• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

The Columbia "Underground" Quad Reels of the late '70s

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

ClarkNovak

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I was wondering the same thing. Several of these titles listed above have been showing up lately :)

rustyandi

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Is the partial Kooper/Bloomfield Live Adventures that is around from Mike Robin's list?
Yes that is on the list I have sent a copy to Jon
If I have done the right thing e will put it on the board
Ron

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Does anybody have the Big Brother & The Holding Company "Cheap Thrills" Quad Reel? I would love to hear that one. Also, what's the story on the Quad Reel "Pearl" having TWO versions of Mercedes Benz? Two different attempts at the same take? I was under the impression that was the ONLY take of MB as it was just a quick vocal run-through.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Thanks to longtime QQ member 'rustyandi', I now have a photocopy of the original Mike Robin list, and will create a webpage for it here at QQ. Give me a day or two, as I'm working on an updated chart for it right now. I will also include links to the original scans as well. There are 52 reels listed!!

georgeshannon

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Also, what's the story on the Quad Reel "Pearl" having TWO versions of Mercedes Benz? Two different attempts at the same take? I was under the impression that was the ONLY take of MB as it was just a quick vocal run-through.
Yes there are two versions of MB. I believe they are two different mixes of the same take. That was my impression anyway.

filper

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Thanks to longtime QQ member 'rustyandi', I now have a photocopy of the original Mike Robin list, and will create a webpage for it here at QQ. Give me a day or two, as I'm working on an updated chart for it right now. I will also include links to the original scans as well. There are 52 reels listed!!
Wow, I'll be watching for that...

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
OK everyone, thanks to 'rustyandi', I have created the web page with the offical list and some info on these Columbia quad reels.

Check it out here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-CQ4mr.html

And if you have anything to add, let me know in a PM. That way, the information source will stay private!! :D

Let me know what you think. (I had a hell of a time with the table, freaking MS!!!)

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Amazing. Simply amazing. Ask any average Joe about Quad and the few who can remember it, recall it as a dismal failure that didn't stick around long. And yet, here we are 35 years later uncovering magical little gems like this. It really boggles my mind to imagine all the time some engineer spent sitting at a mixing console, trying to come up with a GOOD Quad mix. Now, this list confirms that there may have been alternate mixes done - I would imagine either to satisfy SQ requirements and/or artist/producer/fat cat approval. This is really fascinating stuff.

bmoura

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Wow! That is just fascinating. Who knew?

proufo

Since 2002/2003
Amazing. Simply amazing. Ask any average Joe about Quad and the few who can remember it, recall it as a dismal failure that didn't stick around long. And yet, here we are 35 years later uncovering magical little gems like this. It really boggles my mind to imagine all the time some engineer spent sitting at a mixing console, trying to come up with a GOOD Quad mix. Now, this list confirms that there may have been alternate mixes done - I would imagine either to satisfy SQ requirements and/or artist/producer/fat cat approval. This is really fascinating stuff.
With very little idea or conviction of what GOOD means.

(y)

westgate

300 Club - QQ All-Star
SO MANY QUAD R2R PLAYERS, SO FEW QUAD R2R TAPES...

i was up to three akai 10" quad r2rs with only about 8 quad factory recorded quad r2r tapes.

whats a quad r2r tape lover to do...

buy a fourth akai 10" r2r quad deck, that's what!

so i did...

akai gx-400d-ss. delivered three weeks ago. now i just just need some of those columbia quad tapes...

Attachments

Last edited:

jefe1

Thanks for posting this fascinating information. Theres probably even more that we don't know about that never got released and went into the dumpster. Unless some recording engineer makes a death bed confession about what he mixed, we'll never find out.

Group builder