Superstars of the 70's WSP 4-LP 2-tape set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndiamone

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Anybody remember this?
We had it when I was little and it was one of the only ``rock and roll'' tapes my father would let in his `71 forest green Lincoln Continental among all the Andy Williams, Carpenters and Bobby Vinton albums.

And does anybody know whether or not the rumor of a European CD box set is true? I was reading around the Web the other day that they were combining this one and the double-LP/single 8-track Vol 2 and Vol 3 into one box.

Sure you can put it all together yourself from existing CDs just as they would do at any number of reissue companies and make your own - but I was just wondering if the release was impending or not.

Attachments

• Superstars of the 70's 8-track.jpg
    Superstars of the 70's 8-track.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 134
By the time I got the LP's - none of `em were in the box or sleeves. I inherited the LPs along with a hundred other label-oldies/GH compilations (Sessions, Eagle & Hawk Productions, Cornerstone Promotions, etc etc etc) in a Seeburg Audiomation leftover from a restaurant.

http://www.jukebox-world.de/Forum/Archiv/Seeburg/Seeburg6000.htm

So with over 100 cheaply produced maxiflex LPs I was set for music for awhile.

My then girlfriend (who became my first wife) and I bought the 4 LP set when it was released. When we divorced, we split up the records and she got that set. Later, she gave the set to our daughter who then gave it back to me so I now have it again.

It's a very good sampler of the music from those days.

Doug

I had the 4 LP box too, maybe still. great way to hear hit songs without waiting for them to be played on the radio.

Cool, a juke for 100 LPs. Is it the one with the rotary dial? I restored one with the dial on top, the thing needed attention everywhere, mech lube turned to glue, amp rebuild, styli, motor. It was fun, but took a while!

ndiamone, I saw an obscure format last week in some service lit being tossed. Forgot what it's called, but it is a slide projector with 30 seconds of sound that plays from the slide. I couldn't see how the disc was combined with the slide (or separated?) but it had a magnetic groove, a "tape head" type device tracked the groove.

Is it the one with the rotary dial?
Yes - and anybody who wants to restore it for our museum and donate their time and talents is welcome.

I saw a slide projector with 30 seconds of sound that plays from the slide. I couldn't see how the disc was combined with the slide (or separated?) but it had a magnetic groove, a "tape head" type device tracked the groove.
it's either this one: http://www.obsoletemedia.org/kalavox-sound-slide

Or one that I can't recall the name right now that used regular 35MM slides which were mounted on an oversize mount (like one you'd use for 70MM 15-perf or else old lantern slides) that had maybe an inch-wide circle of magnetic-oxide impressed upon the cardboard upon which around 20 seconds of audio could be recorded.

The recording mechanism was similar to a GE Play-Talk (look up on YouTube) i.e. the slide was fitted onto a small external handheld turntable device with a small head mounted onto a small 3-inch long arm attached to a lead screw (as in a home lacquer recorder from the 40s) that included a microphone.

Reminded me of the old magnetic drum recorders the phone companies used to use - not having any grooves on the media meant that ``track'' pitch had to be maintained by a lead screw similar to an Edison cylinder player.

Users would place the slide on the external turntable mechanism which secured the slide in place by its corners and the recording was made the same way people used to make home disc recordings 20 years earlier.

Playback inside the slide projector however was achieved the same way as all those kids' talking book players used to operate - where the book lay flat and the stylus in the player did the rotating - only this time it's the head that rotated instead of a stylus.

At the time it was released, I had every track on it on the original albums, except the Black Sabbath track. Joe has the album that's on, so I guess we're complete. We've rebought them all on CD.

Still, I borrowed the collection from my friend Tony, who had one. I gave it back to him, but just like with Doug, it was a boomerang. When Tony got rid of his vinyl, I inherited this collection, along with all the rest of his vinyl. He was very into vinyl and had an h/k turntable with the Rabco linear track tonearm and an Ortofon MC 20 moving coil phono cartridge. He coupled this with a Citation 16 power amp, Citation 17 preamp and JBL speakers. Nice system!

Here's the LP box:

images-2.jpeg
sot7b_zps701803e1.jpg

images-1.jpeg

Linda, your box is in a bit better shape than mine although every one I've ever seen has gotten flattened over the years. Some of the edges are missing on mine. The records are OK, though.

There are times when I hear a song on the radio or elsewhere and I swear I have it so I look through my records and it won't be among the albums by that artist. Later, I finally remember it's on this set. Like "Hush" by Deep Purple (their best song ever, BTW).

Doug

I bought Hush by Deep Purple on a Tetragrammaton 45 as a new release:
Unknown.jpeg

Later. I got the album on CD in one of the many Deep Purple boxes I've popped for over the years. This one is from the UK:
Mk1-Originals-CD-set.jpg

Linda, your box is in a bit better shape than mine although every one I've ever seen has gotten flattened over the years. Some of the edges are missing on mine. The records are OK, though.

There are times when I hear a song on the radio or elsewhere and I swear I have it so I look through my records and it won't be among the albums by that artist. Later, I finally remember it's on this set. Like "Hush" by Deep Purple (their best song ever, BTW).

Doug

Linda, your box is in a bit better shape than mine

HEY!!!

There are times when I hear a song on the radio or elsewhere and I swear I have it so I look through my records and it won't be among the albums by that artist. Later, I finally remember it's on this set.

When I first got obsessed with putting all my music on a server, I started with the Various Artists section of my collection. Got rid of all that "I know I have that song somewhere...!" frustration.

Back