The MIRACLE of VINYL (???)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I always liked the booming bass and mix of Fleetwood Mac's "Live" LP...and I always thought it sounds great..as it is, this is supposed to have been MIXED to early digital..

BUT, I listened to it the other day and was quite suprised to find out that the signal itself went FAR ABOVE 20K...
Sooooo
WTF?
Is my setup SO "biased" and bright that it makes a DIGITAL mix sound so bright?(a normal Technics TT with an Ortofon OMP-20 stylus!)
I have other LPs that were mixed to early digital and sound a bit "muffled" but this one is just like a normal analog mix...

The "miracle"...is it the fact that , when the cutting is done, it ADDS harmonics?? Or could it be that it was a NON LINEAR PCM???
please chime in...I really can't understand how this DIGITAL MIX has this much stuff above 20K!!!!!
here is side A of the LP....
FMac Live A.jpg

Is your disc perhaps a DMM (Direct Metal Mastering) disk? - Wiki

It's a 1980 release, around that time this new technology was introduced, and many releases here in Germany were cut with this technology.

-Kristian

Is your disc perhaps a DMM (Direct Metal Mastering) disk? - Wiki

It's a 1980 release, around that time this new technology was introduced, and many releases here in Germany were cut with this technology.

-Kristian

Hey Kristian;
Nope , it's not a DMM...
Funny you should mention that because another VERY SIMILAR case is TFF's "Seeds of Love", which IS a DMM mastering and , it's another digital (this time RECORDING AND MIX) that goes all the way up past 30K!!!!

Which is pretty strange, since the recording technique was still 16 bit 44,1kHz at that time. And that forbits anything above 20kHz in the recording. Maybe unsufficient filters which leads to undersampled remnands in the sampling process leading to anti-aliasing?

The playback side improved later on with 2-times and 4-times oversampling, or one bit sigma delta conversion ("Mash", or what was it called?). But recording was still 44.1kHz until the nineties where DVD-Video, DAT tape, and the like popped up, and they improved the sampling rate to 48kHz.

-Kristian

I have heard that the Ortofon stylus (especially mine, the OMP-20) are "brighter" than others, but this is s bit inexplicable....

I was an Ortofon dealer for many years. I've used their moving coil cartridges as my main phono cartridges since '78. I own 3 MC's and an MM. Yes, they are a tad bright, but not overly so. Any cartridge they've made has far higher frequency response than the specs they publish, which is certainly a good thing, IMHO.

I have heard that the Ortofon stylus (especially mine, the OMP-20) are "brighter" than others, but this is s bit inexplicable....

Back