Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who have pondered the question: Do you believe a man can fly?

81nwJUvgjcL._SL1500_.jpg

A RESOUNDING YES

See the source image

Last edited:
For those who have pondered the question: Do you believe a man can fly?

I really wish they'd issue the version that ran on network TV over two nights 30 or so years ago. I never saw the original in a theater and only learned years later that some of my favorite scenes were actually trims that got re-inserted to pad out the running time.

I really wish they'd issue the version that ran on network TV over two nights 30 or so years ago. I never saw the original in a theater and only learned years later that some of my favorite scenes were actually trims that got re-inserted to pad out the running time.

I think there's so few 4K movies being released today in relationship to Blu ray and even DVDs [yes, they're still making those in surprisingly appreciable quantities] the studios are giving us just the theatrical versions of the movies only [with FEW exceptions like the Apocalypse Now multiple cuts].

In the case of Superman The Movie, thankfully it's NATIVE [and NOT supscaled] from the original camera negative in 4K resolution and have no idea what shape the 'inserts' for the TV version are in. Perhaps they could've included in on the accompanying blu ray disc in 1080p quality ... but alas, NOT.

Perhaps this is the version you're seeking: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Superman-The-Movie-Blu-ray/189338/#Review

Just came back from SW the rise of Skywalker in IMAX 3D

I liked it...lots of eye candy and earth shattering sound....the SFX guys really know theuir shit; the scene where Palpatine is on the holographic video has such a detailed sonic "globe" that I doubt it'd be easily reproduced on a home system....

The Dead Center (2018):
1. Solid indie horror.
2. Really well shot/directed/acted.
3. A decent, discreet surround mix.
4. This was my first movie with the new SVS PB3000 subwoofer. I thought I had it calibrated correctly (using a few tunes to help get the level right) but had to drop it 28dB(!) once the LFE kicked in during the opening scenes of the movie. It felt like the initial moments of an earthquake. Truly frightening.
5. Definitely worth a look. Tons of extras on the BD too (the director's short movies and radio plays). You can buy the Region B BD here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Cente...the+dead+centre+blu+ray&qid=1578170293&sr=8-1

IMO, the BEST Gremlins has ever looked since it's theatrical release. Nicely remixed 5.1 soundtrack as well in 24/48 [the old BD~V was 16 bit] Native UHD 4K from the original 35mm camera negative

711wkYZ-0cL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: GOS
The Dead Center (2018):
1. Solid indie horror.
2. Really well shot/directed/acted.
3. A decent, discreet surround mix.
4. This was my first movie with the new SVS PB3000 subwoofer. I thought I had it calibrated correctly (using a few tunes to help get the level right) but had to drop it 28dB(!) once the LFE kicked in during the opening scenes of the movie. It felt like the initial moments of an earthquake. Truly frightening.
5. Definitely worth a look. Tons of extras on the BD too (the director's short movies and radio plays). You can buy the Region B BD here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Cente...the+dead+centre+blu+ray&qid=1578170293&sr=8-1
IMHO it was a mistake turning the sub down.Just let the whole house rumble.:ROFLMAO:

Saving Private Ryan 4K:
1. I'm late to the party watching this on 4K (only watched it once on DVD since seeing it at the cinema when it came out) but if anyone hasn't picked this up, it's reference grade stuff in terms of fidelity and surround mix (Dolby TrueHD 5.1 at my place).
2. I'm more of a The-Thin-Red-Line-90's-war-movie kinda guy but the battle at the end of SPR is really exciting. Good times.

The Guilty (2018): I thought I'd posted about this a few weeks ago but I can't have so:
1. Solid Danish thriller set at an emergency call centre where the dispatcher has to figure out what's happening from mysterious calls.
2. Great direction and performances, especially from the voice actors.
3. A decent surround mix given the one location.
4. Some really good lows that'll have the couch rumbling.
5. Region A-locked BD here: https://www.amazon.com/Guilty-Blu-r...ords=the+guilty+blu+ray&qid=1578774268&sr=8-1

Back