Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you like your LG? Trying to decide between an LG or Sony 77" OLED

Do you want to know a secret?
Do you promise not to tell?

Read on ...

My 77“ LG OLED for $4200 last year is the best consumer electronics purchase I’ve ever made. It’s so revolutionary, I can’t get anyone to believe me. The extreme brightness and contrast, though stunning, actually freaked me out. Took me six weeks to get used to it.

The Sony OLED panels are the same panels made by LG. They just slap on the Sony name and claim slightly better processing and charge more. Plus I’ve found a little-known way to buy the LG’s at about half of Best Buy’s current selling price.

My advice: if you’re buying a new big-screen up to 77”, don’t go NEAR anything but OLED. It’s really annoying to watch the video industry mags try to pretend the Samsung QLED’s are even comparable. Anything you’ve read claiming that is flat-out bullshit.
As you know, “organic” means “produces its own light.” Each and every pixel does that. Anything with the letters “LED” in it is basically the same tired, decades-old LCD screen technology: an elf shining a flashlight through layers of plastic. Full-array, local dimming, quantum dots ... more elves, more or smaller flashlights, but still the same concept. Doesn’t take an industrial engineer to see you’ll never get an optimal picture that way. Today’s QLED’s are much better and brighter than older ones, but that’s not really saying much. LCD was never the quality leader at any time (my 2002 plasma always looked better than my 2011 Sharp LCD). LCD’s edge was production cost and capability: if you wanted big screens, until recently, it was LCD or projection (even worse). OLED’s finally caught up in size, but it took awhile and the biggest ones are still very pricey.

Or so I thought.

Last year, the current model 77” LG was $8000 at Best Buy (and other front-line retailers). The previous-year model could be had for $7000, and I could discern no difference at all between them. (OLED is not making big strides year-to-year because it’s the hardware that matters — and it’s such a radical jump that there’s already no obvious way to improve it.) I didn’t want to pay that, so I started searching.

And searching.
And searched some more.

And I found a curious thing.

Some flaky-looking sellers I’d never heard of were selling the very same older model for absurdly low prices, like $3600 to $3900. They looked like scams, so I checked reviews, and sure enough they were just that. Kinda. Yes they were dishonest, but only in that they were pulling jerkoff tricks like forcing you to buy a BS extended warranty or tacking on extra fees. Sometimes they flaked on delivery. But no one who actually ended up paying said they didn’t get the TV or that it wasn’t the model promised. So I kept checking, and found a seller in my city — Los Angeles — on eBay with a good rating who offered it for $4000 plus tax and free delivery. I ordered it, and three days later was watching a new state-of-the-art OLED for a little more than half the retail price.

I haven’t checked the 77” lately, but I found the 65” LG OLED C9PUA for $1100 in about a minute. That might not even be the lowest, and it’s half the $2199 price for the current model at Best Buy.

What the hell’s going on here?

My belief is this: the biggest competition LG has for this year’s OLED is ... (drum roll) ... last year’s OLED. They can’t afford to have them around. This is specifically a problem with OLED because they’re still expensive and don’t change much year-to-year. If Best Buy were to offer the current and former models side by side, with one half the price of the other, that would be a real problem for both the retailer and LG. So they don’t allow it. Instead they try to blow out the old screens through unknown online dealers — quietly and quickly. A few minutes of research can sure pay big dividends. And allow you to buy the absolute state-of-art display for only a slight premium over yesterday’s news.

You’re welcome.

Do you want to know a secret?
Do you promise not to tell?

Read on ...

My 77“ LG OLED for $4200 last year is the best consumer electronics purchase I’ve ever made. It’s so revolutionary, I can’t get anyone to believe me. The extreme brightness and contrast, though stunning, actually freaked me out. Took me six weeks to get used to it.

The Sony OLED panels are the same panels made by LG. They just slap on the Sony name and claim slightly better processing and charge more. Plus I’ve found a little-known way to buy the LG’s at about half of Best Buy’s current selling price.

