Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" (new Blu-Ray Audio release out in July; A24 Blu-Ray of film now available)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, fishy's have to wait ..for a couple of hours. Wife's out meeting her friend, so it's on Ultra Mad Max.
How to describe what I'm seeing and hearing 🤔
Might need to use a few Anglo Saxon words....😀
Vikings be gone...
Danes are in retreat...

Just buy it folks.
It's the best live show ever.
By one of the best bands ever.

Oh yeah, it's region free Duncan 😎

Last edited:
Half way through my new 4K-Dolby Atmos copy released 2024.
Wow, no doubt everyone was correct, very HIGH ENERGY, really fun and engaging to watch.
Really good 5.1 surround, not so good Dolby Atmos.
But, could be in stereo for all I care, it is the video performance that captures me.
Sweat baby Sweat.
Get up and boooooogieeeeeee

I watched this a couple nights ago. The Atmos mix is very nice but not as loud as the previous DTS-HDMA 5.1 BD release. Quite noticeable when switching between discs (in my case switching between MKV rips).

Listening on my 7.2.4 system there is lots going on in the surrounds not so much in heights. The centre is a little loud compared to FL & FR so I remixed with boosted FL, FR (+3db), LFE (+3db), surrounds (+6db) and heights (+9db) which improves the mix IMO but the unedited Atmos is still very good!

To me to the new Atmos mix is my definitive listen. Previously it was the DTS 5.1 Studio Mix from the BD release.

The picture is the best it’s ever looked. I had the JP Laserdisc, DVDV, BD and now 4K UHD releases. I was a little disappointed in the picture overall. It’s an upgrade on the BD but it’s not the UHD reference quality I was hoping for. I watched in Dolby Vision.

This new 4K UHD is the definitive version for me with the extended (18 song) version 4K remastered video and Atmos 7.1.4 mix. I doubt I will ever watch or listen to the previous BD (16 song + 2 bonus songs) release ever again.

I tried ripping, but my BD drive kept ejecting the disc. I finally realized that it was because drive can't handle 4K UHD discs. Damn! I so wanted to add the Atmos layer to my music server. This is the problem with not including both options in one package.

I tried ripping, but my BD drive kept ejecting the disc. I finally realized that it was because drive can't handle 4K UHD discs. Damn! I so wanted to add the Atmos layer to my music server. This is the problem with not including both options in one package.
Depending on the drive and manufacturing date, you might be able to change the firmware so it can read UHD Blu-ray discs.

My drive is the Pioneer BDR-XS06, purchased in 2015. I can't imagine it can be reconfigured at this point. Apparently the BDR-XS07UHD is the way to go for ripping UHD discs, but it's $180.

There are many other drives that work perfectly fine.
Thanks! I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm a Mac user and my ripping knowledge is limited to MakeMKV and MMH for audio. It appears there are certain criteria one has to have in order to rip UHD discs which confuse me (specific drive with specific firmware? LibreDrive? Leawo software?). Is this the case, or am I overthinking?

Thanks! I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm a Mac user and my ripping knowledge is limited to MakeMKV and MMH for audio. It appears there are certain criteria one has to have in order to rip UHD discs which confuse me (specific drive with specific firmware? LibreDrive? Leawo software?). Is this the case, or am I overthinking?
Changing firmware can be complicated.

That's what I'm worried about. Willing to spend the money on a BDR-XS07UHD if it works for ripping right out of the box.
Quick search shows you will have to do some research before buying that drive, or most any drive really.

I see that now. Looks like I'll have to purchase an early firmware drive from a specific seller or wait for MakeMKV to release an update. Thanks so much for your help and sorry for the tangent! Back to SMS!!!

My copy arrived in the Netherlands today. Watching it now, albeit not very loud as I have to consider my neigbours (it’s midnight here now). What great stuff!!
It seems to me that the video is not always in sync. And during the last minute of the last song there are some serious audio glitches. Anyone recognise this? I’ll have to try and clean the disc to see if I can solve this. Otherwise it’s a minor downer but still annoying given that I have paid a lot of money to get this.

Back