Stereo or Surround on First Listen?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstevee00

When looking for new surround albums to add to my collection, I tend to go for albums I am already familiar with in stereo. However, I sometimes will get a surround disc for something I've never heard before if the surround mix is strong enough and the right opportunity comes by. For example, I just picked up a DVD-A copy of Beck's Sea Change which I've never heard before even in stereo.

This leads me to my question: when you pick up a surround disc of an album you've never heard before, do you listen to the stereo version first or go for the surround version first? There are definitely advantages for both approaches, though most times I tend to give the stereo version a listen to familiarize myself with the material. I feel like it helps me appreciate the details of the surround mix better.

You can save yourself money & disappointment if you listen to a stereo version first (YouTube)
If you like the style of music then get a surround version. I always enjoy the M/C version over stereo.
I think some QQ members are unhappy with the type of music they buy and then voice their disappointment with a low vote.

For me its likely 50/50, and it depends on what else is going on in my LuvLife :ROFLMAO:
I have discovered many a new album as stereo in my car, sometimes many days before i get a chance to play the MC. Then there are the times a new release shows up on a Friday night in the winter... then its gonna be a Saturday morning surround fest... after i rip it, of course.

I generally like to sample albums I've never heard of in stereo prior to purchasing the surround version, but if I end up really enjoying the material, I'll try not to listen to it a lot until the surround arrives. Why? I find that the more familiar I become with the stereo mix of a given title, the more critical I'll end up being of the multichannel mix. Hearing certain aspects of the music that you're used to being prominent either dialed back or missing entirely can be incredibly distracting. I guess there's the old saying - "ignorance is bliss" :ROFLMAO:

I audition some stuff I'm not familiar with on YouTube but sometimes blind-buy. Once I've bought it though, I usually only play the surround mix. I have stereo stuff on all of the surround discs that have been released over the past 10 years or so that I STILL haven't listened too (like some of the Yes BDs).

Stereo always comes first, because I always audition my newest discs under headphones here at the workstation before I file them, surround-audition them, or play them elsewhere. And there's always a "5.1-first-before-filing" stack downstairs in the surround collection shelf, next to the main system.

If I know the stereo mix well, I go straight for the surround mix. If I've never heard the music before and the package comes with a stereo CD, sometimes I'll spend a week with the CD in my car before getting to the surround mix. I don't think I've listened to the hi-res stereo mixes on any of my surround discs!

Easy answer for me. I listen to the MCH in surround cuz, you know, that's why I bought it. I can't even think of an example where I've listned to a surround mix in stereo. Even if I buy a 2ch stereo disc it goes through the Surround Master. I liten to stereo only in the most casual times, such as driving.

Back