You’re welcome.
Thanks for the info. I am looking at replacing my aging 12 year old LG 47 inch tv and Sony was one of the brands I have been considering. Looks like I should get another LG. :)

Have to disagree there.

Do you know why THX certification was created?
George Lucas saw one of his movies in a theater and said WHAT THE %#¥€ WAS THAT? It wasn’t just the sound. Many theater owners quietly started cutting projection lamp wattage by a third to save money. He took a dim view of that.

Then the lenses. I saw Far and Away, one of the last features to be filmed in 70mm, at the Cinerama Dome and could not discern any improvement. I read how even the filmmakers were disappointed and blamed it on declining lens quality.

And finally, those awful prints. In the last days of celluloid projection there was so much shaking I got headaches.

All these issues went away with the digital switch. Film is gone for good and I’m glad. Truth is, digital cameras and projection now far surpass film (check out the Netflix Breaking Bad film in 4K Dolby Vision if you doubt this). We just need to get theater owners to upgrade to 2020 standards (the ones we have in our home theaters). I get that they don’t want to do this, having just spent a fortune switching over from film. But that, as they say, is why they get paid the big bucks (for popcorn).
I've seen hundreds of movies in 70MM and even though most were blown up from 35MM there is no contest. All the movies I've seen in digital looked dull and washed out to me. Perhaps when they upgrade in the future to higher resolution I will give it another shot.

I've seen hundreds of movies in 70MM and even though most were blown up from 35MM there is no contest.

You missed my entire point.

I’ve seen many 70mm presentations also, but most were in the 70’s and early 80’s. Far and Away was in 1991, decades later. And it was actually filmed in 65mm, not just blown up. By then, projection and lens quality had deteriorated to the point where the advantage was nil. Not my opinion, but that of industry veterans.

I've seen hundreds of movies in 70MM and even though most were blown up from 35MM there is no contest. All the movies I've seen in digital looked dull and washed out to me. Perhaps when they upgrade in the future to higher resolution I will give it another shot.

And let's face it Philip, THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME. The snacks are cheap and if you have to use the facilities, there's always the pause button ... and NO rude movie patrons'yaking' behind or in front of you, NO sticky floors and if the flick's boring....at least you didn't waste 20 bucks in the process.

And let's face it Philip, THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME. The snacks are cheap and if you have to use the facilities, there's always the pause button ... and NO rude movie patrons'yaking' behind or in front of you, NO sticky floors and if the flick's boring....at least you didn't waste 20 bucks in the process.

And no COVID.

dude ...not funny... was watching "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" last night!!!!

Heath Ledger's LAST movie appearance ..... and HE WILL BE MISSED. Ever see TIDELAND, Kap?
91RJ7KxQJiL._SL1500_.jpg

You missed my entire point.

I’ve seen many 70mm presentations also, but most were in the 70’s and early 80’s. Far and Away was in 1991, decades later. And it was actually filmed in 65mm, not just blown up. By then, projection and lens quality had deteriorated to the point where the advantage was nil. Not my opinion, but that of industry veterans.
I also saw Far and Away and I had a completely different experience than you. The super Panavision 70 looked incredible.

Wasn't sure where to put this one-

Ian Holm has passed.
Star of the Lord of the Rings movies, but I remember him more as the robot in the Alien movies.

View attachment 52813
View attachment 52814
It is too bad he couldn't make it to his eleventy-first bithday. Just seems like he should. But then again, who does?

I had forgotten about his role in Alien! One of my faves of his was in a Johnny Depp movie From Hell. Not a very popular movie but one of my faves because of Ian Holmes & the twist at the end.

It is too bad he couldn't make it to his eleventy-first bithday. Just seems like he should. But then again, who does?

I had forgotten about his role in Alien! One of my faves of his was in a Johnny Depp movie From Hell. Not a very popular movie but one of my faves because of Ian Holmes & the twist at the end.
I see what you did there! ;)

Back