Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone heard the Morricone Soundtracks quad, would love D-V to have a go at getting this
ENNIO MORRICONE -
Soundtracks. RCA TBD1-1068 (CD4) [Italy], LPQ8 10611 (Q8) [Italy]
{The title above was released only in quad, no stereo version known}
* Bluebeard B/W Scarecrow. Tam YT-1041 (RM45) [Japan]

Has anyone heard the Morricone Soundtracks quad, would love D-V to have a go at getting this
ENNIO MORRICONE -

That's an excellent suggestion(y)...I"ve heard this DVD is quite good and it has a DTS surround option...it was performed in 2004...he has a birthday coming in November...he will be 90

ENNIO MORRICONE -

I've got a conversion of this one I picked up somewhere and it sounds excellent (very discrete). (I don't own the actual disc).

I've got a conversion of this one I picked up somewhere and it sounds excellent (very discrete). (I don't own the actual disc).

I don't know anything about the italian quad and wasnt sure who would have made the quad mix and how it would have compared, especially if it was made in Italy by an engineer without quad experience.

I was tempted by the hugo Montenegro D-V sacd with some of Morrivone's themes but will have to sample it first as sometimes, I find covers to be jarring compared to the originals

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the Zitslian quad and wasnt sure who would have made the quad mix and how it would have compared, especially if it was made in Italy by an engineer without quad experience.

I was tempted by the hugo Montenegro D-V sacd with some of Morrivone's themes but will have to sample it first as sometimes, I find covers to be jarring compared to the originals

A recent favorite of mine recently released as a Hong Kong Stereo SACD [pressed in Japan]: https://www.importcds.com/very-best-of-ennio-morricone/600753665466

I get the distinct impression D-V is doing it for the love, not the money. (But I do hope they are turning a profit. Doing something you love AND making money isn't a job - it's a dream!) I don't mean to disparage A-F in anyway, as they did bring us some great titles including some unreleased stuff, but they did mention a few times that they had stockholders to appease. No matter how many passionate people you have behind the scenes, if you've got stockholders, they're the ones holding your short n' curlies.

Very hard these days to convince other people to accept less money or smaller returns. Greed rears it's ugly head in all aspects of life - the music biz is no exception.

But if Mr. Dutton can bring me some O'Jays Quad next time around, I may just fly to England just to kiss him on the lips. :love::p:whistle:

Today, It is chic to include a surround mix with a big box. It adds spice, sparkle and class. And economically it works in a more expensive set. If it makes a box set sell 1,500 more copies at $59.99 or $89.99, that is a big enough deal for the majors.

So far as OOP titles, while i mentioned to Marshall (at AF) that Shock Treatment was currently OPP, and that there is a quad mix just dying to get out. He stated not OOP in Europe. So he didn't say it was a rule, but he considered how many folks world wide would want this one. So D/V I can see avoiding anything "in print" even if they were available to license. These labels want to cover every angle, and every possible sale/market.

I do agree that having QQ presence online has been very beneficial to us. The labels do drop in now and again and see what we are up to. See what we are waiting for. And us then to go over to the SH music forums and plaster the news there as well is good for business, it's free promotional muscle, and it does = sales.
Is “OOP” really a concern? Or are you just talking about titles in-print on SACD? Because otherwise it seems to me that AF and other labels reissue still-in-print albums all the time. Weren’t both the EWF titles still in print? The Loggins & Messinas? Because if they aren’t still technically “in print”, it seems a lot of retailers still have new copies in stock.

This is a totally off the wall choice, and probably not likely, but how cool would it be if Dutton released the Jaws OST quad mix on SACD?

The Japanese CD-4 LP is actually quite discrete, and sounds amazing.

https://www.discogs.com/John-Willia...al-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/11165173

I submitted the three MCA CD-4 LP release pages (Jaws, Earthquake, Waldo Pepper) into discogs, those are actually my LPs.

