QS MATRIX , ITEMS OF INTEREST (Billboard 1972-1976)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CAPITOL QS... from Los Angeles

"Twelve albums released a little over a month ago in QS quietly. It was first noticed that Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon , as QS in a demonstration in New York by Sansui at The International Radio Programming Forum."
(September 07 1974, pg 03)

FYI
-This is in reference to the 12 Q8'S by Capitol Records which were same time released.
-More importantly there has been no credible confirmation that these twelve albums in QS are in fact true!

Sansui vario matrix chips introduced. The QS Vario Matrix chips are manufactured by Hitachi.
(November 03 1973 ,06)

A very large and varied advertisement by Sansui as an update.
Worldwide there are 496 QS albums , of which 166 are in the USA.
(-Pg 69)

Impulse Records quads as were made at The Village Recorder.
(November 24 1973, 16)
Picture of current Ovation quad Records, QS and available Display Rack.
(Pg 76)
Sansui information advertisement and promotion of KLOS FM , L A
(Pg 79)

Ovation Records and Sansui QS Advertisement.
(December 08 1973 , 21)
101 Strings , Spain vol 3 , EV-4 Review
(Pg 76)

ABC Records advertising, with pictures of some Records in QS quad.
(October 26 1974 pg 39 ,44)

QS Records listings.
(January 11 1975, 28)

Dick Schory debuts his Vector 4 albums at the Winter CES
(January 18 1975 ,55)

QS FM Guide advertisement, 24 FM Stations are 24 hours in QS.
(March 01 1975, 37)

Quad Records Chart from Japan .
(March 15 1975 ,44)
Ad presenting The Who - Tommy in QS (5ch Quintaphonic)
(-51)
Sire Records are so pleased with the QS Synergy album that they will record The Climax Blues Band and Fireballet in QS Quad.
"We plan to use the system(QS) on all future releases". -Craig Leon .
(-63)

Impulse Records are releasing 17 more QS recordings.
(March 29 1975, 14)

Advertisement featuring Ovation Vector 4 and Black Jazz QS Records.
(April 19 1975, 47)
Some comments in quad by Streeterville Ovation engineer, "Dolan".
(-56)
GRT Classical Tapes will feature Stereo Matrix Quad.
(-94)

Dennis Weaver's -One More Road in QS , advert
(May 03 1975 , 39)

Tommy The Movie theatrical release in QS ...General release advert.
(-May 17 1975, 81)

PLEASE NOTE : My Apologies for some of these past posts which I notice some post duplicity 😲, but mainly in this page ...vs page 01.

First CYMA 45'S in QS released, by John Standish , Sandra Jean Browne , and Tanden Hayes.
(June 07 1975 ,12)
Sansui QS update/advert.
(-52,53)

"Dealer Demo Quads" features one song , Eulogy... in QS by the band Igauna, from their album "Winds Of Alamar" on Quadratrack QTX 101.
(December 20 1975 , 36)

An artist's article on the performance of the Koss QS Demo and their headphone.
(April 24 1976,10)

Introduction of new Sansui Encoder QSE 5B and Decoder QSD-1
(September 20 1975 , 25)

Paul Anka - The Painter QS LP on United Artists, released.
(September 25 1976 ,15)also
(October 16 1976 , 18)

(September 20 1975 , 25

(October 16 1976 , 18)

Note Ovation Records new QS albums are known as Sector 4 ,( not Vector)

(September 20 1975 , 25

(October 16 1976 , 18)

Note Ovation Records new QS albums are known as Sector 4 ,( not Vector)
The Paul Anka album had the QS logo on the back cover, and on the label.

Record companies didn't want "Quadraphonic" on the record jackets because record stores put them in quadraphonic bins instead of the bins containing the artist's other releases.

Record companies didn't want "Quadraphonic" on the record jackets because record stores put them in quadraphonic bins instead of the bins containing the artist's other releases.
I don't think that happened at first. Some record labels such as "Billingsgate" actually labeled stereo records as Quad. Some bootleg releases were implied to be Quad, but were not. In both cases they were early on jumping on the bandwagon hoping to expand their sales. Liner notes about quad were added to the Beach Boys "Sunflower and Surfs Up" even though they were not encoded.

