Streaming Music Revenue Tops CD Sales for First Time

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My concern with this is that the industry will drive a self-fulfilling prophecy away from physical product, which I and many here still prefer, and the physical discs will become more and more rare. This is great news for eBay and resellers, UNLESS the industry starts making more out of print titles available as downloads.

Frankly it is baffling to me that any industry executive can easily see some high dollar sales of their own product via resale - using a simple web search - for which they now earn zero income, yet they do not try to fill that demand with a relatively low investment in the form of re-release as download.

As for new releases, thankfully most of what is new music is not so interesting to me. Note that most of the new surround releases are new mixes of classic music, or in the case of AF classic mixes of classic music. So the industry who do cater to surround fans seem to understand that the demographic is more in the so-called classic rock/classic quad area, and hopefully they will therefore understand that we still like physical product.

My concern with this is that the industry will drive a self-fulfilling prophecy away from physical product, which I and many here still prefer, and the physical discs will become more and more rare. This is great news for eBay and resellers, UNLESS the industry starts making more out of print titles available as downloads.

Frankly it is baffling to me that any industry executive can easily see some high dollar sales of their own product via resale - using a simple web search - for which they now earn zero income, yet they do not try to fill that demand with a relatively low investment in the form of re-release as download.

As for new releases, thankfully most of what is new music is not so interesting to me. Note that most of the new surround releases are new mixes of classic music, or in the case of AF classic mixes of classic music. So the industry who do cater to surround fans seem to understand that the demographic is more in the so-called classic rock/classic quad area, and hopefully they will therefore understand that we still like physical product.

The profits for streaming vs physical media is considerable...they are going to keep pushing it..but there is still going to be physical media around for at least a decade...if vinyl can survive so can other disc based delivery systems...I remember 3 or 4 years ago when stores were considering not having dvd's in their inventory anymore...but that never happened...I can forsee some troubles ahead for the internet in general...in the US most internet hubs need complete overhauls...with more and more demands(like 4k and more advanced streaming)placed on an already outdated system...and perhaps the biggest problem ahead is the government getting more and more involved with the net...that can only mean headaches for all of us in the US...

I can forsee some troubles ahead for the internet in general...in the US most internet hubs need complete overhauls...with more and more demands(like 4k and more advanced streaming)placed on an already outdated system...and perhaps the biggest problem ahead is the government getting more and more involved with the net...that can only mean headaches for all of us in the US...

Perhaps the infrastructure issues you cite will be just what is needed to delay a blind rush to stop releasing physical product...

i guess one point in regard of CDs sales is missing or totally ignored.
since CDs lifespan is much greater than life cycle for music delivery mediums ever known previously,
i suspect in great part so call "grey" market had collected very high quantity of second hand CDs which
now exchanging hands at very low price and without being monitored for statistical purpose.

While the overall music sales picture remains fairly constant hovering around the $7 billion mark, CD sales have seen a 12.7 percent drop while vinyl saw a 50 percent gain totaling $321 million in sales for 2014. While $7 billion is some serious coin, that number represents a big drop from all time high revenues of $14.6 billion back in 1999.

Yes, heard this on KCBS news radio on Friday. So a supposed "dead" format Vinyl "saw a 50 percent gain totaling $321 million in sales for 2014." I don't believe we have anything to worry about. DVD-Audio and SACD was supposed to be dead not that long ago and could anyone have foreseen it? We are all getting New and Vintage 5.1 and Quadraphonic pouring out like never before! And in many, many different formats too. DVD-A, SACD, CD, BR and Hi-Rez downloads. All this was unthinkable just a few short years ago.

There is a lot more to say about this, but I don't believe just any One particular thing or way to experience music will rule everything. Never has, right?

When music executives read such reports, they must be mindful not to make decisions or sound like the guy at Decca Records who turned down "The Beatles" by adding: "Groups with Guitars are on their way out!"

Yea, I was streaming KRTH Los Angeles yesterday. You wouldn't believe all the ads. Mostly for Walgreens. Like 20 ads in a row, some of which were repeated. Kind of surprised Charlie Tuna is still around though. I think he used to be a Boss Jock. KRTH used to be called KHJ-FM so that makes sense.

The only people who like this news are the ones who run cell phone companies. The more the market moves away from physical media (and downloaded files), the more they can charge for bandwidth. After all, who wants to subject themselves to the endless string of repeated ads and repeated songs that is modern radio. Even public radio (which has mostly dropped music) and college radio (which has either mostly either disappeared or kicked off the students and turned into generic NPR news/talk) can't help, so music lovers are forced to pay.

Back