Styx - The Mission - coming to 5.1 surround Blu-Ray in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine hasn't shipped yet from amazon.com :(

I cannot believe the price drops on this title for the BD~A/RBCD set. With a coupon, Deep Discount was 'blowing it out' for $13.59.....probably the original price of just the RBCD alone.

Duncan, be patient. It'll arrive before you know it. I won't have mine until the middle of next week.

I've been waiting for you to hook up your 203...so I can compare the settings:LOL: I hate to do these set ups...just lazy:whistle:

I know the feeling. I just 'invested' in a new Shunyata Research power conditioner which divides analogue/digital components and if you saw the 'spaghetti' array of wires I have to deal with.......it's frightening! But think of it this way....once it's done IT'S DONE! Just get out the measuring sticks and make sure your speaker distances are correct and the new 203/205 have two HDMI outputs....one's strictly for audio and one carries the Audio/Video signals.

Last edited:
I’m about half-way through, and here’s what I’ve gleaned so far.

At first I thought, “5-channel stereo with a few things flying around”, but that’s really not fair. Maybe I’ve been listening to too many ultra-discrete quad mixes (thank you, Dutton Vocalion), because now when I hear instruments in all five channels I’m skeptical. The fact is that this mix REALLY opens up the soundfield, and sounds fantastic (to my ears). The surrounds are not subtle; there is music coming at you from all directions and occasionally (maybe fair to say a couple times in each song) there are elements moving around the five speakers. But back to my original statement, there IS a lot of stuff in the middle, i.e., coming from all speakers. Some of you don’t like the lead vocal isolated in the center channel (a la Elton John), so you’ll like this mix.

These are my first observations. I’m really looking forward to reading others’ thoughts and listening again from your perspectives.

I forgot to mention - you can choose to listen with or without “visualizations” (graphics for each song), and when watching with visualizations you can choose to have lyrics displayed (or not). Without visualizations, the screen is totally black.

There’s also a 62-minute documentary which I just started watching, and the VERY first thing in the documentary is Tommy Shaw talking about the 5.1 mix, so unlike what we found so often in the days of DualDisc, the 5.1 mix is definitely NOT an afterthought.

Wow... as I keep watching, Tommy Shaw is actually presenting a case for why people can and should listen to 5.1 mixes!

Finally there are some bonus videos, one of which is live, but I haven’t watched any of them yet.

I forgot to mention - you can choose to listen with or without “visualizations” (graphics for each song), and when watching with visualizations you can choose to have lyrics displayed (or not). Without visualizations, the screen is totally black.

There’s also a 62-minute documentary which I just started watching, and the VERY first thing in the documentary is Tommy Shaw talking about the 5.1 mix, so unlike what we found so often in the days of DualDisc, the 5.1 mix is definitely NOT an afterthought.

Wow... as I keep watching, Tommy Shaw is actually presenting a case for why people can and should listen to 5.1 mixes!

Finally there are some bonus videos, one of which is live, but I haven’t watched any of them yet.

this is fab Paul! thanks so much for all the info and so encouraging to hear the love for 5.1! is there any indication who mixed it?

this is fab Paul! thanks so much for all the info and so encouraging to hear the love for 5.1! is there any indication who mixed it?

The liner notes say it was mixed by Jim Scott. I think he is the guy in the documentary talking with Tommy Shaw about mixing for surround, but honestly I missed his name because I was writing the post above.

Back