QS MATRIX , ITEMS OF INTEREST (Billboard 1972-1976)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A&M/Ode had 2 QS albums released...Tommy/LSO and guests and
Carole King - Music.
Three Carole King QS albums were actually announced .....
Tapestry , Music , and Rhymes And Reasons.View attachment 91366

@jaybird100 .....
Oh my ok. I thought I'd give you this QS release info , as I never saw any articles in Billboard....that were specific to A&M Records QS Matrix program.
This list comes via Ken Sessions book.

So anyway what were the other titles ?

Note the obvious typo of "August 1964" !

16837468023144815124278388077385.jpg

@jaybird100 .....
Oh my ok. I thought I'd give you this QS release info , as I never saw any articles in Billboard....that were specific to A&M Records QS Matrix program.

View attachment 91406
It was an advertisement from A&M, not an article, that showed 5 titles slated for release in QS. Besides the Joan Baez album, they also showed "A Song For You", from The Carpenters. I don't remember what the others are, but when I saw that ad, I started salivating, like one of Pavlov's dogs. I'm still trying to find more info about that ad.

You saw a QS copy of "Tapestry"? The Ode albums other than "Music" were released in CD-4 in Japan.

I think that "Music" is the best sounding QS album ever. I wish that the others would have come out in the same format. I don't think that the "Tapestry" mix was very good, at least not in comparison to "Music".
It was an American pressing, as far as I could tell. And it had the 4 stacked Quadraphonic logo on the cover.

You might also try the Involve encoding, which is RM, but with Involve's touches. Excellent compatibility with stereo and mono, too.
I chose QS over SQ for the first album I produced, the soundtrack recording of Bernard Herrmann’s music for “Sisters”, a film directed by Brian DePalma. Pressed on virgin vinyl by Wakefield Mfg. in Phoenix, Arizona, the album was not only well received, but sold (initially by mail order) well. Herrmann, a notoriously cantankerous character, was thrilled with the results. Long live QS!

I chose QS over SQ for the first album I produced, the soundtrack recording of Bernard Herrmann’s music for “Sisters”, a film directed by Brian DePalma. Pressed on virgin vinyl by Wakefield Mfg. in Phoenix, Arizona, the album was not only well received, but sold (initially by mail order) well. Herrmann, a notoriously cantankerous character, wmy cas thrilled with the results. Long live QS!
I happen to have that album. I share your enthusiasm for QS. The sound on "Sisters" is excellent, and through the Surround Master, it sounds very discrete. I got my copy direct from Entr'acte.

I mentioned the Involve encoding system because it's an improved version of RM. As you know, QS and RM are, essentially, the same. The Involve encoder is an up-to-date version of QS. I've experimented with the system, encoding from discrete sources, and the results are more than impressive. If you get in touch with Chucky down there, he can tell you more.

Not entirely true. My Samsung plays in stereo through its internal speakers. It's tinny, but it is stereo. There's no headphone jack, but it's also stereo through Bluetooth.
Might as well be mono! Just like the old Boom Boxes or "Ghetto Blasters". What is gained by having speakers placed so close together? They could have saved money by making them mono only. I cringe at the thought! I have the same feelings about sound bars as well!

It was an American pressing, as far as I could tell. And it had the 4 stacked Quadraphonic logo on the cover.
If it is QS, I would love to have a copy. Nothing is listed in Discogs, but that does not disprove its existence. It would have to be ultra rare.

I once considered using the stacked Quadraphonic logo as my avatar.

There is an encoded version of The Carpenters "A Song For You", released in New Zealand. When I came across it I immediately added it to my want list, it also has got to be ultra rare with no indication that it was released anywhere else and NZ being such a small market. The (A&M) label doesn't say the format, so it could be QS or SQ.

If it is QS, I would love to have a copy. Nothing is listed in Discogs, but that does not disprove its existence. It would have to be ultra rare.

I once considered using the stacked Quadraphonic logo as my avatar.

There is an encoded version of The Carpenters "A Song For You", released in New Zealand. When I came across it I immediately added it to my want list, it also has got to be ultra rare with no indication that it was released anywhere else and NZ being such a small market. The (A&M) label doesn't say the format, so it could be QS or SQ.

The Quadrophonic Discography says it's SQ .

@jaybird100 .....

View attachment 91406

I just saw this. What do they mean, "As of August 1964, more that 300 QS-encoded titles were available." 1964?

Ditto for A&M Adverts .
I did a search in Google and couldn't find it, either. I know I'm not crazy; I did see it. They featured the Joan Baez album, but had the other 4 titles pictured as well, at the bottom of the page. They all appeared to share the same artwork style as the Joan Baez album; album artwork, turned at a 45 degree angle against a black background, with the word "Quadraphonic", and the A&M quad symbol, above the album artwork, all of them marked as "coming soon".

I did a search in Google and couldn't find it, either. I know I'm not crazy; I did see it. They featured the Joan Baez album, but had the other 4 titles pictured as well, at the bottom of the page. They all appeared to share the same artwork style as the Joan Baez album; album artwork, turned at a 45 degree angle against a black background, with the word "Quadraphonic", and the A&M quad symbol, above the album artwork, all of them marked as "coming soon".
I'm still waiting for a lot of what was "coming soon" in the quad days!:confused:

QS ALBUMS IN JAPAN AND THE U.S.INDICATED AS STEREO
SANSUI QS LPS GET STEREO TAG;

Sansui Chief , Moto Miyake ;
"A lot of quadrasonic albums are being pressed now ..without the phrase QS on the label"
He feels that some record labels are doing this for protection . If quadrasonic sales begin to explode , they can claim that all their product for some time , has been in quadrasonic .
Also Sansui representatives debuted the new Sansui QSD -1 Decoder .

Sansui QS I..C. Chips , made by Hitachi are debuted at the Summer CES (June 15th 1974 ; 52)

EDITS RE ABOVE:《》

《SANSUI QS LPS GET STEREO TAG;

Sansui Chief , Moto Miyake , Director Of Merchandising Development
etc.........
(June 15 1974 , pg 01, 32)》

Back