SQ Shadow Vector Soundfield Mapping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes a simple google search will reveal that. But, as I said previously his website does not seem to have been updated since 2017.

A couple of pics of the final decoder.

Attachments

• ShadowVectorFront.jpg
    ShadowVectorFront.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • ShadowVectorRear.jpg
    ShadowVectorRear.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Finally it seems components are now available, so a small production run can start. Is anyone based in essex, UK and happy to do a review. I've only got a couple of pre-production units, but could loan one for a week or so.
I'm in the UK but Cambridge not Essex. And I'm struggling to maintain analogue multi channel input capability. I may buy one when you do a small production run, but I'm not in a position to do a review.

A couple of pics of the final decoder.
There's no obvious socket for firmware upgrades. It may never change, but on the other hand...

Talking of sockets, what's the chances of the ADAT out working into the optical in of my Arcam AVR31? I suspect it is close to zero, alas.

No firmware upgrades needed, as all the decode modes are mathmatically correct as per published data. However should the need arise its fairly easy to swop the internal SD card.

No firmware upgrades needed, as all the decode modes are mathmatically correct as per published data. However should the need arise its fairly easy to swop the internal SD card.
I'm not saying the decoding would need changing. I write software for a living, I'm sure the source code for this is more than 10 lines long, and therefore it almost certainly has bugs in it. That's just a fact of life. Whether they're bugs that matter is a different issue. But if it's just a swap of an SD card then that's fine, there's a software update path.

YES I would be in as I don't have one of them
I remember reading about Shadow Vector in the old pages from Audionics

Dolby Pro-Logic decoding is no longer offered in A/V receivers (since 2014).

Although SQ decoders aren't designed to decode Dolby Surround, the Dolby Surround encoded surround channel is the same as SQ encoded CB (180 degrees out of phase in Lt and Rt).

I'm interested to know how well the Shadow Vector SQ decoder will decode Dolby Surround encoded content since there's quite a lot of content available (VHS Hi-Fi videotapes, LaserDisc videodiscs, some DVD & Blu-ray discs and TV shows from ~1990 onward).

Of course, the modified Dolby B NR used on the surround channel in Dolby Surround won't be decoded.

edit:
I see Dolby Pro-Logic 2 and QS decoding are included, so the only remaining issue is the modified Dolby B NR part of (original) Dolby Pro-Logic decoding system.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Back