QS MATRIX , ITEMS OF INTEREST (Billboard 1972-1976)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be much more surprised if the rumors are not true. It would have made perfect sense for many quad mixes to have been done during the heyday of quad, all intended for future release. While quad wasn't living up to the industrys (somewhat unrealistic) expectations actual release of those would have been shelved. So do unreleased mixes still exist, I hope so. I will never give up hope!

If we are talking soley about those that were released as discrete (Q8), with an encoded LP planned but not released, then it is of much less importance as the discrete masters might (hopefully) still exist.

I still believe that OD has an actual copy of the QS encoded "So What" album (a tape copy not vinyl). He would not have (knowingly) faked it. I just wish that he would share it with us, rather than just his decode!
It's possible he did have it, but Joe Walsh recorded for ABC, so it would have been QS. On the other hand, I think any of those Capitol albums, allegedly in unmarked quad, would have been SQ. Capitol did release a number of Q8's that didn't make it to vinyl in the US, but the rest of the world was another story.

I've stated it before and i still feel strongly about it.
That Capitol Records really had their head up their #ss when it came to quad, and Rock in general.
"which one is pink?: mentality prevailed.

That they were given SQ masters of Floyd's Atom Heart and DSOTM ...and used those encodes to manipulate something for Q8 , rather than do the obvious...release both in SQ and follow up with obtaining Q4 masters for the proper Q8 releases ?? Well as a quadraphile you would just have to sigh and give up on that label.

They initially did that with the anthologies , SQ and Q8 ....so I can't find any rational reasoning in their decisions.

All of their later Q8 Catalogue could have been matrix encoded and should have been as far as I'm concerned .
I'm with you, Fizz. They could have done that, but didn't. All we got in quad, on LP from Capitol, were those sampler albums. They weren't awful, but they didn't really spotlight their mainstream artists as they could have.

Hell , Capitol Records in the US also ignored The Beatles explosion in rock for the longest time.
Americans on the border who heard them on Canadian radio crossed over to Canada to buy Beatles records!

Hell, 'they probably cancelled Star Trek !"

Hell, 'they probably cancelled Star Trek !"
This is wildly off-topic and I will accept the wrath of the mods, but you reminded me of something I just learned this week: We sci-fi nerds have always known that you can connect "Star Trek" to "2001: A Space Odyssey" via Gary Lockwood, but it turns out there's an even older connection. The 1957 Canadian film version of "Oedipus Rex" which inspired Tom Lehrer's "theme song" has a cast that includes Douglas Rain and...William Shatner!

Rain has a prominent speaking role but sounds absolutely nothing like HAL. Shatner is in the chorus and, just like the rest of the cast, is masked, so it's impossible to know which one he is.

This is wildly off-topic and I will accept the wrath of the mods, but you reminded me of something I just learned this week: We sci-fi nerds have always known that you can connect "Star Trek" to "2001: A Space Odyssey" via Gary Lockwood, but it turns out there's an even older connection. The 1957 Canadian film version of "Oedipus Rex" which inspired Tom Lehrer's "theme song" has a cast that includes Douglas Rain and...William Shatner!

Rain has a prominent speaking role but sounds absolutely nothing like HAL. Shatner is in the chorus and, just like the rest of the cast, is masked, so it's impossible to know which one he is.

Oh that's interesting.

I've never seen that movie...maybe i should ?
Both of Shatner's T . Z . episode appearances are worthwhile viewing.

I've never seen that movie...maybe i should ?
Depends on your tolerance for classical theater. It's pretty much just a filmed stage play with very broad performances. It's interesting, though my puny brain had the same problem with it that I have with Shakespeare: I spent so much time simply trying to process the words that missed major plot points.

Mostly I just wanted to know what inspired Tom Lehrer!

The single-inventory releases went to ONLY the quadraphonic bin.
That should never have happened! They were single-inventory compatible releases that should not have been singled out! they were expected to be placed in with the stereo and mono LP's. I had expected that all new releases would be coming out that way. I never understood why not! Usually such releases would not have overly obvious quad markings anyway. In many cases they would have simply been labeled as stereo, with a note about encoding on the label or cover.

