Steve Hoffman Looks for 5.1 Mix Advice

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone who is a member here and there should chime in. Let him know how you feel. I think it's great that he is asking for advice.

JonUrban said:
Everyone who is a member here and there should chime in. Let him know how you feel. I think it's great that he is asking for advice.

It all depends on the music itself, and a bit of history. There are good MCH remixes and there are bad MCH remixes on both type, aggressive and ambience.
Since he's dealing with a R&R band, the best option will be "how they would had mixed this if they could do it at that time?", which involves not only musical content but esthetic too. Was the band a straight R&R player? Was the band willing to transport you into a imaginary world, musically described? This makes a lot of difference. For example, i will treat in a very different way "Satisfacion" compared to "Lucy in the sky with diamonds". The Stones track lends itself for a more soundstage-centered with rears used as ambience and occasional stuff, while the Beatles track will be ok for a full swirl of music all around: actually, the intention was to transport you into the swirling world of Lucy.
IMHO Steve needs to listen some MCH mix well done, starting from DSOTM - Alan Parson version, continuing with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, adding a Santana (any of Caravanserai, Welcome, Borboletta), Joan Baez's Diamond & Rust, Eagles Hotel California, Moody Blues Days of future passed and a few others. Also a good idea will be listening a MCH mix badly done, to avoid previous mistakes - and i think anyone here can name almost a dozen of titles.
Why not compile such a list? The best 10 mch mixes, and the worse 10 mch mixes? Any mch format welcome (sq, qs, cd4, ev, ud, qr, q8, dd, dts, dvd-a, sacd).After all, we're more expert than Steve on that, so passing him along a good suggestion will be useful for everyone.

Didn't he ask this same question about 6 months ago? Tons of feedback and bickering were submitted then. If he doesn't know how we feel about it by now then he never will. Actually here's the link to the old thread.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=17760

I got frustrated then and I'm not going to fall into that trap again. Obviously he will not change his idea of "gimicky" surround mixes.

I get the feeling Steve is going to be overwhelmed by the response. Everybody has their own idea on surround and are not afraid to share it. The response is just going to look like white noise to him (in fact, that's about about what it looks like now).

It will be interesting to see what he actually ends up doing. I don't understand why he is attempting a surround mix when he so opposed to the idea... hopefully he won't do surround fans a disservice.

Cai Campbell said:
I get the feeling Steve is going to be overwhelmed by the response. Everybody has their own idea on surround and are not afraid to share it. The response is just going to look like white noise to him (in fact, that's about about what it looks like now).

It will be interesting to see what he actually ends up doing. I don't understand why he is attempting a surround mix when he so opposed to the idea... hopefully he won't do surround fans a disservice.

Amen. Leave it to the guys who get it. Stay away if you don't.

Guy Robinson said:

Good to see some quad board members getting into the discussion with some great points. Jon's getting some deserved kudos for his posts...maybe Mr. Hoffman will keep some of this in mind...

Guy Robinson said:

I was going to post on that thread but didn't because why try and convince someone to do something they don't believe in?

Steve has to WANT to do MC mixes and then seize the opportunity to create his vision from an MC perspective..Until he does get it, he should bring someone else in to do them for his projects..

John the Depot Dude said:
I was going to post on that thread but didn't because why try and convince someone to do something they don't believe in?

Steve has to WANT to do MC mixes and then seize the opportunity to create his vision from an MC perspective..Until he does get it, he should bring someone else in to do them for his projects..

I couldn't help myself from posting even though it is a waste of time.

It may not have been a waste of time. We'll have to wait and see.
From what he posted, he does not have much to work with for this one.

JonUrban said:
It may not have been a waste of time. We'll have to wait and see.
From what he posted, he does not have much to work with for this one.

Yeah, I saw that too. So I wonder which CCR disc(s) he is doing? :)

Back