Stop Making Sense to get a new 4K theatrical run, courtesy of A24 (with E.T. Thorngren Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was different about the laserdisc cut? I don’t recall! I thought there was just the original cut, and the extended cut with the additional tracks. I know there were several audio mixes, but can someone remind me what is different about the laserdisc cut? Does it have to do with Chris Frantz’s “Snow White” reference during “Genius of Love”?

Take this with a grain of salt because I can't verify it, but I was told by someone who saw the new theatrical presentation recently that the film was an entirely new edit with shots that weren't in the original film. This would explain both the stories surrounding the release about how they tracked down the original camera negatives in a vault in Nashville (why would you need this for a re-release of an existing cut?) and also the contents listing of the new BluRay showing a 'Talking Heads cut' (ie the 2023 version) and a 'Jonathan Demme cut'.

From what I can gather, the laserdisc was full-frame, uncropped, revealing more on the top and bottom of the frame. Every release after that was properly cropped to 1.78 as it was shown in the theater. Perhaps that's what they mean by the "laserdisc cut"?

Also I found this online, highlighting some audio differences between the LD and subsequent releases:
  • 6:20: Byrne's feedback is completely different (louder and longer on the LD)
  • 12:52: Byrne's "thank you" to the audience is a different take
  • 48:10: Different instrumentation during the intro of This Must Be the Place
  • The audience noise between most songs is typically very different (in addition to being much quieter in the 1999 mixes)
Curious if the LD cut will have these changes present (in addition to Chris's unedited Snow White line).

If I understand this correctly I can't believe they would get rid of the 5.1 on a 4K disc in favor of laser disc versions

Full list of features is out now. Copy paste:

Special Collector's Edition of Stop Making Sense available in Standard HD Blu-ray or 4K UHD with HDR.

Featuring a 64-page interior booklet with never-before-seen photography, archival production documents, foreword by Jerry Harrison, and more.

Disc extras include:
○ Talking Heads Extended Cut (2023) featuring “Cities” & “Big Business / I Zimbra” (includes previously unseen / newly restored negative)
○ Jonathan Demme Extended Cut (1985) featuring “Cities & Big Business / I Zimbra” (1989 LaserDisc Transfer)
○ 25-minute making-of documentary edited by Bill Ross IV
○ Jonathan Demme Director Commentary (Recorded in 1999, remixed in 2023 featuring previously unpublished archival audio)
○ David Byrne rehearsal tape (Archival VHS footage)
○ Bonus Songs “Cities” & “Big Business / I Zimbra” (2023 and 1985 edits)
○ 2023 Dolby Atmos and 1984 Original Stereo mixes

So the 5.1 mixes are getting dropped, but the Laserdisc/VHS cut is getting a transfer and that same cut is getting a full restoration as the “Talking Heads Extended Cut”
The commentary on all previous video releases was Demme *and* the band (all recorded separately), so the fact that it's now just listed as Jonathan Demme Director Commentary is... weird. Has the band been cut out of the commentary? I wonder if that's why "previously unpublished archival audio" is being added.

In any case, the extras aren't all that inspiring. I'm shocked that last year's post-premiere reunion Q&A from Toronto (moderated by Spike Lee) isn't included. If the rehearsal tape is anything substantial, then... maybe? But, if it's just a short excerpt, then the only real new extra is the making-of documentary, and that's not enough for me to justify paying the A24 asking price (especially since I'm not equipped for 4K). If this was a Criterion release, I'd *gladly* snap it up during a 50% sale.

But, if it's just a short excerpt, then the only real new extra is the making-of documentary, and that's not enough for me to justify paying the A24 asking price

I was just watching a few tracks today from the BDV release and the video is pretty ordinary, actually worse than remembered.

EDIT:
Both the BDV and 4K UHD should be are a big improvement. Reports the 4K theatre run was very good

Take a look at this promo video quality and compare to the previous BDV release (or DVD or laserdisc). It’s like a brand new movie:

Last edited:
Does a24 charge your credit card straightaway for pre-orders? Or when the item ships? I had a look on their website but couldn't see the answer.

Does it have to do with Chris Frantz’s “Snow White” reference during “Genius of Love”?
Oh man, I'd completely forgotten about that, though it was sure a jarring change at the time. Does anyone have any idea why it happened? I assume it wasn't just Random Drugs Are Bad Mmm-kay Paranoia.

The new 4k HDR Stoo Making Sense is released on Kaleidescape for download March 26! $24.95! Of course you must have invested in the kaleidoscape movie system!

Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2024 9:02 PM
To: Steven Bruzonsky
Subject: A Note from Lorde ❤️

1711634819341.png

1711634751612.png

I watched the new A2 4K HDR version on my Kaleidescape system yesterday.. Outstanding. I feel both audio and video are improved. I compared on Kaleidescape, the 4K HDR versus the Ultra HD (non-HDR 4k) versus Blu-ray quality and you could definitely see some improvement with the 4K HDR version on my 65” LG OLED.
Also compared to the 2012 blu ray version. (note: Kaleidescape often has Ultra HD versions as on some tvs that do not process HDR very well it looks better). The audio is simply outstanding in Dolby Atmos! A clear improvement over the prior 5.1 soundtrack - vocals and everything are simply clearer and more focused!

Thanks Steve. So does Kaleidoscope have two versions of this, one in HDR and one non-HDR? Or did you play the release with HDR on and then off? My understanding is the upcoming UHD BD release is in HDR.

Thanks Steve. So does Kaleidoscope have two versions of this, one in HDR and one non-HDR? Or did you play the release with HDR on and then off? My understanding is the upcoming UHD BD release is in HDR.
Kaleidescape has, all in Atmos, 4k HDR, 4k Ultra HD (no HDR), and blu ray quality. The highest version you buy video wise allows you to also get the lesser video versions. I played the entire HDR version and played a bit of each of the other versions to compare out of my morbid curiosity!

Back