Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, totally forgot that one, how many others? :unsure:

Pupster, Ian Holm, age 88, had a long and distinguished career including The Fifth Element, Chariots of Fire, Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Time Bandits and Brazil to name a few. At only 5'5", he was a powehouse of an actor.

May he R.I.P.
See the source image

Last edited:
I see the SciFi (SyFy) channel is showing this tonight at 8:30 pm PST - I always enjoy this movie; cant' even tell you how many times I've seen it :unsure:
I have seen this a few dozen times, it´s a movie that will always stand many views, Luc did an amazing job and the cast is stellar...

So many reasons not even to enter a movie theater anymore...

... and NO rude movie patrons'yaking' behind or in front of you, NO sticky floors and if the flick's boring....at least you didn't waste 20 bucks in the process.

...but who wants even to see what constitutes cinema techniques these days?

... All the movies I've seen in digital looked dull and washed out to me.

Ain't it the truth?

Pale and pallid color palettes, extreme contrast ratios nearly obliterating subtlety of detail in any shot, seizure-inducing herky-jerky camera movements, fast-cut editing rendering most action sequences incomprehensible, all of it ubiquitously dominates 21st century film making.

I could get past much (not all) the story-line burdening, slapped-on PC clichès of the year/month/week/du jour/hour inserted into every blasted "blockbuster" Hollywood's made the past 20 years.
I could side-step many (not all) the changes to an established character's race, sex, abilities, wit or apparent intelligence.
I could tolerate some (not all) indistinct dialog, blaring soundtracks/poorly calibrated sound systems, truly inept or badly sung "theme songs."
All of the above found within modern films.

But I cannot and will not ignore how damned ugly today's movies look.

How unpleasant the viewing experience has become, over and above all the other theater-attending drawbacks so thoroughly and frequently noted!

And if you want multiple examples of what I mean look to any and all of the Daniel Craig James Bond flicks.
That's a series that once would have -- unreservedly -- brought me to a theater!

PAY to see same on a gigantic screen?
Never again.

<end off-topic rant>

I’ve seen many 70mm presentations also, but most were in the 70’s and early 80’s. Far and Away was in 1991, decades later. And it was actually filmed in 65mm, not just blown up. By then, projection and lens quality had deteriorated to the point where the advantage was nil. Not my opinion, but that of industry veterans.

I think I've been to a movie theater six times since retiring in 2015:

1. "The Hateful Eight" 70mm Ultra Panavision: Weaving, soft focus

2. "Get Out" digital: Perfect

3. "2001: A Space Odyssey" Digital IMAX: Great sound, very disappointing picture

4. "2001: A Space Odyssey" 70mm Super Panavision: Too contrasty

5. "Us" Digital: Perfect

6. "Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood" Digital: Perfect

I think I've been to a movie theater six times since retiring in 2015:

1. "The Hateful Eight" 70mm Ultra Panavision: Weaving, soft focus

3. "2001: A Space Odyssey" Digital IMAX: Great sound, very disappointing picture

4. "2001: A Space Odyssey" 70mm Super Panavision: Too contrasty

6. "Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood" Digital: Perfect

Saw Hateful Eight in 70mm too. Looked fine, but the postage stamp multiplex screen was too small to see any benefit.

Have you seen the 4K Dolby Vision transfer of 2001? I’ve seen this in 70mm, and it NEVER looked this good before. The new trailer is just breathtaking. Unfortunately, Apple took it down and replaced it with the crappy original. (Old trailers never look good. They’re always from a beat-up, aged copy — by definition never the original negative).

Once Upon a Time in 4K Dolby Vision on my OLED?
Just as you say.
Perfect.

Saw Hateful Eight in 70mm too. Looked fine, but the postage stamp multiplex screen was too small to see any benefit.

Have you seen the 4K Dolby Vision transfer of 2001? I’ve seen this in 70mm, and it NEVER looked this good before. The new trailer is just breathtaking. Unfortunately, Apple took it down and replaced it with the crappy original. (Old trailers never look good. They’re always from a beat-up, aged copy — by definition never the original negative).

Once Upon a Time in 4K Dolby Vision on my OLED?
Just as you say.
Perfect.

I did see 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm upon its release in a 'boutique' Manhattan Theater AND IT WAS SPECTACULAR. And the Native UHD4K release is brilliant, as well, but miss that MASSIVE BIG SCREEN EXPERIENCE.

As for Tarantino's ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD. I found it a massive disappointment. Thought the storyline was trite and his revisioniost handling of the Sharon Tate Murders which I lived through was BULLSHIT.

For a more thorough encapsulation of Old Hollywood, I found Ryan Murphy's revisionist NETFLIX series HOLLYWOOD much more engaging and it was telecast in 4K.

As for Tarantino's ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD. I found it a massive disappointment. Thought the storyline was trite and his revisioniost handling of the Sharon Tate Murders which I lived through was BULLSHIT.

I have wanted to watch this for sometime. Now maube I'll move it to the "when ever I don't have anything better to do" category. Still, big fan of Tarentino & most of his movies. They do take a sort of commitment to time & paying attention to.

For a more thorough encapsulation of Old Hollywood, I found Ryan Murphy's revisionist NETFLIX series HOLLYWOOD much more engaging and it was telecast in 4K.
Didn't see it in 4k but I was made aware of it from other posts on QQ. I agree with you & would highly recommend it. The series ended too soon. I was ready for more. Sounded best with 2 ch down mix into the Surround master.

Back