I have heard that RCA abandoned plans for single inventory when all their new releases started being put in the quad bin. Those records were conspicuously labeled as Quadradisc. There seemed to not have been proper communication between the labels and retailers!

My Quadradisc copy of "The Best of The Guess Who Vol 2", came from the regular record bin in a local store.

That should never have happened! They were single-inventory compatible releases that should not have been singled out! they were expected to be placed in with the stereo and mono LP's. I had expected that all new releases would be coming out that way. I never understood why not! Usually such releases would not have overly obvious quad markings anyway. In many cases they would have simply been labeled as stereo, with a note about encoding on the label or cover.

I have heard that RCA abandoned plans for single inventory when all their new releases started being put in the quad bin. Those records were conspicuously labeled as Quadradisc. There seemed to not have been proper communication between the labels and retailers!

My Quadradisc copy of "The Best of The Guess Who Vol 2", came from the regular record bin in a local store.
We have to remember who was putting the records in the bins: Hired employees. They probably were just told to fill the bins according to simple rules. So if the word quadraphonic was on the record, it went into the quadraphonic bin. Otherwise, it was filed according to artist.

A record store with intelligent operation would have either put half of the records in each bin, or put one of each quad record in the quad bin and the rest in the artist bin. The quad bin copy would be replaced if it was sold.

And then there were people like me who, once they got a bad taste of Quadradisc, avoided CD-4 altogether.

Last edited:
IMHO, the big record companies + big record store chains could/should have provided a binder in each store with pages of (nearly) all of the Quad LP releases, with new pages added each month (or 2 weeks).

Quad LPs would be handled the same way as Stereo LPs were in the Mono era, placed in the artist bin, not in a separate Quad LP bin.

It would be interesting to ask people who ran large record store chains during the Mono-> Stereo LP era & (attempted) Stereo -> Quad LP era why they were able to mix Stereo and Mono LPs in the same artist bin (up until ~1968) but seemed to forget how to do that just 3 years later (when Columbia SQ Quad records began to appear in ~1971).

One of the great imponderables of the Quad era...

Kirk Bayne

IMHO, the big record companies + big record store chains could/should have provided a binder in each store with pages of (nearly) all of the Quad LP releases, with new pages added each month (or 2 weeks).

Quad LPs would be handled the same way as Stereo LPs were in the Mono era, placed in the artist bin, not in a separate Quad LP bin.

It would be interesting to ask people who ran large record store chains during the Mono-> Stereo LP era & (attempted) Stereo -> Quad LP era why they were able to mix Stereo and Mono LPs in the same artist bin (up until ~1968) but seemed to forget how to do that just 3 years later (when Columbia SQ Quad records began to appear in ~1971).

Kirk Bayne
I remember my father getting a hi-fi stereo system (we went down to London to Tottenham Court Road [was the Hi-Fi centre of the capital] with him to buy it) and he stuck on a Mantovani LP he had and got a shock that it was stereo!

Kirk Bayne

Yes all good points , Kirk. I know one of my frequently visited shops had a big binder of all the releases , currently, yellow pages. They used it often. It also had import albums such as EMI and European albums . No Asian listings though.

It was displayed, so that a customer could also access , and if I remember correctly they had a little sign that read " please ask clerk for assistance".

Mostly I never used it , because they carried the current editions of The Schwann Record And Tape Guides , Schwann's #1 and #2. Monthly .
They had what I needed...current quadraphonic releases listings. And they were quite accurate......until those new quadradiscs on WEA in mid 75.

I just wish Sansui had done better promoting of their QS Albums and earlier in that 70's decade.
Also wish I could have had access to their Japanese QS/RM etc , Catalogue of rarities .
And too bad they couldn't release any of the made for Rock , Jazz , Popular QS broadcasts , such as those of WQIV NEW YORK /Record Plant East , KMET Sausalito/Record Plant West....and "Weekend Tour" from the 2 members of CCR, Doug and Stu.

Also assist in promoting SQ matrix and QS....so promote Matrix in general , rather than nit pick with one another.

