The new Zappa remasters (UME 2012)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I have to say all in all I am really pleased with the remasters - Especially the ones from the original analog masters. As I am writing this I am listening to the Grand Wazoo disc and IMO it sounds a ton better that my Ryko. I have some of the vinyls from back in the day and most of the Rykos but I have enjoyed these new discs much more. I know all about the digital reverb added to the Rykos but it goes even deeper. These sound really fresh and natural. I can't wait for the next batch.

All of the remastered titles that we're going to get have been released. The remaining UMe reissues will be the same as the Rykos, with the exception of Mothermania (never before available on CD) and a new compilation called "Understanding America." There also should be a "Roxy Prequel" before December, according to Gail Zappa, and possibly a 200 Motels reissue.

The REMASTERED TITLES (all from analog, except for "Them Or Us"):

Absolutely Free
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Chunga's Revenge
Fillmore East, June 1971
Just Another Band From L.A.
Waka/Jawaka
The Grand Wazoo
Over-nite Sensation
Apostrophe(‘)
One Size Fits All
Bongo Fury
Zoot Allures
Studio Tan
Sleep Dirt
Sheik Yerbouti
Joe's Garage Acts 1, 2 & 3
Tinseltown Rebellion
Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar
You Are What You Is
Them or Us (*the only digital remaster)

Bob, a bit of a cross post but if you have the Zoot Allures remaster, have you played it through the Reality Technology box? If so how does it sound? I always thought it would have great potential

Can anyone tell me is AB FREE still has the 'bonus' single track dividing the two sides? Don't remember the title, but it was mono, whereas the original album master used for CD was the stereo mix. It was on the Ryko disc originally, as I recall, and presumably the single was never mixed to stereo and FZ didn't have multis for that one from which to remix. Shoulda been stuck on after the album was over, but for some reason, he sandwiched it between the sides.

ED :)

If you are referring to "Why Don'tcha Do Me Right", it is there in all of its original mono glory.

Are these remasters for real? Actual 24 bit (96k?) masters? Not just another bait & switch reduced to CD fiasco?

Back