Spectrum - Billy Cobham & Thrust - Herbie Hancock - Audio Fidelity Quad SACD (Feb 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm beyond stoked by these two releases! I'm not surprised the Spectrum DVD-A didn't particularly resonate with people, it was a wonky mix and even wonkier mastering. The center channel was 5dB too loud, and the rears were 5dB too quiet so the sound as a result was almost like 'big mono'. Even when you make the corrections the mix is average at best - I'd say at least 50% (or more) of the information is double stereo, so it's not the kind of mix that would make you want to forget the original stereo mix. Looking forward to retiring it forevermore when I get the AF reissue in my hands.

Thrust may not turn out to be the same kind of revelation, but the quad mix is really good and the music is superb. Go look up the original stereo CD on amazon and read the user reviews and you'll see how highly it's thought of as an album, especially from people who like the first Headhunters album. Can't wait for this one either.

If anybody's really interested in getting this 4.0 SACD, preorder it on amazon now to lock in the current price of $23.50
(Also full packshot of front cover below) :)

81CwThUBMYL._SL1500_.jpg

Too slow - it's now $29.98!

I can't agree more with Brian. This Spectrum Quad SACD is spectacular. I have to admit I was never into this album back in the day, and probably never gave the DVD-A enough playtime in the car, but man, this quad mix is incredible. I was playing it tonight on my way home and it was so good I wanted to grab bystanders and put them in my car to hear it.

I honestly can't wait for you all to listen to it. To me this is the finest 4.0 SACD released by AF since they started. Even if you are a rock fan who isn't into jazz per say, this disc will grab you if you give it a chance.

OH MY GOD!! Don't start Quadnapping people..!!! :yikes ;) :p :D :ugham:

I am SO super excited about the previously unreleased Quad of Spectrum.. :cool:

..oh gawd.. I've gawn and bleedin wet meself..!! :eek:

Another comment I would make is the Spectrum Quad SACD is a drumming spectacular.
So, if you like albums where the drums are a featured part of the music - or certainly if you are a drummer - this is your SACD! :)

And a side story on this one.

When Audio Fidelity was exploring Spectrum as a candidate for Multichannel SACD release, Warner Music had both tapes in the vault - the 5.1 mix (DVD Audio) and the never released 4.0 Quad mix - available for licensing.
Marshall asked me my advice on which one to license and I told him it had to be the unreleased 4.0 Quad. My reasoning was the 4.0 Quad would likely have one of the immersive WEA Quad Mixes (vs. the less than exciting 5.1 DVD-A mix), the Multichannel SACD tracks would be a direct Analog Master Tape to DSD transfer by Gus Skinas and it would be a chance for everyone to hear the previously unreleased Quad mix. Listening to the test SACD disc and comparing it to the earlier DVD-Audio disc, that was definitely the right call.... :)

Mr.Moura, I've said it before and I'll say it again.. you are absolutely, every inch, head to toe, to the moon and back, to infinity and beyond, all 2.8224 mHz of you, THE MULTICHANNEL MAVEN and you live up to that moniker completely. :worthy

Thank you for everything you do with these releases, they have fast become treasured jewels in my little collection. Just wonderful. Now, how about some more unreleased 5.1 mixes..? Pretty Pleeeeeeaze...??? :p

I've already sold off my DVD-A of the Cobham, I have faith that the mix and mastering of the new SACD will surpass it in every way. May as well flip that sucker before there is a potential flood of them on the market.

Hoping for more "album rock" titles this coming year from Audio Fidelity. Jazz/Rock Fusion I do consider album rock. Now that they have gotten the soft pop titles out of the way. LOL

I've already sold off my DVD-A of the Cobham, I have faith that the mix and mastering of the new SACD will surpass it in every way. May as well flip that sucker before there is a potential flood of them on the market.

Good idea.

Fragile and some Silverlines will be more in demand soon in the used DVD-A market..

Nice thread boys, just caught up on all the new pre orders via Amazon with AF. Listening to Spectrum on Tidal now in stereo, I can't wait to hear this 4.0 mix, Yep !

For those that do not know the unreleased quad mix, it's totally discrete. The guitars are planted in each rear speaker, with the drums and bass in the stereo fronts.

These guitars are clear as a bell and you would think the dude was standing next to you playing the guitars
There's seems to be just one guitar (by Tommy Bolin). The other instrument is a synthesizer played by Jan Hammer. But yes, he is mimicking a rock guitar style, if you like.

edit: steelydave did already mentioned this :p

There's seems to be just one guitar (by Tommy Bolin). The other instrument is a synthesizer played by Jan Hammer. But yes, he is mimicking a rock guitar style, if you like.

Hee! I'm too tired/lazy to check right now (been up all night listening to music, again), but I think at least one of Jan's albums has a line on the back that reads something to the effect of, "There were NO GUITARS used on this album." :)

-- Jim

Now, how about some more unreleased 5.1 mixes..? Pretty Pleeeeeeaze...??? :p

The unreleased mixes - 4.0 and 5.1 - are the toughest ones to bring out. In some cases, the rumored mixes into Surround either didn't happen or can't be found.
But there is still hope for the occasional unreleased Surround mix on Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD (like Child Is Father to the Man, Super Session and now Spectrum). Stay tuned....

The unreleased mixes - 4.0 and 5.1 - are the toughest ones to bring out. In some cases, the rumored mixes into Surround either didn't happen or can't be found.
But there is still hope for the occasional unreleased Surround mix on Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD (like Child Is Father to the Man, Super Session and now Spectrum). Stay tuned....

I appreciate that.. :)

Are any of these on AF's radar, please?

Allman Brothers - Brothers And Sisters (4.0),
Byrds - 5D (5.1),
The Cars - The Cars (5.1),
Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross (5.1),
Deep Purple - Burn (5.1),
Doobie Brothers - Minute By Minute (5.1),
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (5.1),
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus (5.1),
Michael Jackson - Thriller (5.1),
Killers - Hot Fuss (5.1),
Ramsey Lewis - Sun Goddess (5.1),
Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane (5.1),
Michael McDonald (1st solo album) (5.1),
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger (5.1),
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything? (5.1),
David Sanborn - Voyeur (5.1),
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic (5.1),
Rod Stewart - A Night On The Town (5.1),
Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing (4.0),
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy (5.1)

Or am I wasting my time even asking about the likes of the Rod Stewart's etc., since there is absolutely no chance of any Warner 5.1's, previously released or otherwise?

I would love to hear either of those Rod surround albums - preferably BOTH! :D .. but it seems less and less likely "as time goes by" to coin one of his schmaltzy songbook tunes.. :eek:

I appreciate that.. :)

Are any of these on AF's radar, please?

Or am I wasting my time even asking about the likes of the Rod Stewart's etc., since there is absolutely no chance of any Warner 5.1's, previously released or otherwise?

I would love to hear either of those Rod surround albums - preferably BOTH! :D .. but it seems less and less likely "as time goes by" to coin one of his schmaltzy songbook tunes.. :eek:

Some are already spoiled because of Mobile Fidelity's stereo-only SACD program. "Brothers and Sisters" is definitely one of those, and I'm sure there are others also in that situation. Plus, I think you can throw out "Excitable Boy" for now, simply because Audio Fidelity released it as a stereo SACD a few years ago.
Finally, Universal's lack of participation thus far says a lot about the possibility of Multichannel SACDs from their library, including "Pretzel Logic"… :(

Back