Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" (new Blu-Ray Audio release out in July; A24 Blu-Ray of film now available)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see it is streaming on MAX now, but I don’t see it listed with 4k or ATMOS.
Edit: looks like I need the "No Ads Expanded" package for 4K

Last edited:
My copy arrived in the Netherlands today. Watching it now, albeit not very loud as I have to consider my neigbours (it’s midnight here now). What great stuff!!
It seems to me that the video is not always in sync. And during the last minute of the last song there are some serious audio glitches. Anyone recognise this? I’ll have to try and clean the disc to see if I can solve this. Otherwise it’s a minor downer but still annoying given that I have paid a lot of money to get this.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-mov...-david-byrne-a24-40th-anniversary-1234828312/

The original release of the film has never been completely in sync because the film was edited together from several concert performances. Also, the Jerry Harrison and E.T. Thorngren have re-mixed the original soundtrack stems, in order to create a new Atmos soundtrack for this version. They have used different takes, compared to earlier versions of the film. This is immediately noticeable from the opening track Psycho Killer, when the ending of the acoustic guitar now is identical to the original CD soundtrack, for the first time. Alex Weir's out-of-tune singing in Burning Down The House is now almost eliminated in the new mix, the lyrics and Chris Franz' shouting in the Tom Tom Club performance have been changed, to eliminate references to cocaine. The sound from singers and instrumentalists on screen are now more focused, when they are in the picture. These are just a few of the changes in the new release. The old soundtracks are included on the disc.

The Atmos mix is the most audiophile version I've heard. The dynamic range is huge - much less fatiguing to listen to. I could crank up the volume way up, without shredding my ears.. A wonderful, enveloping mix, all the instruments and vocals are much better defined, compared to the previous 5.1 "studio mix".

And I've had no audio glitches whatsoever, during the two times I've seen this, during the past week.

That's what I'm worried about. Willing to spend the money on a BDR-XS07UHD if it works for ripping right out of the box.
I have an LG WH16NS40 BD-RE optical drive. DVDFab was able to roll the firmware back for UHD ripping. Don't quote me but I think the WH14NS40 may work out of the box if you can find one.
I have a newer Verbatim rebadged Pioneer external drive that can't be rolled back..I'd be careful of newer Pioneer drives. There are lists out there....

Just watched this gem last night on the living room 5.1.2 Atmos system. It quickly became the loudest (so clean) playback with my wife present! No complaints so I kept ticking it up. At minimum, the frenetic energy is that of a revival!

The footage was the best I'd ever seen for this film, going back to the theatrical print we saw in 1984. As with others, had the Laserdisc from Japan and all the subsequent re-issues. Some sync issues here and there due to performance variations but all done in the proper spirit. The sound was very good; I resisted the urge to adjust channel balances as my wife can get annoyed with the Denon AVR-X2200h's slow black menu option overlays. Did tweak the LFE up +2 and closed it. I'll check the channels balance more closely on the 5.1.4 system soon, just wanted a big fun evening together and that worked out well. It will be a pleasure to take that on task.

I did appreciate the mixing focus for the featured musician on screen at the time. The only obvious time they missed it (or could not make it happen?) was with percussionist Steve with a cowbell. The footage was screaming hear my cowbell but it was as if it was muted. Then in similar footage cutaway to Steve again a minute later most definitely had cowbell present in the mix.

Premium price I wasn't fully on board with now appears justified for the deluxe packaging and content. Hooray A24!

Where y'all buying yours? No availability on Amazon in the States, eBay prices are insane. A24 website has them for $58 and $10 shipping :(
A24. And just be eternally thankful that you live in the good ol' US of A and only pay a mere $10 for shipping - and are not hit with customs and import fees either!

A24. And just be eternally thankful that you live in the good ol' US of A and only pay a mere $10 for shipping - and are not hit with customs and import fees either!
A24 is not very clear on this, but their shipping price includes customs and import fees! I got in the Netherlands without additional fees, paid $108,84.

No indication that it is a limited run. Have no idea why someone would prefer to purchase on eBay.
Not so much a preference, likely just awareness. Shoppers don’t see it through their usual sources so unless they know about A24 they pay through the nose.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-mov...-david-byrne-a24-40th-anniversary-1234828312/

The original release of the film has never been completely in sync because the film was edited together from several concert performances. Also, the Jerry Harrison and E.T. Thorngren have re-mixed the original soundtrack stems, in order to create a new Atmos soundtrack for this version. They have used different takes, compared to earlier versions of the film. This is immediately noticeable from the opening track Psycho Killer, when the ending of the acoustic guitar now is identical to the original CD soundtrack, for the first time. Alex Weir's out-of-tune singing in Burning Down The House is now almost eliminated in the new mix, the lyrics and Chris Franz' shouting in the Tom Tom Club performance have been changed, to eliminate references to cocaine. The sound from singers and instrumentalists on screen are now more focused, when they are in the picture. These are just a few of the changes in the new release. The old soundtracks are included on the disc.

The Atmos mix is the most audiophile version I've heard. The dynamic range is huge - much less fatiguing to listen to. I could crank up the volume way up, without shredding my ears.. A wonderful, enveloping mix, all the instruments and vocals are much better defined, compared to the previous 5.1 "studio mix".

And I've had no audio glitches whatsoever, during the two times I've seen this, during the past week.
RIP Eric 'ET" Thorngren. He passed on May 6th, Steve Albini May 7th. Heck of a week :(

I tried ripping, but my BD drive kept ejecting the disc. I finally realized that it was because drive can't handle 4K UHD discs. Damn! I so wanted to add the Atmos layer to my music server. This is the problem with not including both options in one package.
I'm having a go this afternoon as have a 4K drive for pc. Will keep you informed. H

Attachments

• 20240530_124616.jpg
    20240530_124616.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Given that the disc uses seamless branching to insert the extras into the feature when you select “Extended Cut”, is there a way to rip the extended cut properly as one long file? Or will it only rip the main feature with the two extra songs as separate files?

Back