I heard “Switched-on Bach” in SQ and was hooked. Bought the decoder, bought an amp, got a pair of speakers for the rears. Spent all I had, not unusual for that time of my life. Then came QS, which confused me, although it was still cool through my SQ decoder. Then came CD-4, which pretty much required a whole new system, and I turned my back on it. I was an electronics technician at the time, and certainly geeky enough to think the gear was interesting, but having three different setups just wasn’t something I could handle. After all, I wanted to keep dating girls.

I also seem to recall that some stores treated quads like they had a disease, quarantining them into an “audiophile” section where they also had direct-to-disc, half-speed-mastered, virgin vinyl and other infectious elements, although that wasn’t universally so.

I’m not surprised the non-technical public was confused to the point of ignoring the whole thing. These days, in my dotage, I don’t need to date, I have the means to obtain the hardware, but my hearing ain’t what it used to was.

Kirk Bayne
Actually I remember being in a record section of a department store in the late 1950s and there was a bin "New Stereo Records"

And remember that old mono equipment would damage stereo records.

Actually I remember being in a record section of a department store in the late 1950s and there was a bin "New Stereo Records"

And remember that old mono equipment would damage stereo records.
I remember record stores, back in the late 50's and 60's, having entirely separate sections for mono and stereo records. One store, in particular, had a sign, advising record buyers who didn't yet own a stereo record player, to look at the monaural records. The sign went on to say that mono records could be played on stereo record players, but stereo records had to be played only on stereo record players, to avoid damage.

Getting back to the QS matrix topic, IIRC, Ovation Records (their QS albums were single inventory) stated in ~1976/77 that placing their albums in the Quad bin hurt sales, so they came up with a new designation, something like "STEREO multichannel album" and didn't use the word Quad.

(IMHO, RCA had the right idea - single inventory CD-4 at the stereo album price - too bad they gave up on that idea after a year and a half)

Kirk Bayne

I remember record stores, back in the late 50's and 60's, having entirely separate sections for mono and stereo records. One store, in particular, had a sign, advising record buyers who didn't yet own a stereo record player, to look at the monaural records. The sign went on to say that mono records could be played on stereo record players, but stereo records had to be played only on stereo record players, to avoid damage.
The best advice would be to get people to replace their mono cartridge with a stereo one, then they would be able to play anything without problems. Many people didn't bother with stereo LP's anyway, they were $1.00 more expensive!

Also stereo fold down to mono wasn't the same as a properly done mono mix.

Getting back to the QS matrix topic, IIRC, Ovation Records (their QS albums were single inventory) stated in ~1976/77 that placing their albums in the Quad bin hurt sales, so they came up with a new designation, something like "STEREO multichannel album" and didn't use the word Quad.
Yes those were Ovation's last quad albums , they had nothing on the front to indicate quad but on the back a little blurb known as "Sector 4".
And some had the QS emblem there, but not all.

(IMHO, RCA had the right idea - single inventory CD-4 at the stereo album price - too bad they gave up on that idea after a year and a half)

Kirk Bayne

I at the time had no idea there were so many on RCA , and yes too bad they quit, so soon.
FWIW CBS/Masterworks had two SINGLE INVENTORY SQ as well....Bernstein's Mass , and Boulez -Bartok Concerto for 4 Orchestras , and about a year later a Stereo copy of each was released, this according to Billboard.

Always scratched my head as to why why ABC didn't follow through with an all QS single inventory program .....re Steely Dan ..3 Dog Night....etc .

Yes those were Ovation's last quad albums , they had nothing on the front to indicate quad but on the back a little blurb known as "Sector 4".
And some had the QS emblem there, but not all.

I at the time had no idea there were so many on RCA , and yes too bad they quit, so soon.
FWIW CBS/Masterworks had two SINGLE INVENTORY SQ as well....Bernstein's Mass , and Boulez -Bartok Concerto for 4 Orchestras , and about a year later a Stereo copy of each was released, this according to Billboard.

Always scratched my head as to why why ABC didn't follow through with an all QS single inventory program .....re Steely Dan ..3 Dog Night....etc .
By that time, it became known that the high sales of Q4 reel recorders was due to people building home studios instead of quadraphonic systems. Some company heads got so mad that the company threw out everything quadraphonic they had.

Every Q4 reel system I ever serviced (as a service technician) was in a home studio.

Back