Styx - The Mission - coming to 5.1 surround Blu-Ray in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was about to pre-order at $23 when the price jumped to $30 so I passed.

So did I. If you buy from Amazon.ca, you have to pay 13% HST, so the total would have been CDN$25.99 … and you only get free shipping if you spend $35. With the 'SHARK' discount, my Deep Discount order came to a total of CDN$26.62 ... shipping included. It will take a week or so longer to get, but I can live with that.

Last edited:
Just ordered...although I did double check the Asin with the Amazon .com details...:rolleyes:
But Mucho Grassyarse...:)

Checking the ASIN is the first thing I do...because you can't depend on the item description.....I'm wondering how much difference in cost for you to purchase on amazon UK vs the US outlets...

Checking the ASIN is the first thing I do...because you can't depend on the item description.....I'm wondering how much difference in cost for you to purchase on amazon UK vs the US outlets...

Amazon UK is £23.97 delivered tomorrow...or £22.08 from their global store.
Amazon .com is £22.94 delivered.

So on that basis I decided to go with UK purchase.
Which is not always the case as I have found one or two bargains via the .com site.

Not checked the other outlets.

OK, I couldn't help myself. I conveniently came home to "take a couple of meetings".

Whoop! Styx Mission is here.....plugged in my virgin Oppo 203. Right away, I love it. It's not for the weak. It's a large, large rocker. It's immersive....with bits of discreet here and there. Way more immersive than anything. It's rock and roll......I love immersive...always have.

And, I've only listened to the first 2 songs. Tons of rock solid bass. Muddy? Hardly, crisp.....it's good. I can't wait to crank this mofo up later with a few beers. Woo - hoo!

More later. It will rattle things...that's for sure.

Amazon UK is £23.97 delivered tomorrow...or £22.08 from their global store.
Amazon .com is £22.94 delivered.

So on that basis I decided to go with UK purchase.
Which is not always the case as I have found one or two bargains via the .com site.

Not checked the other outlets.

I decided to go with Amazon.com as, even with the Customs pre-payment (which may or may not be refunded depending upon what or if the Customs/Post office decide to charge), it worked out a bit cheaper than Amazon UK.

My copy just arrived but the missus is watching her "shows" and I have to respect her privacy. Thank you GOS 3.0 for the reviews.
Guess I'll keep myself occupied with the liner notes. I was surprised that this came in a standard cd two-fer jewel case instead of a Blu-Ray or digipack. UPS delivered & item was inside a soft padded envelope so dead pleased the case wasn't cracked.:SB:SB:SB

OK, I couldn't help myself. I conveniently came home to "take a couple of meetings".

Whoop! Styx Mission is here.....plugged in my virgin Oppo 203. Right away, I love it. It's not for the weak. It's a large, large rocker. It's immersive....with bits of discreet here and there. Way more immersive than anything. It's rock and roll......I love immersive...always have.

And, I've only listened to the first 2 songs. Tons of rock solid bass. Muddy? Hardly, crisp.....it's good. I can't wait to crank this mofo up later with a few beers. Woo - hoo!

More later. It will rattle things...that's for sure.

I like your review so much better than mine! Rock on!

I’m about half-way through, and here’s what I’ve gleaned so far.

At first I thought, “5-channel stereo with a few things flying around”, but that’s really not fair. Maybe I’ve been listening to too many ultra-discrete quad mixes (thank you, Dutton Vocalion), because now when I hear instruments in all five channels I’m skeptical. The fact is that this mix REALLY opens up the soundfield, and sounds fantastic (to my ears). The surrounds are not subtle; there is music coming at you from all directions and occasionally (maybe fair to say a couple times in each song) there are elements moving around the five speakers. But back to my original statement, there IS a lot of stuff in the middle, i.e., coming from all speakers. Some of you don’t like the lead vocal isolated in the center channel (a la Elton John), so you’ll like this mix.

These are my first observations. I’m really looking forward to reading others’ thoughts and listening again from your perspectives.
My apologies Dr. Simple, I missed your review...thank you!👍
I hadn't visited this thread in some time. When the Mission arrived, in my haste I jumped to the last page and missed your post entirely. (note to self -- read before spouting off:rolleyes:)

OK, my meetings are over...and I'm paying more attention to The Mission now. I'll backtrack a bit and say, there is a nice amount of discreet moments....probably more than I eluded to. I would call it a very, very nice mix of big and immersive, intertwined with very obvious discreet pieces...you don't have to strain to hear them. They are there, and tastefully used.

I think this is a big winner.

Back