SQ Shadow Vector Soundfield Mapping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. EV-4
2. DY
3. QS
4. SQ
5. BMX
6. H
7. BHJ
8. PL (Pro Logic II)
9. Omega: (stereo wrap) This implements the classic stereo wrap around the room. However this doesn't rely on adding negative cross-talk and pushing it through a QS/RM decode, this like all modes uses shadow vector, thus retaining stable images and a constant power decode.
10. ST: (plain stereo to front channels)
11. User defined mode. In this mode the vinyl pickup adjustments, Axial Tilt and Balance are repurposed to allow arbitrary adjustment of front and rear decode locations on the horizontal x,y plane of the Scheiber sphere.

1. EV-4
2. DY
3. QS
4. SQ
5. BMX
6. H
7. BHJ
8. PL (Pro Logic II)
9. Omega: (stereo wrap) This implements the classic stereo wrap around the room. However this doesn't rely on adding negative cross-talk and pushing it through a QS/RM decode, this like all modes uses shadow vector, thus retaining stable images and a constant power decode.
10. ST: (plain stereo to front channels)
11. User defined mode. In this mode the vinyl pickup adjustments, Axial Tilt and Balance are repurposed to allow arbitrary adjustment of front and rear decode locations on the horizontal x,y plane of the Scheiber sphere.
Those folk who like to complain about multiple quad formats will be tearing their hair out! The stereo wrap function is an excellent addition!

I tried to send a PM to Lynn Olson and make him aware of Malcolm's progress. I thought if a copy lands in his Email box it would get his attention.

However there is no "start conversation" on his name or profile. Can someone else give this a try?

I tried to send a PM to Lynn Olson and make him aware of Malcolm's progress. I thought if a copy lands in his Email box it would get his attention.

However there is no "start conversation" on his name or profile. Can someone else give this a try?
I’m seeing the same thing, says he hasn’t been seen here in over 3 years.

I found his facebook page and it looks like he's been recently active, so perhaps you could reach out to him there:

https://www.facebook.com/lynn.turner.olson/
If he's having trouble logging in to QQ (forgotten password or something) have him reach out to the QuadraphonicQuad Facebook page and I'm sure we can sort things out.

8. PL (Pro Logic II)
Is that Pro Logic II Movie mode, with no Centre channel?

Personally I've had a fair amount of use of Pro Logic II Music mode on my previous AVR when listening to Proms concerts on BBC Radio 3. It's one of the things I've lost when I finally gave in and changed AVR.

I like that this can handle multiple formats.

Maybe...just maybe , this could spur some people to issue some of the great
music from The 1977 ,1978 BBC Matrix H , shows.
Re "Alan Freeman Saturday Quad Special Segments"

Will this Shadow Vector decoder be the 1st logic assisted Matrix H decoder (not an adapted QS variomatrix decoder)?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Will this Shadow Vector decoder be the 1st logic assisted Matrix H decoder (not an adapted QS variomatrix decoder)?

Kirk Bayne
I don't think you can relate sophisticated Shadow Vector decoding in the digital domain to the crude analogue 'Logic' decoders of the seventies, but yes, this is likely to be the most accurate H & QS decoding ever implemented.

Provided the licensing issues can be dealt with, Matrix H encoded stereo content could be (Shadow Vector) decoded and released on (Rhino style) DTS-HD 4.0 region free Blu-ray audios.

This type of thing was done ~20 years ago with the SQ encoded stereo master for the Buddy Rich video (SQ -> Tate SQ decoder -> DD & DTS 4.0 DVD).

Kirk Bayne

I don't think you can relate sophisticated Shadow Vector decoding in the digital domain to the crude analogue 'Logic' decoders of the seventies, but yes, this is likely to be the most accurate H & QS decoding ever implemented.
i'm super excited about it!! there's some fab stuff only in SQ that i think could really benefit from the Shadow Vector decoding!! 😍

Back