Strange thin happening with SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiveShowCollector

Neil.. Maybe you know..

It's about SACD but I think this is the best place to post it..

I'm here working @ a client (supporting pc's.. Nothing to do with audio)

A few blocks from here there's 2nd hand shop in cd's.. Earlier this week I walk by the shop and see a 2nd hand copy of http://user.online.be/danawinner/discografie/beautiful_life.html this disc .. (Has been released as a Hybrid SACD by Sony..)
It's not my music .. But hey.. MCH disc are hard to find so I buy it

I sit here behind a PC (DELL) and start to play the disc.. Nada .. Nothing Happens.. It won't play the cd layer.. But wait.. It Gets better..

I CAN BROWSE THE (SACD) DVD Part...

Don't think this should happen right...??

As I was busy I didn't think much of it.. Got home and it played perfect (cd & sacd layers) on al players I have lieing around..

And none of the DVD Drives In the pc I have see the SACD Layer (offcourse)

Care to comment..??

It's your DVD drive defaulting to a DVD mode (SACD) that it cannot parse. Straight CD drives will see the CD layer. Newer DVD drives will see both and play (only) the CD layer.

Kal

Kal is spot-on here.
There is absolutely no such thing as an SACD qualified ROM drive for computers. Sony never allowed the software to be developed.

The same thing is also happening with their Blu Ray burners right now:
PC Blu Ray drives will *not* play back a commercial BRD Movie.
It's also not likely to ever happen.

Kal is spot-on here.
There is absolutely no such thing as an SACD qualified ROM drive for computers. Sony never allowed the software to be developed.

Even Sony can change their mind:sun

http://sony.storagesupport.com/BDupgrade/

Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray Disc™ Rewritable Drive
Playback Upgrade & Information Page

INTRODUCTION

The BWU-100A Blu-ray Disc™ rewritable drive is a multi-format burner that can record up to 50 GB of data or about 230 minutes of HDV 1080i video (on double layer 50 GB BD-RE recordable media) It can also record DVD and CD discs. The CyberLink® PowerDVD™ software that is presently bundled with the drive can play back Blu-ray Discs that you record with the BWU-100A (BDAV format BD-RE discs), and even traditional DVD video discs. However, playing commercial Blu-ray Disc content (BD-ROMs) requires your PC to become part of a secure playback environment because the content is protected with AACS copy protection.

The BWU-100A is capable of playing back commercial Blu-ray Disc movies (also known as BD-ROMs), however an upgrade to the CyberLink PowerDVD software is required to make it BD-ROM compatible. Additionally, hardware upgrades to the PC may be required for full BD-ROM support.

Beginning in October, Sony will provide purchasers of the BWU-100A Blu-ray Disc Rewritable drive with an upgrade to the CyberLink PowerDVD software which will provide BD-ROM compatibility. This upgrade, which has been previously unavailable, will be offered free of charge as an electronic download. Customers will only have one (1) opportunity to download the PowerDVD upgrade electronically. If the download fails for any reason or the download is abandoned by the customer, a physical CD-ROM version of the upgrade will be available for a nominal charge by contacting the Sony technical support department in the country from where you purchased the BWU-100A product.

Some BD-ROMs may restrict video output to be standard definition or prohibit analog video output at all. It is strongly recommended that digital HDCP-compliant environment be implemented for optimum compatibility and viewing quality.

Kal is spot-on here.

I Know he's spot on.. All I wanna know is what's happening..

How come I can browse the sacdlayer..??

Is there no protection on the disc..??
Is there something with the drive..??

Can you actually see the DSD streams?
And if so, can they be copied to your HDD? Whilst still leaving them as DSD?
If so, this is interesting - and discWelder Chrome can decode the DSD streams to PCM.....

Yes I could see them..

Haven't tried to copy them .. I started thinking about what had happened when I got home...

It was a pretty simple file structure

2 Folders .. Labeled something like 2CHANN & 51CHANN
and a small (boot)file(?) In The Root..

Then Every Folder Had The Tracks + Some xtra smaller files..

I'll see in two weeks what I can do.. (Then I go back there)

:mad:@: *STILL CONFUSED*

What do you/he mean by this..??

I could go into the directory's & open a file.. (tried to play it in mediaplayer.. Didn't work as I expected)

Gonna try next week to see if I can copy the disc..

Basically I was only posting the link. But from the posted information, I think you can read directory and files names from the disc SACD TOC (Table of Contents). Reading the files themselves must require a special not available driver.

Depends..

These are (normally) dsd files.. So Discwelder Platinum should be able to open them.. Right..??

anyone..??

THere is no such thing as discWelder Platinum.
methinks you may mean Chrome??
If so, then the answer is a large "YES".
Chrome can indeed transcode a DSD file into a PCM file.
It's slow at highest quality - doubtless because of all the ultrasonic crap in DSD streams - but not too shabby.

Then Chrome it is...

But what I was wondering...

- Let's say I can copy those files... Does that mean that there is no protection on those files..?? Or Is the protection cracked by accident...

- Has Neil Nothing else to do today ..?

Happy New Year

Back