Is “OOP” really a concern? Or are you just talking about titles in-print on SACD? Because otherwise it seems to me that AF and other labels reissue still-in-print albums all the time. Weren’t both the EWF titles still in print? The Loggins & Messinas? Because if they aren’t still technically “in print”, it seems a lot of retailers still have new copies in stock.

It does seem like a silly rule as SACD is a high res medium and although it does include a RBCD layer, unless it's purchased 'by mistake' it remains a specialty item.....and is priced as such. And if it contains a multichannel layer it would certainly distinguish itself from a regular RBCD so it does seem ludicrous not to release a title in SACD if the RBCD is still in print.

I don't know for sure? However, D-V is playing in a different market than AF. D-V is structuring its program as reissues of obscure material, not as audiophile re-releases of more popular material. D-V is also getting licenses for the UK, not US, and isn't officially distributed outside the UK. There has been some overlap with more popular stuff audiophile labels want, but not actually that much.

Regardless, I could absolutely be wrong and it may not need to be out of print as a CD in the UK.

good point, i'm not entirely sure being out of print is that major a concern after all, since Cherry Red did a boxset of Derringer with those two albums inside not too long ago (which I quite thought might rule out DV doing them!) and Sony did a Weather Report boxset with Tale Spinnin'.. plus AF did Tale Spinnin' & Musicmagic SACDs (admittedly now technically OOP but neither one is unattainable at this point).. oh and those Chase albums are everywhere having been reissued numerous times over the years on CD in sets of either two or three of their albums..

I don't know for sure? However, D-V is playing in a different market than AF. D-V is structuring its program as reissues of obscure material, not as audiophile re-releases of more popular material. D-V is also getting licenses for the UK, not US, and isn't officially distributed outside the UK. There has been some overlap with more popular stuff audiophile labels want, but not actually that much.

Regardless, I could absolutely be wrong and it may not need to be out of print as a CD in the UK.

well i'd hardly call the likes of;
Billy Paul,
Art Garfunkel,
Santana,
Chase,
Rick Derringer,
Weather Report,
Henry Mancini,
George Benson,
Poco (etc etc) obscure.

who says their releases are not "audiophile"? discs that are touted as having been remastered from the original analogue tapes and issued on the SACD format, that's kinda audiophile territory, imho.

OOP is simply another reason a reissue could be feasible. It's not a prerequisite or deciding factor. It's preferred that no other issue be competing.

Classic Records used to love reissuing titles that were not only OOP, but rare as hens teeth as well. They also did titles found in the used or cutout bins for $1.99. I worked there for a short time and tried to learn a lot about the what and why's of the game. The owner there was no fun to work for, but he had a fascinating take on Audiophile records and good taste, plus knowledge on hi-if collectible records. I never knew that Roy Orbison stereo LPs on Monument were Audiophile treats worthy of the 1/2 speed mastered $25 180 gram reissue. These had been OOP for more than 25 years at that time.

Someone mentioned that D/V go for out of print (in the U.K.) titles mainly. I can see that as a way to avoid competing product out there.

Why wouldn't a reissue label prefer that no one else is selling that title?

well i'd hardly call the likes of;
Billy Paul,
Art Garfunkel,
Santana,
Chase,
Rick Derringer,
Weather Report,
Henry Mancini,
George Benson,
Poco (etc etc) obscure.

who says their releases are not "audiophile"? discs that are touted as having been remastered from the original analogue tapes and issued on the SACD format, that's kinda audiophile territory, imho.
I would call many of these obscure. The Santana is way off the beating path. Household name, but not that album. Benson, that is no Breesin and Chase are a forgotten one hit wonder.

D/V are hitting more obscure titles than what AF were releasing in general.

It's all good, it's the quad masters and better late than never.

Fantastic stuff with more to come.

I would call many of these obscure. The Santana is way off the beating path. Household name, but not that album. Benson, that is no Breesin and Chase are a forgotten one hit wonder.

D/V are hitting more obscure titles than what AF were releasing in general.

It's all good, it's the quad masters and better late than never.