I suspect that the Quad bins started as a way for those who recently purchased a new Quad system to easily be able to find something to play on it, without wading through all the stereo and mono releases. The industry made the mistake of pricing Quad higher than stereo, warranting special placement.

As Quad wasn't living up to expectations obvious markings like gold bordering disappeared and the Quadraphonic indication on the cover got smaller. Quad was being downplayed.

Quad records should have replaced stereo (as single inventory). Quad should have been marketed as a totally compatible sonic upgrade.

Those "quadraphonic" bins were the first place I'd look! I found what I was looking for there, as well as music I wouldn't have discovered otherwise. Having all the quads in one place worked for me!

Yes, it can be found at the :

" Q8 and Q4 plus mixing in quad for future release" thread ......., post #6.
.....re 11 Q8'S released by Capitol.........
I thought that, as far as the records were concerned, the rumor had been debunked. I would have liked for it to have been true, but after hearing that the rumor was just that, I decided to not bother searching out for the ones I don't already have.

I thought that, as far as the records were concerned, the rumor had been debunked. I would have liked for it to have been true, but after hearing that the rumor was just that, I decided to not bother searching out for the ones I don't already have.
I would be much more surprised if the rumors are not true. It would have made perfect sense for many quad mixes to have been done during the heyday of quad, all intended for future release. While quad wasn't living up to the industrys (somewhat unrealistic) expectations actual release of those would have been shelved. So do unreleased mixes still exist, I hope so. I will never give up hope!

If we are talking soley about those that were released as discrete (Q8), with an encoded LP planned but not released, then it is of much less importance as the discrete masters might (hopefully) still exist.

I still believe that OD has an actual copy of the QS encoded "So What" album (a tape copy not vinyl). He would not have (knowingly) faked it. I just wish that he would share it with us, rather than just his decode!

I recall some of that happening, but I don’t believe it was a universal practice. Similar to stereo vs. mono, there certainly were stores with separate sections for different channel numbers. Nowadays, the record stores I visit don’t segregate, and neither do I. My quads are right in between my monos.

I don't think that happened at first. Some record labels such as "Billingsgate" actually labeled stereo records as Quad. Some bootleg releases were implied to be Quad, but were not. In both cases they were early on jumping on the bandwagon hoping to expand their sales. Liner notes about quad were added to the Beach Boys "Sunflower and Surfs Up" even though they were not encoded.

I suspect that the Quad bins started as a way for those who recently purchased a new Quad system to easily be able to find something to play on it, without wading through all the stereo and mono releases. The industry made the mistake of pricing Quad higher than stereo, warranting special placement.

As Quad wasn't living up to expectations obvious markings like gold bordering disappeared and the Quadraphonic indication on the cover got smaller. Quad was being downplayed.

Quad records should have replaced stereo (as single inventory). Quad should have been marketed as a totally compatible sonic upgrade.
It sure happened here. The single-inventory releases went to ONLY the quadraphonic bin. If I was looking for all records by an artist, I had to check the artist's bin and the quadraphonic bin to find all of them.

In the case of Columbia, the stereo versions went to the artist's bin and the SQ ones went to the quadraphonic bin.

Later, the stores put them all in the artist's bins and I had no idea of any new quadraphonic releases.

I've stated it before and i still feel strongly about it.
That Capitol Records really had their head up their #ss when it came to quad, and Rock in general.
"which one is pink?: mentality prevailed.

That they were given SQ masters of Floyd's Atom Heart and DSOTM ...and used those encodes to manipulate something for Q8 , rather than do the obvious...release both in SQ and follow up with obtaining Q4 masters for the proper Q8 releases ?? Well as a quadraphile you would just have to sigh and give up on that label.

They initially did that with the anthologies , SQ and Q8 ....so I can't find any rational reasoning in their decisions.

All of their later Q8 Catalogue could have been matrix encoded and should have been as far as I'm concerned .

Last edited:
Back