret saying what I said. I've never really frequented that site much, so I really don't know anyone. I should have said it seems to have a few pompous.... :)

In retrospect, I regret saying what I said. I've never really frequented that site much, so I really don't know anyone. I should have said it seems to have a few pompous.... :)

No worries Lad. When you have a place that has 40,000+ members like that, you're bound to find a little pomp and circumstance from time to time... ;)

I played this disc in its entirety tonight. Well, just the surround tracks in DTS-MA. It sounds pretty good but overall, the levels are up and down on instruments including the center channel vocals from one track to another. Though, overall, it sounds spacious.

Universal has confirmed that my replacement copy had been shipped so I'm looking forward to hearing it. I'm grateful that many of you here have shared the information on how to contact Universal about the issue and get a replacement. In my letter to them I show my appreciation for their releasing music in multichannel and that I hoped they would continue doing so.

Clint, what is your tv brand & screen size? Mine is a 65" Samsung. The top of the line LCD/LED. I used to have a Panasonic Plasma from 2006 but upgraded to a Samsung LCD/LED about 3 years ago. Then, the 65" a few months ago. I keep going bigger. Now, I want a 75"-80" screen size. :yikes

Going from plasma to LCD/LED is not an upgrade ...don't get me started on LCD's..I'm glad you enjoy your display and that is all that counts...I have 4 plasmas...the one you saw is a Panasonic 65 inch VT-65..the very last model year for Panasonic plasmas...my next tv will be an OLED...and it will have to be at least 75 inches for me to make the switch...I don't buy any Samsung products...the company is way too sleazy/corrupt for my tastes..

Going from plasma to LCD/LED is not an upgrade ...don't get me started on LCD's..I'm glad you enjoy your display and that is all that counts...I have 4 plasmas...the one you saw is a Panasonic 65 inch VT-65..the very last model year for Panasonic plasmas...my next tv will be an OLED...and it will have to be at least 75 inches for me to make the switch...I don't buy any Samsung products...the company is way too sleazy/corrupt for my tastes..

I like corruption. Keeps things interesting and that's exactly why I switched from Panasonic (Corrupted) to the Samsung brand (more corrupted).

In all seriousness, I loved my 42" Panny Plasma I had since 2006. When I needed a new tv, the plasma was on it's way out and that is why I just said F*** it and purchased a 55" Samsung. By the time I wanted a bigger screen (65"), plasma was caput. LCD sets have come a long way...improved quite a bit, and as long as my viewing angle is kept to a minimum, I'm fine with the picture. Though, the deep blacks are what I really miss. Like I stated, I wanted to get the best set they make and that's what I did without doing 4K. I'll wait for pricing to come down on 4K OLED in a couple of years. By then, we might be seeing 8K sets. Technology...gotta love it!! :yikes

Back