Fantastic stuff with more to come.

well you might call many of them obscure and that's your call, I don't want to have a ding dong over it.. and yes a number of DV's releases have been more obscure or lower hanging fruit but I just can't agree on those I mentioned earlier I'm afraid <<

Art Garfunkel's 2 best albums lovingly remastered in Hi-Res AND in Quad. Obscure?
I think not. They're a hit!

Billy Paul's 2 best albums (remastered, Hi-res, yakkety blah blah you know the drill!) AND in Quad? Obscure? Nah.. you're 'avin' a laff.! :ROFLMAO:

now I've seen people both here and at the SHF clamouring for a reissue of those Chase Quads.. just a forgotten one-hit wonder you say, maybe to the masses but as I'm oft reminded we're a tiny niche within a niche so these releases really hit the spot with the niche market that actually wants this stuff. so it ceases to be obscure, it's (surprisingly perhaps to some) actually in demand from certain quarters, who are presumably part of DV's target market with this Quad stuff!

let's just turn back the clock approx 10 years in this hobby.
do you remember it? i do - and they were grim times. we were getting virtually bugger all in Quad back then.
now at times it feels there are more new releases than we can handle! :p

we are so so so lucky these days.
we all have reasons to be cheerful.
lets all have a positive cheery upbeat Quad-filled love-filled Tuesday if we can! smiling leaves less wrinkles than frowning! :QQlove

...who says their releases are not "audiophile"? discs that are touted as having been remastered from the original analogue tapes and issued on the SACD format, that's kinda audiophile territory, imho.

I'm not saying their releases are not actually audiophile, I'm saying they're not targeted at the "audiophile" market segment the way AF and MoFi and AP are. Just about how they position themselves, and what records they license.

OOP is simply another reason a reissue could be feasible. It's not a prerequisite or deciding factor. It's preferred that no other issue be competing.

Classic Records used to love reissuing titles that were not only OOP, but rare as hens teeth as well. They also did titles found in the used or cutout bins for $1.99. I worked there for a short time and tried to learn a lot about the what and why's of the game. The owner there was no fun to work for, but he had a fascinating take on Audiophile records and good taste, plus knowledge on hi-if collectible records. I never knew that Roy Orbison stereo LPs on Monument were Audiophile treats worthy of the 1/2 speed mastered $25 180 gram reissue. These had been OOP for more than 25 years at that time.

Someone mentioned that D/V go for out of print (in the U.K.) titles mainly. I can see that as a way to avoid competing product out there.

Why wouldn't a reissue label prefer that no one else is selling that title?
all other things being equal, I’m sure they would prefer a title be OOP. But the other side of that coin is that such titles are, by their very nature, in low demand.

The quad titles most requested on this site are very popular titles for which the stereo versions have stayed in print forever. Most of the stereo audiophile reissue best sellers are such titles as well.

Which would be a better seller, do you suppose? For DV to reissue a long OOP Lynn Anderson title? Or something like “That’s The Way of The World” or “One Of These Nights”?

For a label like DV (or any reissue label) the bottom line (assumming availability in the first place) is trying to balance projected sales with the cost of licensing.

I'm not saying their releases are not actually audiophile, I'm saying they're not targeted at the "audiophile" market segment the way AF and MoFi and AP are. Just about how they position themselves, and what records they license.

maybe so wrt their marketing but i don't understand how the titles themselves are a factor.. i mean how do you decide if an album that's never had an "audiophile" release before should ever be considered an audiophile product down the line (once a label like DV tackles it, i mean).

hopefully the quality of the products not up for grabs though, wonderful mastering, excellent liner notes, competitively priced, etc..

ah.. well.. on a more positive note I've just submitted new Discogs entries for the 5 latest DV Quad gems (all the Billy Paul's, the Chase 2-fer, George Benson, Weather Report).. maybe someday this enterprising label might surprise those (who don't reckon so much on their supposed obscure releases and/or lack of audiophile credentials ;)) with something that truly floats their boat.. meantime they're doing what they're doing and imho they're doing it pretty well, long may it continue! (y)

Back