SQ MATRIX Various Information ( BILLBOARD 1972-1976 )

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

par4ken

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
DAVID BOWIE - SERIOUS MOONLIGHT
That was originally on VHS and Beta HiFi. I had the Beta and now have the LaserDisc as well. The Beta tape suffered from a couple of drop outs but the LaserDisc sounds fine. I have it recorded on my hard drive ready to split into tracks. It was exciting to see new SQ releases in the eighties even though it turned out to be just a teaser as further new releases failed to materialise.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
That was originally on VHS and Beta HiFi. I had the Beta and now have the LaserDisc as well. The Beta tape suffered from a couple of drop outs but the LaserDisc sounds fine. I have it recorded on my hard drive ready to split into tracks. It was exciting to see new SQ releases in the eighties even though it turned out to be just a teaser as further new releases failed to materialise.
Yes I agree Ken . I thought that Bowie SQ TATE tape was the start of much more SQ recordings to come.
I also had it on Beta HIFI, ....and also on VHS HIFI as well.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
No. The original QS mix was taken directly from the movie (and is still in the movie, even though it is labeled Dolby Surround - the encoding is basicly the same).

Columbia probably added CD-4 processing to its labs so they could experiment with it, or to try the Leonard Feldman idea of matrixing the discrete disc.
Midi I could be wrong but...
I'm not aware that Len Feldman (inventor of EV-4) had any process proposal for a discrete with matrix disc format pro development. It's the first time I've read someone mention that Len Feldman came up with one.
Are you sure you don't mean Duane Cooper who worked with Nippon Columbia to develop the UD-4 format ?

MidiMagic

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I'm not aware that Len Feldman (inventor of EV-4) had any process proposal for a discrete with matrix disc format pro development. It's the first time I've read someone mention that Len Feldman came up with one.
Are you sure you don't mean Duane Cooper who worked with Nippon Columbia to develop the UD-4 format ?
I have the article.
"Why the Four Channel War need not Take Place" Leonard Feldman,
Audio 06/1972 pp. 30-32

jaybird100

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
CBS equipped its pressing plant for CD-4 in order to be competitive with other pressing plants, so they could get business from other labels that used that system. It just made good economic sense.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
CBS equipped its pressing plant for CD-4 in order to be competitive with other pressing plants, so they could get business from other labels that used that system. It just made good economic sense.
Yes and also to keep an eye on the competition. At one time Ben Bauer said he would consider a
marriage with CD-4 with an SQ matrix carrier.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I have the article.
"Why the Four Channel War need not Take Place" Leonard Feldman,
Audio 06/1972 pp. 30-32
Thanks Midi-
Yep , I read it and Len Feldman proposed both a DISCRETE album with EV-4 and a Discrete album with an SQ carrier.
My guess is at the time both Sansui and Columbia/CBS were too busy with promoting their respective matrices.
This left a void for the creation of UD-4 (with a matrix carrier) namely Duane Cooper 's BMX(QX) which married up with Nippon Columbia , Denon Records to become the UD-4 format.